First-timer half marathon runner...

Options
ajzmann
ajzmann Posts: 147 Member
Hi all!

I'm gearing up to run my first half marathon in a little bit less than a month. Anyone else doing the Chicago Rock N Roll OR have done it in the past and can offer some words of wisdom?

Right now, I'm SO excited. Running has become such a big part of my life that I didn't realize was missing. It's the thing that keeps me moving almost every day.

Replies

• little_princess
    little_princess Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I don't live in in the US, but I just wanted to say good luck and have fun!! i just did my firat half marathon on Saturday!xx
  • djanesnl
    djanesnl Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The chicago rock and roll is going to be my first half marathon also! I'm nervous, but excited. Good Luck!
  • zoeemily89
    Options
    I'm starting training for my first one in September (a little early, I know) and can't wait! Would love to hear any training tips for first timers too!
  • little_princess
    Options
    For my traiing, I tried to up my mileage every week. I also tried to add in a variety of different workouts, so i didn't get bored. On your long runs, cary with you what you will run with on race day...water bottle, gels, etc. I also took it really easy the last two weeks before race day!

On race day, show up early!! i almost missed my start because we were running late!!xxx
  • little_princess
    Options
    oopppss....lots of typos lol

*training
    *carry
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    In the beginning, it's very exciting. Be careful and watch your pace. It's easy to get swept into the moment and start out too fast. I just did the San Diego Rock N Roll run. Lots of fun.
  • ajzmann
    ajzmann Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Yay for the runners! I've been following Hal Higdon's plan (I used his for my first 8K and for the 10 mile race I ran last month) and think it works pretty well. I did buy a little water bottle for my longer runs which helps, especially since it's been so hot here lately.

Less than a month...eeeks!
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I did my first one last year and currently training for my second in September. I used Hal Higdon's novice training program. I run 3 days a week and crosstrain on the other days. Good luck!
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I'm training for my first half in November right now. Quick question: how many miles/run and miles/week are you doing?
  • ernielaurie
    Options
    I'm doing my 6th in Sept. Whatever you do look good for the finish line photo!!! You'll treasure it forever!! I don't have any other advise except be ready for the finish line rush!!! You will have such a rush, I started to cry on my first, not out of pain but out of happiness at finishing!!!
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
  • zakismom
    zakismom Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Remember to run YOUR pace. It is so easy to get swept up in the excitement and start out faster then you would if you were just on a training run, or trying to keep up with others out on the course. Know yourself and stick to what has worked for you during your training. Also, have FUN, RnR events have lots of bands along the way to entertain you and usually lots of folks cheering. I have done several different RnR races (and lots that weren't), and although there are things about their events I would change I usually end up having a great time. This may sound strange to some, but I always carry my phone with me (its also my IPod and camera) and I like to snap a few pics along the course, I have a photo album of things I have taken pictures of along various race courses (historical sites, buildings, entertainment, people, etc...) and really enjoy looking back at my view of different courses. Also, once you get cleaned up after and head back out to celebrate your accomplishment WEAR YOUR MEDAL. You will not be the only one walking around town showing off the bling and after all you EARNED it. Good luck!
  • spartangirl79
    spartangirl79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I'm starting training for my first one in September (a little early, I know) and can't wait! Would love to hear any training tips for first timers too!

I think your timing is perfect! My training started yesterday w/a local running club and the one I want to do is September 15.

There's another group training for the 10K on the same day, and they started yesterday, too. You should be good!
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Good luck!! :) I've just started my half marathon training for a run in Spetember!!
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I'm currently training for my first half marathon in November. I just got nervous typing that, lol
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I'm currently training for my first half marathon in November. I just got nervous typing that, lol

You WILL kick *kitten*!
  • decdav
    decdav Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Looks like there are a lot of people going for their first! Mine will be August 19th in Providence, RI! My goal is to finish it before they kick me off the course!
  • rubytOU
    rubytOU Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Run your own pace. Drink water/gatorade... carry a fuel belt and bring pretzels or energy gels, whatever works for you... try all of these while you are training and DO NOT try anything new or wear any new attire/shoes/socks on the day of your race because you will hugely regret it.

You will be hella anxious so I recommend bringing tissues as well in case you need to step off the course to *ahem* go potty. ;)

For me a lot of running long distances is the mental part. I never think I can make it until I pass 10 miles, I question my sanity and curse myself for ever putting on running shoes.... after I pass that 10 mile sign and clock then I start feeling like a rock star because all i have left is a 5K! :)

Good luck training. Remember for your 1st... the only goal is to FINISH. at least, it was for me. :)
  • auntv77
    auntv77 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I ran Chicago RnR Half 2 years ago and will NEVER run a RnR EVER again.
    You will wait 40+ minutes to start.
    The water stations are messy at best - and poorly staffed and stocked. Walk through them or to go the far outside to avoid slipping on the thoguhsands of cups they don't clean up.
    The porta potty lines are INSANE - give yourself plenty of time to stand in line.
    Once the route loops back onto the lakefront path watch for the run/walkers who immediately stop running in front of you as soon as their watch beeps.
    If you find yoru like the distance I highly recommend the Rockford Half or any other smaller race so you can actually run at your own pace instead of getting crushed the whole time.
    Be safe! Run your own best race!
  • bakay138
    bakay138 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    It's always important to drink a lot of water but it is particularly important the week of the race. It isn't enough to drink a lot before and during the race, that just leaves a lot of water in your stomach. Drinking a lot of water in the days leading up to the race will leave a lot of water in your cells. My experience has always been that when I have done this, I always race easier.

Also, if you are going to use gels or sports jelly beans or anything like that, make sure that you have used them during your training and that they agree with your stomach. You have to drink a lot of water with gels or for many people they upset the stomach. Gels don't agree with me, so I had a Lara bar halfway through the 1/2 marathon. That with gatorade and water got me through it.

If friends are willing to come out to support you, plan for places along the route for them to be. I had friends/family at mile 3, mile 7, mile 9 and the finish. It made it so much easier mentally to tell myself that I just had to keep running until I reached the next group of friends/family! It doesn't help to have ten people waiting for you at the finish line if you ran 13.1 miles all alone!

As you probably already realize, so much of this is mental. I assigned each mile to a friend or family with the last three miles being for my husband and children. As in, mile one I ran for my niece, mile two I ran for my close friend Jenn, mile three for my Mom, mile four for my Dad, you get the picture. I told them which mile I was running "for them" and that kept me going! I couldn't rightly tell my adorable six year old niece that I quit while running her mile, could I? Or tell my eighty five year old Dad who toughs it out on kidney dialysis that I couldn't run a mile for him? ? Ditto the same for my children! It was a silly thing but it kept me from ever considering quitting during the race.

A previous poster made a comment about looking good at the finish, this is true! As you approach the finish line make sure you have a smile on your face! You will treasure that picture forever!!!