Call me convinced: I'm going low carb

Options

Replies

• bltrexler
    bltrexler Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    There is also literature out there demonstrating ketogenic diets can manage the progession of Multiple Sclerosis.

Here is an example:
    Kim-D.Y._Inflammation-mediated-memory-dysfunction-and-effects-of-a-ketogenic-diet-in-a-murine-model-of-multiple-sclerosis_2012
  • sheppeyescapee
    sheppeyescapee Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    My gastro dr told me to go on a high protein low carb diet, there are periods of time when I can't really eat much because of exacerbation of stomach problems. Wanted me to go on the FODMAP diet but it seemed like a lot of hassle. I get the awful headaches and nausea on low carb days so will have to clear my schedule so that I have nothing on those days so I can rest if I get that horrible feeling.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    @toriaennator
    Im sick of all this bashing of macronutrients. Low fat, low carb...
    [/quote]Don't be ridiculous. Clearly I'm bashing protein since that's my smallest macro...

I'm not really one for following a structured diet program. I do better just eating "healthy" foods on my own so the only change I'm making is what my definition of healthy is. And in this case I'm convinced I should be eating a lot more fat and a lot less sugar and grains. But I do appreciate everyone who suggested these low carb diet plans and others might find them helpful:

South Beach Diet
    Dukan Diet
    Atkins Diet

Fruit!
    I'm not sure where anyone thinks I said fruit was bad for you but I never said that and certainly didn't mean to imply it. I also haven't read anything that says fruit is bad. But my diet before included eating "a ton of fruit" which meant that I was eating between 60g - 150g of sugar a day, the vast majority of that from fruit. I no longer think sugar is harmless so eating as much fruit as I like as long as it fits into my calories no longer works for me and I'll be eating less fruits and more vegetables because of that.

@SabinaBehague
    I don't have time to read this whole thread, but I just want to say beware of Gary Taubes. He's been known to distort statistics and misquote people in his articles and books. I always think it's good to approach any new "ideology" with a healthy dose of skepticism and logic.
    That is an excellent point and it's important to note that Gary Taubes while he has a degree in physics isn't a doctor or scientist, he's a science reporter. I also think the chance of him actually coming up with a theory that turns out to be right--no matter how well researched--is slim to none but I do think he's on to something and I look forward to seeing some well constructed studies that test the role of sugar and carbohydrates on our health. Saturated fats as well.

There's an interesting article from a doctor who takes the time to debunk his theory on his blog but for the life of me I can't find it again. But if you look in the comments on all of these videos and blogs you can usually find links to the opposing views.

@ahamm002
    The problem is that for years people were told bread, pasta, rice, and carbs in general were "health food." So a "common sense" diet ended up being horrible, especially with all the low fat processed carbs people ate.
    Exactly, well said.
  • LaJaunaF
    LaJaunaF Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I am starting a low carb lifestyle. My goal is to eat fresh foods. All animal products that are on the no/little processed sides. All veggies that are fresh or frozen (no canned if possible). Limited fruits to low glycemic varieties. Loads of fresh water, cutting out sodas (diets as well as sugary). I am using coconut oil and loads of nuts and seeds. I will let you know in a week how it is working for me!
  • mtsips
    mtsips Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Yup! Im with you.
    Ive read so many success stories from people on the Dukan which is low carb - and im already seeing results.
  • SalishSea
    SalishSea Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I've been cutting carbs way down, most days even in the low range. I noticed my allergies, energy, and breathing issues are slightly better. So today I'm going to start basically Atkins Induction. Except I'm going to have to wean myself down to a reasonable amount of black coffee a day. I really hope it makes a difference, not just for weight loss, but for how I feel. So far lower carb seems to have helped with cravings and urges to binge, too. But we'll see how that stacks up around TOM.
  • serdesto
    serdesto Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've been low carbing and I still have energy to workout twice a day. It's a process, this keto diet has helped me understand a lot about my body, my preferences and what kinds of food I eat/shouldn't eat. I don't think low carb is just low carb period, no more. It's a healthier lifestyle for me, and if I need to take it more carbs for whatever reason, I will. If I ever come across a problem, I will fix it. It's all a learning process.

I'm not really digging how folks say that everyone who goes on low carb and loses weight gains it back. Everyone is different, just cause it didn't work for you doesn't mean it wont work for someone else.

It's a process y'all.
  • _Thanatos_
    _Thanatos_ Posts: 166
    Options
    Low carb is only effective if you don't plan on doing any or very little exercise. However if they're rather intense... um, you're gonna need 'em.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i don't understand why people say you will gain the weight back after low carbing.
    whenever i read it, i seriously want to nerd rage.
    if you go back to eating crap, you'll gain the weight back after ANY new eating plan.
    your plan should be to change your whole lifestyle, not just for a few months (until you lose your weight)
  • jogglesngoggles
    jogglesngoggles Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    while sitting here reading this I'm eating the best yummiest salad made of baked chicken breast, vegetables and apple cider vinegar...Low carb rocks, so many people think low carb and think of eating steaks and bacon and grease all day. I'm low carb and a big healthy salad is my favorite food!! People challenge me all of the time, I think that's the hardest part of low carb, is people not understanding. Lean proteins, healthy fats and vegetables, and in my case one fruit a day...absolutely nothing wrong with that. Good luck on your journey!!
  • jogglesngoggles
    jogglesngoggles Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Low carb is only effective if you don't plan on doing any or very little exercise. However if they're rather intense... um, you're gonna need 'em.

I work out pretty intense every single day...the only time I struggle is when my calories are too low!! a handful of almonds or a small apple still keeps me low carb and will up my calories!
  • bcmlam1001
    bcmlam1001 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I cannot do LC myself. I have low blood sugar. It is nothing for me to get up in the morning and my BS level be at 50. I get sick and throw up and light headed with LC. I have tried it twice. The first time I did it about 3 years ago I lost 15 pounds but it was not maintainable to me due to lack of energy and low BS. I personally don't know how people do this and stay on it, but whatever floats your boat =) My opinion is that really and truely anything in moderation is ok. I eat wheat bread and oatmeal and things like that. I don't eat white bread. Good carbs are good for you and for good reasons =) Oh and not to mention I am not a big meat, egg or cheese person...chicken makes me feel so yuck after I eat it!
  • _Thanatos_
    _Thanatos_ Posts: 166
    Options

I work out pretty intense every single day...the only time I struggle is when my calories are too low!! a handful of almonds or a small apple still keeps me low carb and will up my calories!

That's also another thing. If one wants to lose weight all that really matters is maintaining a reasonable calorie deficit. Carbs in of themselves aren't evil. It's excessive eating/calorie surpluses that makes us fat. Just because your diet is low in carbs doesn't mean you'll magically lose weight. If your intake is ridiculously high in fat or protein then of course you'll gain weight. All I do is maintain a proper balance of carbs/fats/proteins and I"m good.
  • jamcgraw1
    jamcgraw1 Posts: 2
    Options
    I started south beach diet about 5 days ago and I am having a hard time hitting my calorie goals for the day. I'm not starving but finding it hard to hit 1500 calories a day by eating salad and veggies (yes I eat meat and nuts too). I'm assuming this is why I also haven't lost any weight...I am open to any suggestions. I workout 6 days a week doing either turbo jam, turbo fire greatest HIITS or the C25K program. I am on week 3 of that.
  • StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I eat 200-300g of carbs per day. I don't have any medical conditions and I exercise quite a bit. Works well for me.
  • ZipperJJ
    ZipperJJ Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I started south beach diet about 5 days ago and I am having a hard time hitting my calorie goals for the day. I'm not starving but finding it hard to hit 1500 calories a day by eating salad and veggies (yes I eat meat and nuts too). I'm assuming this is why I also haven't lost any weight...I am open to any suggestions. I workout 6 days a week doing either turbo jam, turbo fire greatest HIITS or the C25K program. I am on week 3 of that.

Eat more meats. Remember you're burning fat since you're out of carbs to burn, so it's ok to eat fatty foods. I'm not saying 5 lbs. of bacon but don't think you have to eat all skinless, boneless fowl or lean beef.

If anyone wants some LC-specific help, check out the MFP low carber group http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-group
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I prefer to take a balanced approach, and my trainer is against low carb or any sort of diet that cuts large numbers of foods out. You cut carbs, and eat extra fat, so your body will burn fat, but you are adding extra fat anyway, instead of the carbs so it seems a bit counter productive to me, but there you go, that is my personal opinion. I would rather keep a moderate number of carbs, of the complex kind, avoid too much wheat and sugar, as both have adverse effects on me, and retain my baked potatoes, brown rice and sweet potatoes. I have never become overweight on this sort of diet, and can also lose weight on it perfectly well. Contrary to others, I found I had very little energy when I did try eating less carbs and I got much hungrier than when I have a balanced meal containing protein, carbs and fat.
  • microbio72
    microbio72 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    There seems to be a bit of confusion about the phrase low carb. There is a big difference between atkins induction low carb and eating lower carbs then what is recommended by the governments food pyramid. Most of the people arguing against low carb seem to be actually practicing low carb eating to some extent. . Low carb for me is staying around 100g carbs per day, and only eating complex carbs. I don't see how anyone can argue that is less healthy than maxing out on refined carbs and sugars...unless they are a serious endurance athlete.
  • serdesto
    serdesto Posts: 16 Member
    Options

good fats ups calories, like olive oil. sometimes i pour it on my salad I also recommend avocados.