Current Weight x 10 for weight loss?

Options

Replies

• DB_1106
    DB_1106 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    If you have more muscle than the average person, this doesn't work. It also doesn't work for those who exercise a lot. In fact, it would leave me about 600 calories short of where I would need to eat.

200 lbs at 12% body fat would put me at 2000 calories.

I eat 2600 calories to lose about 1/2-1 lb per week.

Did not think about that. Makes sense what you are saying though. I cannot imagine a 200 pound bodybuilder eating the same amount of calories as a 200 pound coach potato.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you have more muscle than the average person, this doesn't work. It also doesn't work for those who exercise a lot. In fact, it would leave me about 600 calories short of where I would need to eat.

200 lbs at 12% body fat would put me at 2000 calories.

I eat 2600 calories to lose about 1/2-1 lb per week.

Did not think about that. Makes sense what you are saying though. I cannot imagine a 200 pound bodybuilder eating the same amount of calories as a 200 pound coach potato.

I believe for athletes it was supposed to be weight x 14
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    This method would not work for me..... I weigh 238 lbs. and eat about 1750 cals a day. I eat to trend to what I want to weigh... my first goal is 170 and then i'll work from there to get to 140 (and drop my cals as i drop the weight)
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Hi All, I am afraid that won't work to lose weight. I just took a metabolism breathing test to see how many calories I am burning each day. If I consume my weight x10 in calories, I would be eating 26 calories more than I need just to maintain. So very close for maintainence, but not for weight loss.

What exactly was it testing? Those tests only usually test BMR, or RMR. Not total daily expenditure.
  • Lane1012
    Lane1012 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    The reason I bring this up, is because I see so many posts on here about figuring out your BMR, then figuring out your TDEE, then figuring out your exercise calories, subtract 10% for 1 pound, subtract 20% for 2 pounds, blah blah blah. It confuses so many people. Post after post about how many calories people should be eating.

Weight multiplied by 10 is so much easier.

I guess it depends on what you are trying to do .. I weigh 148 and if I tried to eat 1480 a day I'd probably drop to an unhealthy weight pretty fast with all the exercise and other things I do. For someone who's rather heavy and is looking to drop a lot of weight I think it could work but I don't think it's as easy as just putting a blanket 10x = calories to consume formula on it for everyone.
  • Kittenopolis
    Kittenopolis Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Keeping in mind 1200 is the recommended minimum caloric intake for women, I think the rule still fits. Basically if you weight less than 120lbs, you're obviously going to have to eat more than the x10 Rule suggests, but as a starting point for so many who are looking to lose weight (you have to admit the majority of people needing to lose weight do NOT weigh under 120lbs, hehe), I think this is pretty great.

For my weight, it put me about 70 calories per day over what MFP recommended.

It always sucks to be in that difficult minority area though, so good luck with your goals!
  • kr1ssy23
    kr1ssy23 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    My weight :195

So 195 x 10 = 1950

1950-500 (for a pound a week calorie deficit )= 1450 which is exactly around what Im eating (1430)
  • JessicaV623
    JessicaV623 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If I followed this, I should eat 3200 calories a day?!! 320 x 10..
    That just seems insane... MFP has me at 1710 a day...
  • Kittenopolis
    Kittenopolis Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I think the key thing to remember here is that this calculation isn't taking into account added caloric loss through exercise. As a standard rule of thumb for maintenance, it seems to work.
  • DB_1106
    Options
    Hi All, I am afraid that won't work to lose weight. I just took a metabolism breathing test to see how many calories I am burning each day. If I consume my weight x10 in calories, I would be eating 26 calories more than I need just to maintain. So very close for maintainence, but not for weight loss.

Was this test done for BMR or TDEE?
  • Louise1247
    Louise1247 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    oh wow, 149lbs = 1490 kcal!! Amazing really!
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    The reason I bring this up, is because I see so many posts on here about figuring out your BMR, then figuring out your TDEE, then figuring out your exercise calories, subtract 10% for 1 pound, subtract 20% for 2 pounds, blah blah blah. It confuses so many people. Post after post about how many calories people should be eating.

Weight multiplied by 10 is so much easier.

Entering your numbers into MFP's handy-dandy calculator is even easier, and will come up with similar numbers, but is overall probably more accurate.
  • christakersey
    Options
    I'm pretty sure that wouldn't work for me. I'd have to be eating 1870 and I would definitely gain weight that way.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i don't count calories, but this makes sense.

maybe at my goal weight i'll do this!
  • christakersey
    Options
    I'm pretty sure that wouldn't work for me. I'd have to be eating 1870 and I would definitely gain weight that way.
  • gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I don't think this works for everyone. I'm 105 lbs, and if I ate 1050 calories a day, I'd starve. I lose weight when I eat between 1200 and 1400 calories a day. To maintain I need to eat about 1500 or 1600.

At 105lbs unless you are 3 feet tall, you shouldn't be losing weight, I would imagine.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    It doesn't take into account activity level obviously which is a huge part of the TDEE.

Interesting how for some it is an underestimation and some it is an overestimation. I am 115 lbs and 1150 is approximately half of my maintenance requirement. Yikes.
  • scrapatak
    scrapatak Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I don't eat anywhere close to this. I weigh 225, eat between 1200-1350 calories and my net is rarely over 500.
  • DB_1106
    Options
    I don't eat anywhere close to this. I weigh 225, eat between 1200-1350 calories and my net is rarely over 500.

How did you come up with those numbers? The seem really low.
  • AlexanderK1994
    AlexanderK1994 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    According to my doctor, weight x 10 is what you use to maintain, not lose. Based on my own experience I would have to agree with him. Based on what MFP is giving me in calories and my current weight - to lose 2 lbs per week I would need to calculate weight x 6.5. I believe that the BMR and TDEE calculations are going to work better in the long run.

My goal is 110, so when I reach it it'd be 1100 cals/day. I'd probably still lose on that...