FitBit help needed!!

Options
Hi...This is Day one for me and I am confused how to enter my exercise information...anyone able to walk me through this?

When I look on the FitBit site, I can find the calories burned for the time at the gym tonight (though it seems kind of low)....I thought that would synch over to this site but exercise still reads as zero.

I remember reading that you need to remember your start and end time for exercise but I cannot see where I need to input this information.

I dont want to get frustrated so quick...HELP!!!

Replies

• Meadows18
    Meadows18 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Let me know what you find out, I just got mine today also.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    If I log my exercise, I log it in mfp and that is where you get the start time to input. I only do it if I do something like cycling really, as I have found the fitbit comes pretty close even when I do not log exercise seperately. If you do not log exercise, the fitbit simply adds the extra calories you burnt to mfp when it synchs, which for me, happens pretty much automatically.

Ps - make sure you go to tools and click on the fitbit bar and do an initial connection of your fitbit.
  • majones_orl
    majones_orl Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Catie,
    When I got in (at home) and my fit bit was in range of my computer it uploaded my info. I had to adjust because the info was low. I have read when you do the elliptical it does something strange. I only have my fitbit connected to my home computer. I just leave the little holder for the fitbit connected and just careful when I move the laptop around.

I set my fit bit up on the fitbit site.
    Then I clicked on tools, and link my fit bit to my MFP account.
    Mine connected at that time, I had to do nothing else.

What I am trying to figure out is how to adjust the title on MFP when they bring over my info from fitbit to say what it is I did for exericse. Now I am just including it in the notes.

Hope that helps.
  • majones_orl
    Options
    If I log my exercise, I log it in mfp and that is where you get the start time to input. I only do it if I do something like cycling really, as I have found the fitbit comes pretty close even when I do not log exercise seperately. If you do not log exercise, the fitbit simply adds the extra calories you burnt to mfp when it synchs, which for me, happens pretty much automatically.

Ps - make sure you go to tools and click on the fitbit bar and do an initial connection of your fitbit.

Did you see the note I sent Catie? That should work for you also. Let me know if you need more help.
  • reneeramirez4christ
    reneeramirez4christ Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I know the fitbit exercise calories seem low, but they are actually pretty accurate if you have entered all your information correctly. I love what my trainer said, he said, "we feel like we've burned twice as many calories than we actually have, and when we stop and calculate it, it's usually within 10-20 calories from what the fitbit and MHR says"
  • majones_orl
    Options
    I know the fitbit exercise calories seem low, but they are actually pretty accurate if you have entered all your information correctly. I love what my trainer said, he said, "we feel like we've burned twice as many calories than we actually have, and when we stop and calculate it, it's usually within 10-20 calories from what the fitbit and MHR says"

I have to disagree with you on this. I was using a pedometer before I got the fitbit. I would check it against the display on the elliptical and it was close. When I logged into MFP, it was twice as much. Now with the fitbit, it is quite low. I put a delta entry in to get to what the machine says.

This has been my experience.

Are you a fitbit user?
    Can you adjust the title from "fit bit adjustment" ? I would really like to enter what I did on that day.
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    The MFP estimate of the elliptical has always seemed high to me, particualrly when you take time to set up the elliptical display with your own information. There are some assumptions that MFP makes concerning the rate of calorie expenditure and your weight.

However, the only way to get any credit for any deliberate workout activity is to manually input them into MFP. Fitbit takes care of part of that problem. Its also good about giving you credit for climbing stairs. And probably more accurate than just about anything else in the system.
  • HeartME511healthy
    HeartME511healthy Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Hi...This is Day one for me and I am confused how to enter my exercise information...anyone able to walk me through this?

When I look on the FitBit site, I can find the calories burned for the time at the gym tonight (though it seems kind of low)....I thought that would synch over to this site but exercise still reads as zero.

I remember reading that you need to remember your start and end time for exercise but I cannot see where I need to input this information.

I dont want to get frustrated so quick...HELP!!!

In MFP it needs to be directly input, which will be refreshed with a Fitbit reading too, so the physcial start - stop will need to be added manually in MFP. This allows you to capture each workout seperately if you like. Then your activity such as walking, shopping and other movement will be added to MFP as a reading of Fitbit adjustments. However nothing needs to be done on FB it is all captured automatically.
  • mamakayy
    mamakayy Posts: 36
    Options
    You have to enter into MFP as you would any other exercise to have I actually show on your log, rather than just the fitbit adjustment.

I don't use an elliptical, but I've been testing my fitbit vs. HRM for the same activities over the last week or so, and it is usually 5-10% off, either up or down, depending on the activity. Trust your fitbit or your HRM, NOT MFP. MFP estimates are good if they are all you have, but if you have something more accurate, use that!