Weight vs. Measurements

Options
I'm new to MFP and I love it already, but one thing I see a lot of people posting about is their weight and it going up and down about 1-2 lbs. That is regular fluctuation. Nothing to be worried about!

If there is one thing that I have learned in my weight loss journey is that you MUST and I mean MUST take measurements. Neck, Arms, Chest, Diaphram, Waist, Abdomen, Legs, Calves even your knee's!!!!!!!!

I personally have not lost a whole lot of weight since April when I started hitting the gym hard again. I have only lost 7lbs, but I have lost 22.5 inches overall on my body. Muscle weighs more than fat so yes you may not be seeing the numbers drop but that does not mean that your body is not changing.

You should only be weighing in 1 time a week, and you should be taking your measurements every 2-4.

Replies

• Guitarjon
    Guitarjon Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    So true, definatly take measurements. I cannot comprehend how many inches I have lost from my chest, hips and wait. I can easily see I have lost alot from the neck but I think its sometimes harder to see the other areas. Been weeks and even months when I have lost very little weight but many centimeters off areas. Afterall, most of us want to look slimmer not nessesserly be slimmer on the scales as much. Well some would. I am doing it for health reasons but I also want to look good and would feel good because of it.
  • omegamaster4040
    Options
    Great comment! Measurements are much more important than weight! My weight goes up and down about 5lbs throughout the day, my measurements dont. Much better tracker.
  • spearson288
    spearson288 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Bump :)
  • romanticizing
    romanticizing Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Interesting point! I think after my weigh-in on Friday I will jot down some of my measurements!
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Another thing you might like to add:

If you were to eat 1000 calories less/day, and maintained your level of exercise, you would lose a lot of weight very quickly, get thinner, but you won't become fitter. It'll be very easy to put the weight back on and you won't feel any better.

If you ate 1000 calories more, but burned an extra 1000 calories from exercise, you'll still lose weight very slowly, but you'll get thinner just as fast, and your fitness level will increase dramatically so you'll be able to keep that weight off. You'll also feel a million times better!
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options

If you were to eat 1000 calories less/day, and maintained your level of exercise, you would lose a lot of weight very quickly, get thinner, but you won't become fitter. It'll be very easy to put the weight back on and you won't feel any better.

If you ate 1000 calories more, but burned an extra 1000 calories from exercise, you'll still lose weight very slowly, but you'll get thinner just as fast, and your fitness level will increase dramatically so you'll be able to keep that weight off. You'll also feel a million times better!
    Perfect! I love this!
  • ThatsNotMine
    ThatsNotMine Posts: 75 Member
    Options

Perfect! I love this!

DITTO! BUMP to remind me later!
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Yes that has been discussed numerous times in many topics.
  • serenity216
    serenity216 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I care more about inches than pounds though still smile when I see the #'s on the scale go down.

I remind myself I don't want to lose too much at one time anyway; I had a friend do that and she had to have surgery because of all the loose skin she had...
  • carriparton
    carriparton Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I need to take my measurements.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Weight is totally secondary to body measurements to me, and MFP needs to focus on body fat more as opposed to mere weight as a standard of success.
    That's my one beef with MFP. It a total weakness here, but you can tailor your "check in" variables for whatever.
    My primary measurement is body fat followed by belly measurement followed by weight.

The scale can lie as bad as the man in the mirror.:bigsmile:
  • Healthymom207
    Healthymom207 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm new to MFP and I love it already, but one thing I see a lot of people posting about is their weight and it going up and down about 1-2 lbs. That is regular fluctuation. Nothing to be worried about!

If there is one thing that I have learned in my weight loss journey is that you MUST and I mean MUST take measurements. Neck, Arms, Chest, Diaphram, Waist, Abdomen, Legs, Calves even your knee's!!!!!!!!

I personally have not lost a whole lot of weight since April when I started hitting the gym hard again. I have only lost 7lbs, but I have lost 22.5 inches overall on my body. Muscle weighs more than fat so yes you may not be seeing the numbers drop but that does not mean that your body is not changing.

You should only be weighing in 1 time a week, and you should be taking your measurements every 2-4.

Muscle typically doesn't weight more than fat. 1lb. of fat = 1lb. of muscle
    It's the size that is different. Fat takes up more space, where muscle is smaller in size. That's why you need to measure, cause you might be gaining muscle and burning fat at the same time. The scale won't change sometimes, but your measurements could.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    I'm just frustrated that I can't seem to get below 195 pounds. I know I'm building muscle and stuff but come oooon. I'm sick of having bad numbers on my weigh in day. I hate hitting a plateau every 10 pounds or so when I'm nowhere near my goal. :(
  • VirtuousVal
    VirtuousVal Posts: 138 Member
    Options

Perfect! I love this!

♦♦♦♦DITTO! BUMP♦♦♦♦
    Elephantbutt.gif

♦♦♦My first week on MFP I had more results in inches than in lbs than I expected.
    At my 1 week weigh in I lost 2lbs and lost 3.25" inches overall! Dropped my BMI, BF%.
    I don't notice it in the mirror but I can feel the difference in my clothes and skin!♦♦♦
  • dakota1978
    dakota1978 Posts: 11
    Options
    Wow, I was just talking about this with the manfriend a couple of nights ago. I've only lost 4lbs, which is great for 2 weeks on the plan, but there's clothes I'm getting into that I didn't fit before but 4lbs shouldn't have made the difference between that button closing or not so if must be inches I'm losing.

Before I started this I changed my scales to display lbs rather than stones as I didn't want to het hung up on how my h I weigh per se. I do want to know they're generally going in the right direction. I hope that makes sense? LOL.
  • spearson288
    Options

Very True!! I know that's how I tend to "loose" I don't drop massive amounts of weight I go slow but I can see and feel the difference in my body from it.
  • spearson288
    Options

Muscle typically doesn't weight more than fat. 1lb. of fat = 1lb. of muscle
    It's the size that is different. Fat takes up more space, where muscle is smaller in size. That's why you need to measure, cause you might be gaining muscle and burning fat at the same time. The scale won't change sometimes, but your measurements could.

thank you for clarifying!!
  • spearson288
    Options
    Weight is totally secondary to body measurements to me, and MFP needs to focus on body fat more as opposed to mere weight as a standard of success.
    That's my one beef with MFP. It a total weakness here, but you can tailor your "check in" variables for whatever.
    My primary measurement is body fat followed by belly measurement followed by weight.

The scale can lie as bad as the man in the mirror.:bigsmile:

I am the same way, measurements are way more important to me now that I have started taking them opposed to weight loss.
  • spearson288
    Options
    I'm just frustrated that I can't seem to get below 195 pounds. I know I'm building muscle and stuff but come oooon. I'm sick of having bad numbers on my weigh in day. I hate hitting a plateau every 10 pounds or so when I'm nowhere near my goal. :(

Bad numbers are only bad if you make them so. That's exactly what this post is about even though you may be at a plateau for weight loss if you are taking your measurements you body might still be changing or if you find a time where nothing is occurring you can go back to your food diary and see if that may be the cause.

Weight loss is a learning curve as much as it is a journey. You get to know what works for you and what doesn't. :)
  • spearson288
    Options

Perfect! I love this!

♦♦♦♦DITTO! BUMP♦♦♦♦
    Elephantbutt.gif

♦♦♦My first week on MFP I had more results in inches than in lbs than I expected.
    At my 1 week weigh in I lost 2lbs and lost 3.25" inches overall! Dropped my BMI, BF%.
    I don't notice it in the mirror but I can feel the difference in my clothes and skin!♦♦♦

AWESOME JOB!! Keep it up :)