Puppy advice, please!!

Options

Replies

• grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    You have to have a strong authority over your dog but don't use physical punishment as the do not understand it, it scares them and makes them think they can hurt you if you do something they don't like.
    When he is bad, I stand up straight on with my dog, look him in the eye and say in a strong tone "No! Go lie down!" He goes a lays onthr rug by the fire and usually don't hear another peep from him.
    Make sure you pay attention to him, if he feels ignored he may act up but always be an authority figure. He should always do what you say.
  • Abbie_Thompson
    Abbie_Thompson Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me that he has a lot of pent up energy and so I would suggest taking him for some power walks and make sure that his mind and body are being exercised. At that age, but still have the puppy tendencies, the best thing that I have found in my experience are walks. Wear them out!

I took him out for SEVEN miles one day, and he still wanted to throw the ball for an hour afterwards. It's amazing, because he's only about 15 lbs and his legs are short. You'd think he'd have been worn out, but no.

Whoa! Is he a Jack Russel mix? It isn't necessarily about the physical exercise, he needs mental exercise. He needs a challenge, something to focus that energy on. Training, Training, Training! You may even look into flyball or agility.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Dogs don't understand "smacked" and the kennel should NEVER be used as punishment because then you can't use it ever without the dog thinking it's being punished.

Fortunately, I haven't had this particular problem so I don't have any good advice (though talking to your vet and maybe a trainer couldn't hurt), but you aren't helping the situation with your current response.
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Kennel should not be used as punishment. its their safe place.. their home.

All I've learned from having my dog, is if she ate anything.. it was my fault for leaving it within her reach, not putting it away, or not watching her closely enough.
  • mdsjmom98
    mdsjmom98 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    One thing I will offer, is that if you use the crate during the day while you're at work, do not use it as a "punishment" place. Keep your punishments to a firm no, but do not use the crate as punishment.

Our ACD chewed books and stuff when we first brought her home. Once she got use to us and where she "fit in" she stopped doing the chewing as much. Now she just licks all the time, which I hate, but the kids just laugh hysterically when she does it. Also, use lots of chew rawhides, like another poster said. They were a lifeline for us while she went through that chewing phase.
  • kristi5224
    kristi5224 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    He doesn't know its wrong, he's a puppy. he only knows you are upset. The look is not guilt. Guilt is a judgement, dogs can't do that. the look is anxiety. While the puppy is chewing he is having a blast, then he sees you and knows from experience you are about to get upset but while he is in the act he cannot predict the outcome.
    The good news he he may out grow IN A YEAR, it but in the mean time it is your responsibility to keep you nice stuff away from him and confine him while you are not home. Crate training is hard the 1st week or 2 but ppl who do it swear by it.
    we had a foster dog recently that was a chew monster. shoes, the hot tub cover, the bottom of the bed.....the rescue gave us an ex-pen and a kennel. he eventually went to a great home where he has acres to run on and he is the best ratter they have.
    Get him things to chew on and they go in the crate with him and then he can just "chew it out". chewing is very natural for puppies. also remember it is very hard to teach a pupppy not to do something. much easer to teach him TO do something like "go to your crate" or "go to jail". the reward and give a chew toy.
    Good luck. you need it.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Got a treadmill you can run him on? Maybe jog on there will wear him out enough.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me that he has a lot of pent up energy and so I would suggest taking him for some power walks and make sure that his mind and body are being exercised. At that age, but still have the puppy tendencies, the best thing that I have found in my experience are walks. Wear them out!

I took him out for SEVEN miles one day, and he still wanted to throw the ball for an hour afterwards. It's amazing, because he's only about 15 lbs and his legs are short. You'd think he'd have been worn out, but no.

Sounds like mine, I have a Jack Russell, 16lbs quite smalls, once one walks finished he's ready to go out again!
  • 76wendyful
    76wendyful Posts: 202
    Options
    I have a puppy as well - my advice to use is to not discipline him physically or put him in the crate. Dogs don't understand why they're being disciplined and it doesn't do much to correct the behavior.

Alternatively, distract and reward. When he starts to chew, take the item away as fast as you can and replace it with a toy/rawhide/acceptable substitute. Over time, the dog learns what is acceptable to chew. Also chewing can be a sign of boredom so make sure he/she is getting regular exercise/playtime.
    This ^^
  • juliep1974
    juliep1974 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    ^ This. Get him as much exercise as you can (you can get a doggy backpack and make him carry weight if you don't have time for longer walks). The toys where they have to figure out how to get the treats out can be good for keeping him mentally working too.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I used to be a dog trainer (positive reinforcement) and I think your dog is doing these things because it gets your attention. Good attention or bad attention, dogs are like kids.....they just want your attention. And even if it gets him smacked and yelled at, you're still talking to him and touching him.

He needs distraction. Go to a pet supply store and get a kong toy. You fill it with treats (bones, peanut butter, chicken stock & then freeze, etc) and the dog has to work to get the food out. Start him in some obedience classes too. Being able to give him a command instead of yelling at him will go a long way towards correcing the behavior.

Also, every bad behavior needs a replacement. Instead of taking off with your things, why not teach him to fetch and return a ball? Or bring in the newspaper? He needs something to do! Mental and physical stimulation are super important.

Good luck!
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    They make anti-chew sprays that may work. My puppy is like immune to them though.

You can try a squirt bottle. Put it on the stream part and if they do a behavior you don't like spray their feet or body to get them distracted.

Also, we've been told not to use the kennel as punishment. Especially if that's where they sleep or need to be when you're away. The kennel should be a happy and safe place for them.

This!!!! Though I can't use the spray shampoo on my dog now because she's traumatized from the spray bottle
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Dogs do not feel guilt, it is a human emotion. He knows you are mad. You have made it okay to chew cloth by giving him cloth toys. Dogs are black and white. If one cloth is his and okay to chew on the rest is too. Make sure all of his toys look different and are of different texture than the things you do not want him chewing on. Then same as when kids are little if you can not be looking at him have him contained. Also sounds like he has a lot of pent up energy take him for runs and lots of walks the more tired he is the better he will behave and have and outlet for that destructive energy.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    You are getting some great advice here. The point about exercise is really important.

He has no way of knowing what is appropriate to chew and what is not. Your job is to teach him that in a gentle yet firm and consistent way. Make sure he has plenty of appropriate chew toys. When he's chewing on those, praise him. When he tries to take anything else into his mouth, gently take it from him, tell him no, and replace it with something appropriate. He'll learn. Punishment is not required. When you can't be there to monitor him, keep those things out of his reach as much as possible.
  • arctiknitter
    arctiknitter Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I strongly suggest that you look into a dog training class that you can do with your dog. You've gotten many good tips from people here, but it's very helpful to have a chance to practice with a dog trainer. And it's fun.
    I had many bad habits to unlearn from watching my father use physical force on our pets and the best thing my husband and I ever did was to take several training classes with our pets. We have happy well behaved dogs (three big ones) and we are happy and know how to behave as pet parents now.
    Please look into a local dog training class.
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    Bitter Apple spray works pretty well.
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't smack him, or put him in his kennel. You should take the inappropriate item from him and give him one of his own toys. You should also lock the doggy door if he takes off outside with your things! You can re-open it after he has learned better. Lots of exercise too should help. He shouldn't be teething any more at his age, so likely he is bored. Exercise will help that. Take him for long walks or take him running, or get a neighborhood kid to come run with him during the day.
  • Homer3D
    Homer3D Posts: 318
    Options
    A couple of things.

It is almost impossible to teach a dog what “NOT” to do if you don’t let him know what he “CAN” do. I like to teach a dog the difference between right and wrong, which is acceptable behavior and what is not. Like jumping on the sofa, not acceptable. Laying by our feet while we (the humans) sit on the sofa, acceptable.

You can punish him for doing something wrong, like chewing your clothes, but you must also reward him for doing something right. You must also remember, to him it is a game. So if he is chewing your clothes and you go to pull it from him, well now it is a game of tug and war. Which is fun for him and he is going to want to do it again. When he “plays” with your clothes, correct him. When he is playing with his toys, reward him (play with him, give him a treat, etc)

You will need to start with some conditioning. A sound plus act that will tell him what he is doing it wrong. Cesar Millan’s favorite ways is that “SHHH” sound he makes with a 3 finger claw like tap to the hips. You can also use a spray bottle/water gun combined with a word/phrase. What you are basically doing is changing the dog’s mindset so his focus changes from “play time” to “I need to pay attention”.

Physical exercise is important too. A dog that young will need at least 1 hour of walking/jogging a day (depending on the breed). Don’t forget about mental exercise as well. Get a kong toy and put a treat in it and watch him spend hours trying to figure out how to get it.

Also, do not use the kennel as a punishment. That should be his “house” and a place he feels safe. With my dog, when it is time for bed all I say is “bed time” and he runs over to his crate and lays down. This is how you want your dog to feel about his crate and not fear it.
  • asasser2002
    Options
    It sounds like he may need more physical and mental stimulation. They make puzzles for dogs now and all kinds of treat holders where the dog has to "work" to get the treats. I've trained dogs like this to run on a treadmill also.
  • arickim
    arickim Posts: 137
    Options
    Since we brought Chili home(he was a few months old and not 6 months) he has had his own pair of shoes to chew on, socks to chew on, and toys. He has never went for anything other than his own stuff, but does like chewing on the way.