What do you do for exercise when you have sore muscles?

Options

Replies

• darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Weighted upper body work eg shoulder presses, bench presses, pull ups (assisted if you want), dips... or ab work eg hanging toe to bar leg raises, crunches, bench leg raises (depending on strength of core).

Or just cycle on an exercise bicycle.
  • FlyEaglesGuy
    FlyEaglesGuy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Walk and stretch !

Toe touches and plenty of protein!
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I go for a run :)
  • bobie1978
    bobie1978 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I usually walk!
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    plenty of water, eat a few bananas, stretch and work out those same muscles. Seems counter-intuitive, but if you don't work out the sore muscles, you will stay sore for a long time!
  • jenniebean1680
    jenniebean1680 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Do some non-intense cardio and stretch those glutes afterwards! And if you have a foam roller, roll it out! Getting on the floor and rolling your glutes around on a tennis ball or lacrosse ball will hurt like hell but you'll feel better faster!

PS nice work getting the DOMS! :)
  • Neondragonfly
    Neondragonfly Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Wow you guys jumped at answering my post :)
    Thank you so must for your help. I'm gonna all your suggestions on board and try them out and see which one works best for me.

You guys are great!! :)
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Get MOAR PROTEIN. Seriously, it will aid recovery. :)
  • Neondragonfly
    Neondragonfly Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    oops, supposed to say thank you so much!
    What a dummy!
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Walk it off! and no strolling along either, really get moving! Your body will feel so much better afterwards.
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Sore muscles are an indication of something...in the more typical context, that you've over exerted those muscles. If they are sore enough to ask about, then they are probably sore enough to rest on or two days before you get back to it.

My typical experience is that the soreness is at it's greatest two days after I have exerted enough effort to cause the soreness in the first place. I typically keep my activity on the light side though I probably would stretch and maintain some lower level of activity simply because it feels better than having muscles go from sore to stiff.

Rest and repair for another day.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    The soreness (as opposed to ligament or tendon pain!) is just your body's way of telling you that you did great!
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    walk...
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I have really sore muscles, particularly in the thighs and buttocks area. eeek!
    I want to exercise but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what exercises I could do to overcome this horrible muscle pain.?

Drink LOTS AND LOTS of water, and perform the same exercises (at a lower intensity if you must). Make sure you are getting reasonable amounts of potassium, iron, and proteins. Keep blood flowing to those muscles and give your body the tools to repair them and they'll heal up more quickly and be much stronger than before.

Soreness/ache is good for you. It means your muscles are building and toning. As your overall fitness improves, you'll find that the ache is at a lower intensity and you'll learn to look forward to that "I just pushed myself to my limits and expanded them" sweet, sweet ache. In the beginning, however, it can be painful.

Sharp intense pain, particularly around the joints, means you need to STOP and figure out what is wrong immediately.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Hot bath with epsom salt and menthol/eucalyptus oil! And plenty to drink, and lots of electrolytes.
  • amandab1669
    amandab1669 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Exercise more... thats the only thing that helps me...

I have to agree. A few weeks ago I started a new exercise program which has me doing exercises that I have never done before. For the first couple of weeks every inch of my body ached but I kept with the program got my body used to the exercises and during the third week I was hardly in pain anymore. Sometimes your body just has to get used to the exercises. Keep pushing through and you will be okay
  • debloves2ride
    Options
    warm up those muscles, do some stretches and the back at it
  • met42485
    met42485 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Walk it off and stretch it out. Then a warm shower. Not too hot because thats bad for circulation. But there is nothing I've found simpler or more effective.

^^this

I walk for 10-20 minutes then do a yoga video followed by a shower. If you have the space/time a warm bath with Epsom salt helps too. The biggest thing I've found is not to sit still for longer than 20/30 minutes at a time if I can help it. Any longer than that and I start to get stiff.
  • bubsyh
    bubsyh Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Stretch more after exercise (and before it). Drink low fat milk (it may not work for you but the protein boost helps me).
  • cari4jc1
    cari4jc1 Posts: 233
    Options
    Swimming! I like to take the kids swimming on rest days or days that I am too sore to do a dvd. It's great exercise without the impact.