NEVER full

Options
I hope i'm posting this in the right topic. I diet during the week fairly strictly and take it easier on weekends. I don't usually go calorie crazy on the weekends, but I do get take out food or go out for food. The thing is I never ever get full. I'll go out with my boyfriend who is 6'3 (i'm 5'3 for reference) and we tend to order similar things. For instance, we will each get chinese food. I'll get sesame tofu (my guilty pleasure) and he'll get sesame chicken. I guess I don't eat as much rice as him, but we each finish our box of food. When he is done he says he ate way too much and feels so full. I feel like i could eat a whole other box... or two. I don't. I generally know when I should be full so I stop eating. But it bothers me that I never feel full. I'd really like to feel full. I try drinking lots of water, but it still doesn't seem to help. I'm never in the position where I don't want to finish whats on my plate because I have had enough food. I'm not overweight. My BMI is about 21.9. But what the deuce is going on?

Replies

• cwinottawa
    cwinottawa Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Fiber from plant foods could help you feel full. A huge salad with a reasonable quantiy of dressing is not too calorific but does make you feel full. All foods that contain lots of water and/or fiber will.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i do low carb, and i rarely have an appetite. i eat a salad with some protein, and i'm full for the day.
  • heatherina1983
    Options
    Boredom? I tend to feel like i'm not full but if I distract myself I forget about wanting to eat.
  • bartleby9
    bartleby9 Posts: 30
    Options
    I eat tons of veggies normally. Lot's of protein like tofu and fish and greek yogurt. So I'm getting lots of fiber. Besides weekends, I don't eat many carbs (2 pieces of light whole grain toast and the pasta that is in one of those fish healthy choice meals is generally all the carbs I do. Any other theories? OR, any other methods of feeling full?
  • damorzacon
    damorzacon Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I eat tons of veggies normally. Lot's of protein like tofu and fish and greek yogurt. So I'm getting lots of fiber. Besides weekends, I don't eat many carbs (2 pieces of light whole grain toast and the pasta that is in one of those fish healthy choice meals is generally all the carbs I do. Any other theories? OR, any other methods of feeling full?

I don't know what your specific nutrition goals are, but maybe try some heavier proteins? Chicken, turkey and pork do a lot more for me than fish does.
  • bartleby9
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian. I have been thinking of eating chicken again, but then that opens up chicken wings as a possibility and a lot of food I wouldn't otherwise eat but that is pretty unhealthy.
  • damorzacon
    damorzacon Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I figured you might be a vegetarian. :)

I don't know how well this would work for you, but my wife and I will blend frozen fruit, spinach and flax seed with a splash of juice or almond milk and it's really filling. I think the flax seed expands and helps you feel full.

We'll also add protein powder if we're drinking it after a workout.
  • bartleby9
    Options
    I haven't tried flax seed. I have been trying to do the low carb thing. Granted I really don't know what I'm doing in that regard. I'd like to loose lbs, so I try to go low carb, but I'm not sure if that actually helps or not.
  • bartleby9
    Options
    Just want to say I've been trying the flax seed for about 2 weeks now. I find it does keep me from getting hungry a little longer than I would get otherwise, but feeling full is not the same. Still, I'll continue to use it. Plus, OMG it tastes SOOOOO yummy in my plain greek yogurt.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Protein Fluff.

That'll fill you up.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Over the past 5 days, these are how many calories you left "remaining"

I have a novel idea for you - how about eating up to your target? Then maybe you won't be hungry.
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Try upping your fat - I know it may sound counter-intuitive because of the 9 calories per gram, but fat and protein are much more filling than carbs (they trigger an appetite suppressant hormone in your body).

Add some coconut oil or olive oil to your foods. Have some higher fat greek yogurt.

Also, as Taso pointed out sarcastically, eat more! :)

---
    Upon closer look at your diary, you really aren't eating enough - assuming you're tracking all your food.

You shouldn't be under 1000 calories/day regularly and you should be aiming for 1200 every day. If at 1200 calories, you're still always hungry, then start taking some of this advice.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options

I have a novel idea for you - how about eating up to your target? Then maybe you won't be hungry.

^This! Most days your net is less than 1000 calories. You aren't eating enough overall.
  • WarriorMom2012
    WarriorMom2012 Posts: 621 Member
    Options

But...but...that makes sense and then what would she have to post about???
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options

But...but...that makes sense and then what would she have to post about???

^^ For the win! :drinker:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm missing something? You (OP) said you had eaten enough that you should feel full but didn't, correct? I'm not sure that eating more or different things will make any difference. It's possible, but it's also possible that your body simply isn't telling you that it's full even when it is. Prader-Willi syndrome can cause this, though it's usually diagnosed as a child But there may be lesser problems with the hypothalamus that could cause this. It can also be a sign of an eating disorder, but since you recognize and control it, that also seems unlikely.
  • bartleby9
    Options
    I haven't been putting in all my food intake. Generally, I end up with no less than 1000 calories per day.
  • lesliezhang
    Options
    If you don't mind feeling a little bit nauseous, try eating a large apple on its own. I tend to feel slightly ill for the next couple of hours which makes me lose my appetite, lol.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I haven't been putting in all my food intake. Generally, I end up with no less than 1000 calories per day.

still way too low. :noway:
  • losecandy
    losecandy Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I never full either. I'm not a vegitarian. My dr. Put me on a medication called symlin. She said cells in your stomach are suppose to tell your stomach your full, but sometimes it doesn't work. I used the medication for a couple of weeks and it helped. The medication was so expensive I had to discontinue its use. I spoke with my weight dr.who prescribed an appetite suppresant.