Scale isn't moving for 6 weeks!

Options
Hi all!

I'm just getting a bit frusrated. I started this journey at 5'2 191 lbs. I am now down to 5'2 (still) and 155 lbs, the lowest weight I've been since 1996! While I'm happy with what I've accomplished thusfar, In the past 6 weeks I've lost nothing and in the past 4 months, I've lost 3 lbs. I work out 5x per week (at least) and recently incorporated weights as well as my running or elliptical. I'm within my calories about 29/30 or 31 days per month. I have gone from a tight size 14 to a size 8, but the scale is still not moving. I understand within 10 lbs of goal that it can become more of a toning than a weight loss thing, but at this point, I still have a good 20+ to lose and don't know why the slowdown. I run for about 45 minutes a day (that 5+x per week). Any ideas for kickstarting? My husband says he still sees my body changing and my clothes fit well. My size 8 went from tight to fitting perfectly, but I really would like to get to a size 4 (something I've NEVER been). In fact, in my adult life, I've never fit in less than a 10 until now. Is my body just not used to this? I'm 40 years old and haven't been this size since maybe high school (perhaps jr high) as I've been overweight my whole life. Is it just hanging onto this weight because it's not sure what to do with me smaller? Any advice would be great.

9753027.png

Replies

• Sabdavis
    Sabdavis Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Bump. Advice???
  • almostatgoalweight
    almostatgoalweight Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    The way I see it, you're not losing but you're exercising. That means one thing. What you're eating. Losing weight is a trade off between what you want to look like and how little you're prepared to eat. Everybody has their own level of trade off, I guess you need to choose what you're prepared to do. What I've found personally is that my body has reduced it's metabolism when I'm losing, by about 100cal/500kj. So when I stop dieting, eventually my body will recover.

If you are using the recommended calorie intake calculators available online, they are useful because they give an *average* value based on a large number of people. But I hang around on Google Scholar and looking at the scatter graphs posted there in scientific research articles you see a large variation in what people actually eat and what weight they are.
  • Fyrclues
    Fyrclues Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi! Congratulations on your sucess so far! You have accomplished so much...and I understand your current frustration. :sad:

You are working out most every day of the week and still maintaining your weight. What types for calories are you consuming?? When our body refuses to shed pounds it is often because you are lacking certain nutrients, especially fat. Review your food intake for the last week or two and examine how well you met your daily vitamin and nutrient goals. Is there any area you consistantly missed? Are you getting most of your calories from junk foods?

I have also found that the calories burned per the MFP site is not equivellant to the calories I burned during my workout. I suggest you wear a heart rate monitor (if you don't already) and use your sepcific figures for the number of calories burned. Then remember to eat those calories in a healthy way that day...if you don't your body will think it is starving and hold on to all of the fat it has.

Remember also that muscle weighs more than fat...which explasins why your clothes fit better but your scale refuses to move.
  • Sabdavis
    Sabdavis Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I have a fitbit and an HRM. I'm hoping I just have to have patience to get back to losing the numbers. I know the important thing is being healthier and feeling better, but that stupid number! LOL! I don't eat a ton of junk, but not doing the whole "clean eating" thing either because I don't feel that's something I can stick with for life. I feel like I can stick with this. I will try maybe some different foods and see what works best.