Friends that have open diaries

Options
Hi there,

My name is Melanie and I have been doing MFP on and off for a while but have been dedicated to it for a month now and have lost 16 pounds. I find myself always struggling to figure out what I am going to eat for dinner. Some employee at my gym told me to try and stay away from carbs after 4pm and I have been trying to do that but sometimes it's just too hard!

Do any of you guys know any cheap low carb meals for dinner I could try out?

Feel free to add me or vice versa if you have an open diary, even if you don't I would like more support and friends =]

Replies

• julie9200
    julie9200 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

My name is Melanie and I have been doing MFP on and off for a while but have been dedicated to it for a month now and have lost 16 pounds. I find myself always struggling to figure out what I am going to eat for dinner. Some employee at my gym told me to try and stay away from carbs after 4pm and I have been trying to do that but sometimes it's just too hard!

Do any of you guys know any cheap low carb meals for dinner I could try out?

Feel free to add me or vice versa if you have an open diary, even if you don't I would like more support and friends =]

My diary is open if you want to add me. I can't help you with the low carb ideas though, cause I don't pay a whole lot of attention to them.
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    my diary is opened but beware...
    i am part of the EMTWL group so i eat around 1900 calories

yes im losing weight ;)
  • leika79
    leika79 Posts: 114
    Options
    feel free to add, my diary is open.
    i try and stay under my carb goal most days. but i,ve had to ditch pasta and potatoes :( only eat them occasionally now and in moderation
  • Hoakiebs
    Hoakiebs Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Just eat meats and vegetables, and fruit for dessert. Try to stay away from potatoes, rice, bread and pasta. Chicken Breasts are usually 1.99 / lb. at Kroger, and there are a thousand ways to cook chicken, but only eat one breast. Eggs are another cheap meal, you can make a 2 or 3 egg western omelette or even throw a little cheese in it.
  • LiveHarder
    LiveHarder Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I know I may not seem like the best person to be giving advice, but in my experience sticking to meals that includes lots of veggies and lean protein are great ways to cut down on carbs. This depends mostly on what kind of food you like to eat but some good examples of this are
    ~Salads(becareful with dressings, cheese, croutons, bacon and other fatty ingredients):try to focus on lots of fresh vegetables [ie bell pepper, onion, tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, brocolli, cauliflower, sprouts, snap peas, etc} and greener leaves(instead of iceburg try spinach and spring mixes} Salads are a quick fix because you can improvise and use whatever you have on hand, protein ideas(Chicken breast, fish, shrimp, egg, low fat cottage cheese, lunch meat(watch your sodium and pick leaner cuts like ham, turkey, chicken)
    ~Stir-fry(leave out the rice and stick to the same rules with salads:Tons of veggies and lean protein) Frozen vegetables and expecially steam packs are great for fast and semi reasonable prices(not as healthy as fresh but healthier than restaurants)
    ~Breakfast!!- Omelets made with egg whites, low-fat cheese and grilled veggies, serve with salsa which is an awesome way to add flavor with few calories, make a scramble the same way you can even add grilled chicken of sliced turkey etc.
    ~If you like asian style food, I love to make lettuce wraps with chicken and mushrooms and onions, a little bit of sliced almonds add a healthy crunch.

Another really important thing to remember, carbs are not as bad as people make them out to be, just make sure you are picking healthy less processed carbs like fruit and whole grains. :)
    I hope I helped some. :)
  • ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I have an open diary and love new friends :) but I am not doing low carb, so I can't help with that!
  • yentess
    yentess Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I know I may not seem like the best person to be giving advice, but in my experience sticking to meals that includes lots of veggies and lean protein are great ways to cut down on carbs. This depends mostly on what kind of food you like to eat but some good examples of this are
    ~Salads(becareful with dressings, cheese, croutons, bacon and other fatty ingredients):try to focus on lots of fresh vegetables [ie bell pepper, onion, tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, brocolli, cauliflower, sprouts, snap peas, etc} and greener leaves(instead of iceburg try spinach and spring mixes} Salads are a quick fix because you can improvise and use whatever you have on hand, protein ideas(Chicken breast, fish, shrimp, egg, low fat cottage cheese, lunch meat(watch your sodium and pick leaner cuts like ham, turkey, chicken)
    ~Stir-fry(leave out the rice and stick to the same rules with salads:Tons of veggies and lean protein) Frozen vegetables and expecially steam packs are great for fast and semi reasonable prices(not as healthy as fresh but healthier than restaurants)
    ~Breakfast!!- Omelets made with egg whites, low-fat cheese and grilled veggies, serve with salsa which is an awesome way to add flavor with few calories, make a scramble the same way you can even add grilled chicken of sliced turkey etc.
    ~If you like asian style food, I love to make lettuce wraps with chicken and mushrooms and onions, a little bit of sliced almonds add a healthy crunch.

Another really important thing to remember, carbs are not as bad as people make them out to be, just make sure you are picking healthy less processed carbs like fruit and whole grains. :)
    I hope I helped some. :)

I completely agree with this!
  • Colofit
    Colofit Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Hi...feel free to look at my diary. People quit often ask me if I am on a low carb diet...I'm not but just naturally eat that way I guess! Have a look and see if it helps...add me too if you like!! I'm at my goal weight and feel great!! Good luck!!
  • jgmpreston
    Options
    not all Carbs are bad sucha s brown rice and wheat theses carbs take longer to digest therefore you stay full for longer. its the white carbs you need to avoid like white bread, white rice. Please feel free to add me my diary is open.
  • Thanks so so so much for your open diary - i was getting really frustrated because I needed to up my fibre easily but didn't know how until you shared the Bulk Barn Psyllium Husks 2 tbsp 20g fibre @ 15 cals. Your doing a fantastic job Keep Smiling
  • Laurie1267
    Laurie1267 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Hi Melanie - I have an open diary to friends, so friend me if you'd like. :flowerforyou: My name is Laurie
  • TheArmadillo
    TheArmadillo Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I leave my diary open to everyone.
    I've cut down on my carbs but don't low carb and try to stick to mostly potatoes/wholegrain bread and wholegrain rice.
    If you want to skip carbs for one meal then make sure you have plenty of protein and 3-4 portions of veg, then fruit for pudding - 0% greek yoghurt is good with fruit (either in smoothie or just on top) for protein with no fat.

I found it easier to halve my carbs portions at all meals than skip carbs for one meal, and I stick to protein/fruit for snacks (well most of the time).
  • MrsAFR
    MrsAFR Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I've sent a request - any one else can add me too I have an open diary!
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    You can look at my diary -- it's open to the public. I eat my carbs and love them.
  • KSHorne
    KSHorne Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me if you like. That goes for any & everybody!! : )
  • carrtje
    carrtje Posts: 15
    Options
    Best of luck! I've been Low Carb for years now. I've maintained a weight loss of over 100 lbs. Now I'm just buckling down and finishing the rest.

Go look online for South Beach Diet information, or check out the book from your library.

Eggs are amazing. Ditch the yolk, eat the white. Also, if you shop at Costco, look for the Amylu Carmelized Chicken Patties. They really are delish. I chop them up in a salad with some lovely vegetables.

Feel free to friend me, or just stalk my diary. No problem!

-Jake
  • skinnedknee101
    skinnedknee101 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Umm...I really don't do low-carb usually, but I really like making turkey pepperoni chips. Just cook turkey pepperoni in the microwave for a little over a minute and eat them with dip like chips. Low-cal and low-carb.
  • spartangirl79
    spartangirl79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I have an open diary and just started doing the Metabolism Miracle program (long story, simple caloric deficits do not work for me so I'm doing lower carb). Feel free to add me!
  • sophia5_k
    sophia5_k Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My diary is open to friends and I eat low carb. As for inexpensive low carb dinners google Linda's low carb and its a website with a whole bunch of low carb recipes and I love it! My favorite recipe is the low carb spinach lasagna, it has a spinach mixture instead of noodles and in my opinion its better than any lasagna I've ever tired.
  • PeaceCorpsKat
    PeaceCorpsKat Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    It does not matter what time of day you eat. You should have a healthy, balanced dinner - with lean protien, vegetables, fiber, some form of carbohydrate, etc.

BTW, the people are your gym are not doctors. They are the absolute WORST people to listen to.