Jillian Michaels DVDs what one to start with???

Options
Hello everyone,

I read a lot about Jillian Michaels DVDs and I would like to try it. However there is few of them and I’m not sure what one to choose. What’s the difference between 30 day shred, Ripped in 30 and extreme shed shred??? Could you please advice me witch one to start with??

Replies

• Curvimami
    Curvimami Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

I read a lot about Jillian Michaels DVDs and I would like to try it. However there is few of them and I’m not sure what one to choose. What’s the difference between 30 day shred, Ripped in 30 and extreme shed shred??? Could you please advice me witch one to start with??

Many ppl tend to start with 30 day shred, its 20-25 minutes long and ppl tend to stick with it. Ripped in 30 is usually next in line as it is a little more difficult than 30DS. Im not sure about her other dvds. Yoga meltdown, 6 week 6 pack, and Killer Buns and Thighs are usually supplemental to 30DS, Ripped in 30 etc
  • margaretasid
    margaretasid Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thank you :)
  • srhershey
    srhershey Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I have done the 30 Day Shred and it's a great one to start with. I also have her Last Chance Workout which I LOVE because the people on the DVD doing the workout are from the Biggest Loser instead of people who are already fit and skinny. It helps motivate me to complete each circuit, if they can do it, so can I. Good luck.
  • cari4jc1
    cari4jc1 Posts: 233
    Options
    Out of those I would start with 30DS especially if you are just starting out exercising in general. It's short and it goes quickly. Extreme Shed & Shred is my favorite out of all the ones I have of hers. It is hardcore, but it is a lot of fun because there's so many different types of exercise in it. It's 2 30 minute sessions. You can do them separately or together.

I also have 6 week 6 pack, yoga meltdown, banish fat boost metabolism, and 30 DS. I usually do a mixup of all the dvd's each week just because I like variety.
  • margaretasid
    Options
    Wow great thank you. Do you exercise with DVD every day?
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I agree witht he shred. It is meant to be done daily but many people give themselves rest days.
  • bubsyh
    bubsyh Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I started the 30 day shred. Today. It hurts.
  • MommaToFour
    MommaToFour Posts: 106
    Options
    I did the 30DS first, then ripped in 30, then killer buns & thighs. I'm on day 7 today of the 30 day shred it's my second time around. I incorporate that along with jogging. I take a day off here and there but I count by actual days of doing it until I get to 30. I had amazing results the first time finishing the 30 DS. I wasn't doing any other work out with it at that point and lost 4 inches off my waist alone!

Also, take starting measurements. I only lost 5 pounds, but lots of inches!!! If I wasn't keeping track of inches I may have gotten discouraged half way through and quit. Don't quit!!
  • margaretasid
    Options
    Wow thats great mommatofour !!
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I started with 30 Day Shred, and will complete Ripped in 30 on Thursday. My mom mentioned wanting to do it, so I bought her 30 Day Shred, but I also got her a new set Jillian has for beginners. It's called Jillian Michaels: For Beginners (Frontside/ Backside Combo) & they have it on Amazon for under $12. They also sell the two (frontside and backside) separately, but it's much more cost-effective to buy the combo. Anyway... This one is a little slower paced, I believe, and has people from Biggest Loser on it as well. I've not tried this one, and the last time I talked to Mom, she had only done it once... But it sounds like a great place to start if your fitness level is a bit lower (not saying it is, as I have no idea lol). Beyond that, though, I believe that 30 Day Shred is also a great place to start. Once I finish Ripped, I'll be doing Jillian Michaels Kickbox FastFix. :smile:

ETA: Jillian has always recommended doing these workouts 5-6 days per week with at least one rest day per week. The whole "30 Day" part is a marketing ploy and she even states the 5-6 day recommendation at the beginning of Ripped. I do her programs 5 days per week, something else the 6th day and have one rest day. I also agree that you should definitely take pictures AND measurements because you will be surprised in the changes you see!
  • mom2my5sons
    mom2my5sons Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I started with Jillian Michaels' For Beginners (also released as 'Frontside'). It was a good place to start. I could start doing just 2 circuits, and then work up to doing all 6 when I had the time and energy. I'm doing the 30 DS now, and now that I'm at day 5 it doesn't hurt anymore, but it is definitely a good workout for me. It depends on your fitness level. I don't know if I could have just started the 30 DS and kept at it........my muscles wouldn't have known what hit them!!
  • a_new_dawn
    a_new_dawn Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I have just finished ripped in 30... i don't think i could have got through it if i hadn't done 30DS first! The shred was a BIG help in establishing my strength and stamina. I start 6 week 6 pack on Thursday (combined with no more trouble zones).

so i recommend you do 30DS, then RI30, the 6W6P.

You could of course do a rotation of a selection of JM's DVD if you are the sort of person who gets bored of repetition. Throughout my shred and ripped i would do the odd day of Yoga meltdown, shred it with weights and Banist fat boost metabolism to keep things interesting. Yes, i'm a bit of a Jillian freak :/
  • hmcminton
    hmcminton Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    i started out with 30DS but continued on with a lot of her other workouts (Ripped in 30, Shred It with Weights, Yoga Meltdown, Banish Fat Boost Metabolism, Extreme Shed & Shred). By far my faves are 30DS, Yoga, and Extreme Shed and Shred.... Extreme is crazy hard and kills me each time i do it (i do the full dvd, about 1.5 hours). Her dvd's have prepared me for P90X which i am now in the last phase of... wouldn't be able to do it without Jillian's workouts first!
  • MommaToFour
    MommaToFour Posts: 106
    Options
    Also, I use 5 pound weights. You may want to start with 3's and work yourself up. I have a friend that uses 8 but she's crazy fit.
  • mariposa224
    Options
    Also, I use 5 pound weights. You may want to start with 3's and work yourself up. I have a friend that uses 8 but she's crazy fit.
    I started with 3 & moved up to 5 as well.
  • MelissR75
    MelissR75 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    My advise is along the same lines as the others.. 30DS first then RI30. I found RI30 to be tougher than 30DS so Im glad I did that second.
  • margaretasid
    Options
    Thank you very much for all posts, its great help. My fitness level is quite low. I am running and in 3 weeks taking part in Race for Life 5K run ( will die at the end of it im sure).

I know there are levels in all those DVDs. Will i know when to jump to the next level? Or i just do it when i feel like it?
    Also i want to do that exercise in the morning. Is that possible or will i be dead and unable to walk??
  • mariposa224
    Options
    Thank you very much for all posts, its great help. My fitness level is quite low. I am running and in 3 weeks taking part in Race for Life 5K run ( will die at the end of it im sure).

I know there are levels in all those DVDs. Will i know when to jump to the next level? Or i just do it when i feel like it?
    Also i want to do that exercise in the morning. Is that possible or will i be dead and unable to walk??

I do it in the morning (I get up around 5:15 Am just to do it.). Most people do each of the levels in 30 Day Shred for 10 days, but there's no hard fast rule. If you don't feel ready, don't move up until you do. Most people seem to find that after 10 days, they're ready to move on just because they're tired of doing the same routine and want to try something new.
  • margaretasid
    Options

I do it in the morning (I get up around 5:15 Am just to do it.). Most people do each of the levels in 30 Day Shred for 10 days, but there's no hard fast rule. If you don't feel ready, don't move up until you do. Most people seem to find that after 10 days, they're ready to move on just because they're tired of doing the same routine and want to try something new.

Thank you. Thats about the same time i want to do it :)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    collagevideo.com has tons of information on her DVD's. You can watch video clips, see the workout length, they give impact level, equipment needed & more. I don't buy DVDs without checking here first (I need low impact).

There are also dozens of reviews .... this site is super helpful.