How to beat a sugar addiction?!

Options
So I have read tons of things about how sugar; like cookies, brownies, even in moteration can stall weight loss even if it is within your calorie goals of the day. So, I'm going to try and cut it out completely! I do mostly eat fruit as my sugar fix, but probably every other day I have some sort of chocolate, brownies, cookies, etc! Mind you, I'm not sitting here eatting candy bars, but it is definitely a down fall!

How would YOU curb this addiction? It's so hard for me, because after I eat a meal I want something sweet and usually an apple just doesn't cut it!

Replies

• GiiaSoCrazii
    GiiaSoCrazii Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist told me that after about a week or two without it you will not crave it as much and in some people at all. I guess she explained it as sugar is a kind of food that you eat and develop a kind of need for. well need is a bad word but the more and continuously you eat it the more you are going to crave it. Every body is different. but it took me just a week to be satisfied by a piece of fruit and to be able to look at my old favorite sugar foods and not even cringe.

She told me a lot of other stuff but that was the gist of it. The horrible cravings will die down after a while of cutting it out. till then just try and hold out b/c there is a white light. Go out and try different kind of fruits when you get a craving. You can achieve it!
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie. You can eat nothing but twinkies or mcdonalds and lose weight. You wont be healthy, but you will lose if your at a calorie deficit.
  • jojo3937
    jojo3937 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It's true. The less you eat of it the less you crave. Try increasing healthy fats into your meals. i.e. 1/4 avocado, tbsp shelled hemp seeds, small handful of nuts. As long as you're getting that and enough protein you should be good.

I sometimes will pop in a small werthers candy. If its still nagging you- just have a small portion. Get your fix and make your next meal super clean.

Hope this helps :)
  • jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I don't keep these items where I spend most of my time. I my cravings are not enough to get me to go somewhere
    where I can get them. I also use sweetened drinks that have no more than 10 calories per serving as a way to get
    a sugar fix. I dilute these drinks to to further reduce the sugar fixation. After I did this for a while, my cravings
    diminished.
  • Rapunzelmom
    Rapunzelmom Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My sugar and carbohydrate cravings completely disappeared after 3 days. My issue isn't just sugar but starchy foods as well. And the more I eat them, the more I crave and the hungrier I get. .
  • RiverMelSong
    RiverMelSong Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I went on a 10-day study trip at the beginning of June, and decided not to eat or drink any sugar while I was there (including alcohol!).
    It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. After about 3 or 4 days my cravings were gone and now (almost a month later) I still hardly eat any sugar, and have only had 4 glasses of wine during that entire time. And I know from past experience that if I would start eating sugar again, it would only take about 2 or 3 days for my addiction to return! Plus, I found out that sugar really kills your taste-buds! I find that most foods are actually much sweeter than I thought, without added sugar! So now my body is used to almost no sugar, I'm trying to keep it that way :) I still treat myself to the occasional glass of wine mind you ;)
  • lforner46
    lforner46 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone here - after about a week without sugar, you can resist it. I was always tempted by sweets in the kitchen at work. After I cut sugar out for about 10 days, I could walk by sweets and resist them. I call sugar and candy "crack".

I do have a little now and then but mostly fruit or a piece of cake as a treat once a week.
  • amanda_ataraxia
    amanda_ataraxia Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    You have to cut it out completely. I allow myself unprocessed forms of sugar like pure maple syrup and molasses. And eventually cut it out for the most part. I occasionally get the craving and I will allow myself some pure maple syrup. And then begin the weaning process again.
    I have gone almost THREE months without eating any processed sugars.
    It can be done!
    And I do not miss it one bit.
  • rmballouart
    rmballouart Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Okay, I know this sounds kinda strange, but the more I exercise, the less I crave sugar. I also crave it less if I am getting a lot of water in my diet. I don't really know the reason behind this, maybe it is just a psychological thing where I crave sugar when I am being sedentary, or I misplace my need for more water with a craving for sugar. Not saying that it is the same way with you, but it might be worth a shot to up your fluid intake and take up a new fun form of exercise...
  • dbernst3
    dbernst3 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the advice! Would you consider honey as a form of sugar that should be cut out? I like to put it in yogurt or oatmeal.
  • RiverMelSong
    RiverMelSong Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the advice! Would you consider honey as a form of sugar that should be cut out? I like to put it in yogurt or oatmeal.

I mostly cut out refined sugars. I still eat fruit and put honey in my lemon water each morning, but that's about it. I love Greek yoghurt with honey but I've cut that out of my diet because of fat and sugar content. Moderation is key :)
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    One other thing to watch for.... careful about substituting sweetners for regular sugar. I cut regular sugar out for a week and then started using sweetners, but also grew addicted to those. I am one that just has to say NO or it quickly gets out of control. Good Luck!
  • rmballouart
    rmballouart Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love honey too! Don't worry about cutting it out, just be aware that it has more calories than sugar, so use less. It is TONS better for you than sugar substitutes. Interesting health note about honey: if you can, eat local, non-pasturised honey. It will actually help boost your immune system and inoculate you against local pollens so you will have fewer problems with allergies. It is also has natural antibiotic properties, helps sooth sore throats, and is very good for your skin. Who knew? Go bees!