Tricks to slow down when you're eating?

Options
No joke, I look like a hungry dog when I sit down to eat. And I'm usually not even hungry...It's like a magic trick, really. I can make a plate of pasta disappear in less than 5 minutes. As we all know, this leads to over-eating because it takes much longer than 5 minutes for my body to realize that I'm not hungry anymore. But, as long as the food is there, I'll eat it. And wayyy too fast.

I'm trying to stop. It's all about self control. I don't do it because I'm greedy and want all the food as fast as I can get it. I think I'm just used to being so busy that I feel like I don't have time to eat (I'm a teacher---I get 20 minutes for lunch. That doesn't mean just lunch, that means running around and getting last minute errands done too, so I don't have to be at school too late.) So I try to do everything as quickly as possible...including eating!

So as I am eating breakfast this morning, I'm trying to slow down. My mom always said to take a bite of your food and tthen take a sip of water. Never 2 bites of food in a row without water in-between, basically. It seems like common sense but it really is helping me slow down.

Does anybody else have this problem? If so, how do you control it? I wanna hear 'em!

Have a great Tuesday, everybody! SI SE PUEDE, SI SE PUEDE!

Replies

• GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    well, at least you recognize what you are doing!

Just portion out the food before you start eating and don't get seconds. Doesn't matter how fast you eat it then! After you finish, jst think to yourself that if you are still hungry, you can eat a snack in an hour or two. Most of the time you won't.

If you didn't enter the food before you ate it, take some time after you finish eating to log it. That way, you are still "slowing down" between your first plate and - if you must - your second.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    I'm a fast eater, too. I think mine comes from just wanting to leave the dinner table asap as a kid so I didn't have to listen to my family, ha...then having two small children and having to eat while I helped them, etc. I agree with portioning it out and just eating how you eat. If you set your amount, then it doesn't really matter. I'm almost always the first person at the table done.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    No joke, I look like a hungry dog when I sit down to eat. And I'm usually not even hungry...It's like a magic trick, really. I can make a plate of pasta disappear in less than 5 minutes. As we all know, this leads to over-eating because it takes much longer than 5 minutes for my body to realize that I'm not hungry anymore. But, as long as the food is there, I'll eat it. And wayyy too fast.

I'm trying to stop. It's all about self control. I don't do it because I'm greedy and want all the food as fast as I can get it. I think I'm just used to being so busy that I feel like I don't have time to eat (I'm a teacher---I get 20 minutes for lunch. That doesn't mean just lunch, that means running around and getting last minute errands done too, so I don't have to be at school too late.) So I try to do everything as quickly as possible...including eating!

So as I am eating breakfast this morning, I'm trying to slow down. My mom always said to take a bite of your food and tthen take a sip of water. Never 2 bites of food in a row without water in-between, basically. It seems like common sense but it really is helping me slow down.

Does anybody else have this problem? If so, how do you control it? I wanna hear 'em!

Have a great Tuesday, everybody! SI SE PUEDE, SI SE PUEDE!
    Do you know how to use chopsticks?

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I usually read while I eat so I switch back and forth from reading to eating however many doctors, dietitians, etc say that sitting down to eat with no distractions helps your body recognize when its full. (One has to be eating at a normal pace though and not gorging on their food>)
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I recommend the book "Savor" by Thich Naht Hahn - it's an awesome and entertaining guide to mindful eating.
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Put your fork down every couple of bites.

When eating something with a spoon, pick a smaller spoon than you would normally.
  • Terryism
    Terryism Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    One of the tricks my husband was taught after his Lapband surgery was to say a sentence after every bite. I have the same problem with eating fast, I always rush because my baby doesn't give me much time to get things done, lol!
  • selzam2
    selzam2 Posts: 34
    Options
    Try possibly cutting your food into smaller pieces and eating piece by piece. Counting to 10, 20, 30 or whatever number you like in your head as you chew can also prolong the eating experience and leave you feeling more satisfied! At least it works for me =)
  • rachel_kiel
    Options
    I have the exact same problem! I call myself the world's fastest eater because my food disappears so quickly. It's embarrassing and really unhealthy =|
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I found putting the fork down after each bite helped. Take a bite, put the fork/spoon down and wait until the first bite is done before taking another.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...it really depends on the situation, but I find that I eat WAY less when I am sittng and talking with people while I eat. If you are sitting at your desk at work that would be hard to do, but maybe the sips of water thing would help. Or pound a full glass of water right before you eat so your belly already feels full.
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    People ask me if I was in the military because I inhale food when I eat it. Never was in the military, but in college I had to eat quick be it I was hurrying between classes or at work at night or on the go between school and work, etc... I have tired to slow down but I just never have been able to do it. However, I had a proceedure done Friday that is currently making it hard for me to get the food down my esophogus so I am having to chew things a bunch before I can swallow. I am doing all I can to force myself to eat as I am sick to my stomach and just don't feel like eating and when I do feel like eating it hurts to eat. I hope maybe this will help me to learn to slow down and chew more and take more time between bites.
  • graceleigh614
    Options
    I do the same thing. I'm a nurse so I never knew how long I would get to eat before being called away. I try just to put the amount of food I'm allowed on my plate, try to put down the fork inbetween, chew each bite really, really well, etc. I also try not to drink too much with my meal. It will liquify your food and you will not feel as full as long otherwise.
  • Buckrussell
    Options
    I do the same thing. It's horrible. I have tried talking while eating and it works, but sometimes I eat alone and I end up over eating. Try eating Tappas and see if that helps. I notice that when we go out and I eat that way, my meal lasts an hour or more and I end up sharing half of my food. I'm seriously thinking about making plates that way at home just to limit my intake and to stretch my meals out. It also seems to make my body feel full for a much longer time as well.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    1) Drink a whole glass of water before you eat.
    2) Make sure you chew each mouthful 5 times before swallowing.
    3) Actually take time to enjoy the flavour and texture of the food.
    4) Eat with someone and talk to them.
    5) Figure out why you need to wolf the food down and deal with that. You're not a wolf! Wait, you aren't related to Monica Geller are you? http://www.friends-tv.org/zz803.html
    Do you know how to use chopsticks?

:D

I suppose if the answer is "No" then your answer is "Even better!"
  • PaveGurl
    PaveGurl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I try to eat with other people to slow myself down.

I set my fork down after each bite.

Reading helps.

I also used to set a timer for myself - and challenge myself to take longer to eat than I'd set the timer for (I'm kinda competitive).

I stop and really THINK about what I'm eating - analyse the flavours, what I like, what I don't, is this still as delicious as it was when I began?

Only put on half the food I'm planning to eat/ that I've allotted myself, so I have to get up and get the rest.

(Those are some of my tricks)
  • rmsrws
    rmsrws Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I cut everything up into thumbnail size pieces. I take one piece at a time and sit my fork/spoon down in between bites. I also look at the clock when I start and try to pace myself. My dietician said it takes about 12 minutes for our bodies to realize we are eating. Most people can finish a meal in 7 minutes. So the faster you eat the more you eat!
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Becoming aware is your first step. From there, it's all about making the choices and taking action
  • Prilla04
    Prilla04 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • wantstolooseweight
    wantstolooseweight Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    It wont help you at lunch time but for the first 15 minutes use a toothpick to pick the food up, tell yourself after 15 minutes that your allowed to use your knife and fork