Calling all vegetarians...

Options
Kait_liiin
Kait_liiin Posts: 31 Member
Help! I'm running out of ways to use tofu, chickpeas, and lentils!

I'd love to hear your best vegetarian recipes; I'm thinking specifically warm dinner main dishes.

Thanks in advance!
Kait

Replies

• MissVitaVonCherry
    MissVitaVonCherry Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    you ever try using the veggie crumble type poducts from morning star?
  • nparlapiano
    Options
    Curried Chick Peas over brown rice

Saute 1 onion & 1 green pepper (i like a lot of vegies) in a little Olive oil
    1 can chick peas
    1 tbspn curry
    salt & pepper to taste

saute onions and peppers, add a can of chick peas, salt & pepper to taste & the curry powder. Saute for about 5 minutes and serve over brown rice.
  • Advengirl
    Advengirl Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    :) I've got a couple recipes up my sleeve...
    Currently, I'm on a chili kick!
    -1 can of black beans
    -1 can of kidney beans
    -1 small can of corn
    -1 large yellow/sweet onion (or a red onion will do in a pinch!)...diced and sauteed/steamed
    -1 can of tomato paste
    -1 can of diced tomatoes in tomato juice
    -lots of fresh garlic (or garlic powder if you're out)
    -chili powder, cumin, & cayanne pepper to taste

Literally throw everything together in a pot and bring to a simmer.
    It's a cinch to through together and has lots of good fiber etc. Very low fat...
    If you need a few extra calories for the day, you can top with FF sour cream and sprinkle with cheddar cheese.

It's great over brown rice, with corn bread, or all by itself :D
  • nparlapiano
    Options
    Roasted vegies over pasta or rice is super easy too.

red pepper, green pepper, mushrooms, squash, garlic, onion, eggplant, whatever vegies you can find. Cut them about the same size.

Preheat over to 400

Dress vegies in a little EVOO, salt and pepper

Roast for 20 minutes or so, stirring in between
  • mello
    mello Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    My hubby is working on eating less meat so I try to help him out, here are a couple of things I do for dinner:

Spaghetti (whole wheat noodles and an organic jar sauce) in place of the meat I add LARGE container of fresh sliced mushrooms...they are so thick they have a "meaty" texture.

Wraps- I cook a whole chopped onion, red bell pepper, green bell pepper and season it. I then put some spinich on the wrap and put a spoon of that hot veggie mix on the spinich and it will somewhat melt it. I then drizzle an EVOO/Balsamic Vinegar dressing over it and make the wrap.

Tostadas- I toast up corn tortillas in the oven on a cookie sheet, then I spread each one with refried beans on the bottom, then shredded lettuce, then top it with tomato, chopped onion (or some pico de gallo) and avacado.

Go to Yahoo and type in "vegetarian recipes" in the search field and a whooole bunch of recipes will come up, you can filter them by meal, etc over on the left hand side of the page. I've found this to be very helpful.
  • nehptune
    nehptune Posts: 138
    Options
    oh yeah! i just made a really fab quinoa salad, it's good warm or cold...

cook 1 cup dried quinoa (i put in half a veggie stock cube to give it a bit more flavour)
    dice 1 large sweet potato/yam and roast for ~40 mins (I usually just spray it with olive oil spray and sprinkle with some herbs)

add 1 diced red bell pepper, 1 chopped avocado and the roasted sweet potato to the cooked quinoa
    season with the juice of 1 lime, some cayenne pepper and salt and pepper

serves 4

great for packed lunches, and quinoa is ultra good for you!
  • jenusell
    Options
    My newest thing is Quorn. It is meatless and soyless crumbles that are PERFECT in so many recipes! But, if your a vegan you can't have this as I believe it is primarily made of eggs...:flowerforyou:
  • OliveBranch
    Options
    Baked Acorn Squash w/ Wild Rice!
    So delicious.
    Great for a warm winter meal.
    http://www.happycow.net/recipes.php?id=296
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Last night I just steamed some baby carrots, 1 zuchinni (sp?) and some mushrooms. I ate that over some whole wheat penne with some baked tofu (marinated in soy sauce). It was better than I was expecting. No oil or cheese or anything.

Seems straightforward but I've been a vegetarian for a while now and I was feeling stuck before I came up with that.

Another thing I like is a few lentils with brown rice and mushrooms mixed in with some spinach and cheddar cheese in a whole wheat tortilla. Pretty tasty.
  • pilateswithamy
    Options
    I'm not a vegetarian, but I did recently buy several cookbooks from Moosewood Restaurant....They are the best recipes ever...Don't even miss the meat! Some of them do have fish in them, The two that I have are Simple Suppers and New Classics. Everything that I have made has been over the top fabulous...If you don't want to buy them, check out your library!
  • Kait_liiin
    Kait_liiin Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions.

I made this last night and it was pretty good...

Balsamic Spaghetti Squash with Goat Cheese:

Ingredients:
    1 spaghetti squash
    3 tbsp olive oil
    salt and pepper to taste
    1 onion, sliced thin
    4 cloves garlic
    1 medium eggplant, diced
    1 bag of fresh spinach
    4 roasted red peppers, chopped
    1/4 cup fresh basil and parsley
    1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
    4 oz. goat cheese

Preheat oven to 375 degrees and bake squash with 1 tbsp olive oil and salt and pepper for 45min-1hr.
    Heat remaining oil in deep saute pan. Add garlic and onion and cook 3 min. Add diced eggplant.
    When eggplant softens and browns, add spinach, red peppers, and herbs. Saute for 5 min. Add balsamic vinegar and cook on low heat for several minutes.
    Shred squash with fork and add to vegetable mixture.
    Crumble goat cheese on each serving and garnish with fresh basil/parsley.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I came across a fabulous recipe this afternoon-- Chick Pea and Sweet Potato Curry

http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=22271.0

I'm eating it right now and I can't believe how good it is (when I came across it, I thought "ew, sweet potato and curry?!"). The way I made it (I used an entire can of full-fat coconut milk instead of the recommended 1 cup), 1/6th of the recipe (a generous portion) has 242 calories. I put that on top of 3/4 cup long grain brown rice for a total of 404 calories. It's really really good.
  • LittleSister
    LittleSister Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I've been eating more of the "fake" meat items than I used to. I've never really been into them before, but I'm finding they're helpful in keeping my protein up, and they're low fat. I like the breakfast patties and the ground round, especially.

Also, do you like tempeh?
  • kylielouttit
    kylielouttit Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know any great recipes that don't have tofu or fake meat in them? I can't stand either of those! I want to eat less meat but am not sure where to get started.
  • quinnybear
    Options
    My newest thing is Quorn. It is meatless and soyless crumbles that are PERFECT in so many recipes! But, if your a vegan you can't have this as I believe it is primarily made of eggs...:flowerforyou:

the quorn products are made primarliy from mycoprotein which is basically a fungus. but its a very DELICIOUS fungus! but yes, most (if not all) of the products contain eggs so its a no-go for vegans. but the quorn products are amazing. i used the chik'n tenders in a stir fry and my husband thought it was real chicken.