Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Just like Domino's, Sidesteal delivers.
  • epmck11
    epmck11 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Bookmarked this.... I already follow LeanGains, but Sidesteal just referenced every article I need in the future to cite for why I'm doing it, so much appreciated! Great reads.
  • lizaiza79
    lizaiza79 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Let me add something in closing. It's not my intent to attack you and hopefully my post doesn't read that way. When I say that some of your pieces of information are "nonsense" I probably could word that better so I hope you don't take this personally.

There really is nothing wrong with your two meal per day habit. If that works for you then keep at it. My point with that post was that the notion of eating past a certain time being detrimental (especially the "one calorie" example), can be harmful information to spread because it places an artificial restriction on dieters, and believe me they already have enough restrictions to worry about.

I do realize you are just asking questions, and I hope you read the attached links in the above reply.

Good luck with your goals!

No offense to "nonsense" references! Thank you for the information...I am working my way through the links.

I did read the link regarding "Favorable body composition from large evening meals (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9040548)

And according to that study, you lose weight better by eating more in the morning, but maintain muscle better by eating in the evening. I think that was exactly what I was referring to.

When I get rid of the excess I want to build muscle at a greater rate than I am losing fat...but I am not there yet. At that point I predict the high morning meals and long evening fast will not work well. I still work out and build muscle, but from what I understand (correct me if I am wrong) until I get rid of the blubber I am not going to get that tone I want.

Perhaps it a case of where you are in your fitness journey?
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    And according to that study, you lose weight better by eating more in the morning, but maintain muscle better by eating in the evening. I think that was exactly what I was referring to.

The group that lost more weight lost more lean mass. This is not desirable.
    When I get rid of the excess I want to build muscle at a greater rate than I am losing fat...but I am not there yet. At that point I predict the high morning meals and long evening fast will not work well. I still work out and build muscle, but from what I understand (correct me if I am wrong) until I get rid of the blubber I am not going to get that tone I want.

Basically, keep lifting weights and eating a "reasonable" amount of total food for the day. Do this and you will lose bodyfat and retain lean mass (through protein intake and weight lifting). Large morning meals and long evening fasts should still facilitate this given proper total food intake, unless of course your meal timing interferes with your ability to perform in the gym.
  • lizaiza79
    lizaiza79 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    OK...I just read the Leangains article - wow...awesome information. Didn't take long for me to be convinced!

From the summary-

"Dietary epidemiology commonly find associations between certain meal patterns and higher BMI / body fatness. However, this association can solely be attributed to lifestyle-related factors and eating behaviors"

"Calorie-controlled studies"..."tell a much different story than the one found in dietary epidemiology. While short-term studies (15-18 days) do not find a statistically significant difference between early and late meal patterns, long-term studies (>12 weeks) show that late eating patterns produce superior results on fat loss, body composition and/or diet adherence."

Thank you so much for the info!!!
  • KatKatatrophic
    KatKatatrophic Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    My thoughts are...that who came up with that we had to eat "3 meals a day" and if we ate any less that'd we be "starving" ourselves?

I usually also eat 2. Most days 1 ( which was in Senior year, just dinner ). To reach my goal, each meal is about 600 calories x 2=1200. So, I find it okay. But sometimes I eat low on accident if I'm having a full day. But I also exercise and lift, so I find it absolutely okay.
    If if works for you, keep going! :D
  • KettleBellHoe
    Options
    2 meals a day? Don't be dumb you'll lose weight alot faster with 6 small meals a day..that way your metabolism is CONSTANTLY working, which is the whole kind of idea of a healthy metabolism, I've lost 50lbs this way and I am very healthy.
  • RainxPain
    RainxPain Posts: 152
    Options
    I only eat 2 meals a day too. Lunch and dinner. I don't usually get hungry during breakfast time anyways. I eat about 300-500 calories for a lunch, a 100-200 calories snack, and 500-700 calories for dinner. So I eat on average about 1,200-1,300 calories a day. It works for me.
  • RainxPain
    RainxPain Posts: 152
    Options
    My thoughts are...that who came up with that we had to eat "3 meals a day" and if we ate any less that'd we be "starving" ourselves?

I usually also eat 2. Most days 1 ( which was in Senior year, just dinner ). To reach my goal, each meal is about 600 calories x 2=1200. So, I find it okay. But sometimes I eat low on accident if I'm having a full day. But I also exercise and lift, so I find it absolutely okay.
    If if works for you, keep going! :D

This.
  • SGT_Reg
    SGT_Reg Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    bump
  • beebee0925
    beebee0925 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cjtsmith
    cjtsmith Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    New research suggests two meals a day may help treat type 2 diabetes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-27422547