Which is cheaper for fresh fruits & vegs..

Options

Replies

• bloodbank
    bloodbank Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Our farmers market here is way more expensive than the stores, but the stores are horribly overpriced too haha.

Same here - I'm in central Canada. The goods are very nice at the farmers markets and I think it's often worth it to 'splurge' on them, but for the same money I only get about 1/4 of the things at them that I can get at ye olde grocery store.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    You gotta do both. Farmer's Markets are locally grown -- stuff there will most likely last longer in your home. Look for markets that don't use fancy building and have smaller overhead -- stands along the road will have the best prices.

Somethings though, you aren't going to find at your local farmer's market and super markets have sales you should take advantage of. Things like peppers freeze really, really well if you cut them off their core -- so do berries, string beans, corn and asparagus. If you find those things on sale -- load up and freeze them for fall/winter.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I wanna stock up on some fresh, yummy, fruits & veggies.but I wanna get my moneys worth on a budget. Do you feel you get more deals at farmers markets in your area or stores?

I generally find that the farmer's market is cheaper, but you have to shop around a bit. There's also a lot of what I call "yuppy chow" at farmer's markets, like really expensive olive oils and in a lot of cases really overpriced packaged items that you can actually get far cheaper at the supermarket. There are also people who buy things at the supermarket and take them out of the packaging and try to sell them as "organic" at really high prices.

If you stick with looking for the pickup trucks with the tattered tent hanging off the back, you can often find some really good deals on freshly-harvested vegetables. The farmer's going to sell it to a wholesaler who will get a 200% markup by the time it gets to your supermarket anyway, so they'll sell it to you for merely double what they would have gotten from the wholesaler, which can be REALLY cheap.

Get to know pricing at your local grocery store, then hit the farmer's market. Buy stuff there you can get cheap (be flexible about what you buy, because at a farmer's market the real bargains are whatever happens to be in season - at the supermarket they ship stuff in from long distances anyway, so everything's pretty much always in season). Then go to the supermarket and stock up on what you can't buy from the farmer's market.
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I love to support local farmers so I'm willing to pay more at a farmers market. Unfortunately, they're usually held during the afternoons when so many of us are at work so that leaves me first heading to Aldi's where you cannot beat the prices, especially if you go the day they get their stock. You do really have to watch sales when shopping at grocery stores, but if you have a local fruit/veggie stand, you can get some great deals - at least that's what I've notice around my area. There is a great place on my way home that has been around forever - open year round. I can buy veggies and fruit for a week and only spend $15 - as long as you buy the specials for the week.
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    The politically correct thing to say ALWAYS is Farmers Market, but the truth is it depends when it comes to quality but never price.
    I get much better quality and value at Walmart superstore, but the food Nazi would argue against that.

I am not out to make any social statements - just give me the best deal for my money.
    Walmart!:drinker:

I HATE shopping at Wal Mart.. I mean Hate. I love going to Farmers Markets.. Ours where I'm at are SO MUCH CHEAPER!! I'm glad they are too =) I guess it depends on where you live.
  • simonek91
    simonek91 Posts: 18
    Options
    When I have time, I really prefer to buy my produce at farmers' markets. I just find that it looks fresher and tastes better. I've found that it's best to shop farmers' markets just before they pack up for the day (like 30-45 min. before it's scheduled to close) because the sellers want to get rid of their goods and not have to take it all back with them. Therefore, you might be able to bargain and get some great produce for a couple dollars less.
  • amandalfn
    amandalfn Posts: 24
    Options
    Market for sure!!!
  • Leslietheriot
    Leslietheriot Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I find that my local supermarket is cheaper than our local farmers market...and honestly, the quality is about the same.
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I find farmers markets a bit expensive and if something isn't in season they get their stuff imported too.
  • wyldling
    wyldling Posts: 35
    Options
    I find the farmers market around me is cheaper because they offer assistance for those with food stamps (which I am unfortunate enough to be using at this time and am embarrassed to admit this). They have it where 10 dollars worth of food stamps counts for 20 dollars in market money if that makes sense. If I don't then I usually buy from the co-op because after eating a cucumber and blueberries that tasted like hairspray from a local grocery I can't help but be turned off by them. Definitely check out your farmers market to see if they offer deals like that. Also a lot of local farmers might offer packages where if you buy directly from them they will save you a bit of money and guarantee fresh produce to your home ^-^

On a side note just about farmers markets, I won't buy eggs from the super market because after buying from the farmers market the taste just doesn't compare. Chickens that are allowed free range to scratch and eat insects are phenomenal compared to anything I have ever purchased in a store. You've gotta try it if you eat eggs.
  • lizzardsm
    lizzardsm Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    If you are on a budget, you'll often find that frozen veggies are much cheaper than fresh (but I don't think that's the case for fruit). There's also some evidence that frozen veggies are more nutritious than their fresh counterparts in the grocery store. The difference is that fresh veggies are picked long before they are ripe so by the time they arrive at the grocery store they are ripe or just under-ripe. Frozen veggies stay on the stem/in the ground/etc. until they are ripe and then are promptly frozen. Since they are allowed to grow longer they have more nutrients.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    I watch the sales at the grocery store and also find bargains at a small farmers market in the small town where I live. I recently had an experience at the grocery store with our local strawberries. I live in the "berry capital" of northwest Washington state. Since the berry season is very short here, I usually buy California or Mexico strawberries which run about $1.99-$299 per quart, year around. The other day, I noticed a "local berries" sign on the grocery store reader board. I stopped in and couldn't believe my eyes! The local strawberries were $7.99 a quart!! Due to the short season and rainy weather here, sometimes the local berries aren't very sweet or sometimes have bad spots on them. This year was a good season, but I wouldn't pay that price if they were the last strawberries on earth. I am all for supporting local products, but not this one. This also goes for the local raspberries. The county where I live grows more red raspberries than anywhere in the world. Most of them are contracted to Smucker's, but when you go to buy them in the store they are usually about $3.99 for a half-pint.
  • stephanj
    stephanj Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I totally agree about the farm eggs. Since I have been eating free range, I can't go back to the "sweat shop eggs", with their pale little yolks and thin little shells, I really feel like the nutrition must be higher too... sorry for digressing.

Here our farmer's markets are a luxury. Local farmers struggle due to high land prices.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    In my area, the prices aren't much different for most things.
  • beccala18
    beccala18 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Where I live (NYC), it is MUCH cheaper to buy in the grocery stores. The farmers markets are super expensive here. I just buy at the grocery store, especially when things are on sale. I prep and freeze vegetables all the time or buy frozen.
  • eduardo_d
    eduardo_d Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    If you have a Costco in your area and a membership, they are hard to beat. Target/Walmart have cheap produce but it's crap. Farmer's markets cater to folks who want the experience and good feeling THEY get from buying local. That always comes at a price, as it should.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    I find the farmers market around me is cheaper because they offer assistance for those with food stamps (which I am unfortunate enough to be using at this time and am embarrassed to admit this). They have it where 10 dollars worth of food stamps counts for 20 dollars in market money if that makes sense. If I don't then I usually buy from the co-op because after eating a cucumber and blueberries that tasted like hairspray from a local grocery I can't help but be turned off by them. Definitely check out your farmers market to see if they offer deals like that. Also a lot of local farmers might offer packages where if you buy directly from them they will save you a bit of money and guarantee fresh produce to your home ^-^

On a side note just about farmers markets, I won't buy eggs from the super market because after buying from the farmers market the taste just doesn't compare. Chickens that are allowed free range to scratch and eat insects are phenomenal compared to anything I have ever purchased in a store. You've gotta try it if you eat eggs.

I hear ya on the eggs. When I lived in Alaska in the 70s and 80s, before they air freighted groceries, we got what was referred to as "cold storage" eggs. They had very light yellow yolks and not much taste, but you get used to that. When I moved back to WA, I couldn't believe it; the egg yolks were orange next to what I was used to. And that's just the eggs from the supermarket. I was raised on a farm with our own chickens so I know what a good egg tastes like.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    In my area (Ontario - Waterloo Region) the farmers market tends to be the cheapest for fruits and veggies. I try to shop there when my work schedule allows the time to go when the farmers markets are open. I can easily get four huge bags full of stuff for $25 which is pretty cheap.

It all depends on your area. Look at the flyers and shop based on what's on sale. If you have a few stores close to each other it helps since you can hope between the stores for their sales.

If you can shop on the cheap rack (some call it the about to go rack) you can score some great deals. When I do that I tend to wash and cut everything. What I won't use that day I will freeze for later use.
  • brandee1212
    brandee1212 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    We have a chain of stores here in Texas (and the West Coast, I think) called Sprouts. They call themselves a Farmer's Market, but they're really just a specialty grocery store. I get really nice, quality produce (and often meat) for way less than actual farmer's markets AND places like Walmart/Target/HEB. I highly recommend you see if there are any in your area. I love, love, LOVE Sprouts!

http://sprouts.com/
  • dawnrenee567
    dawnrenee567 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Seasonal fruit/veg - Farmers Market wins Plus I like supporting local businesses