Does this sound like a good workout?

Options
Hi! :) New to this place.

I recently got a gym membership and it seems to be working (6 lbs lost in 2 weeks after rapid weight gain for the last 6 months). However, as I am new to this full on exercising gig, I wonder if what I am doing is going to be effective for the long haul.

I usually go to the gym three days a week for about an hour and a half. That's about all the free time I have at the moment.

I start with 25 minutes on the bike - doing the cardio mode. It usually clocks me at about 9 miles in 25 minutes.

Afterwards, I do some strength training. First arms, then abs, then legs and then one more cycle through of each.

I finish it off with 20 - 25 minutes on the elliptical.

Any suggestions on how to mix it up? Or get an even more effective work out in?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Go to www.crossfit.com and follow along with the workout of the day and you'll be just fine ;)
  • MessyLittlePanda
    MessyLittlePanda Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    hiya, and welcome :)

if you want to mix it up a bit and maybe meet some exercise buddies I'd try a class if they offer them. I like to break up my workout routine with classes, I love Body pump for strength training and Zumba for fun.
  • Lkoblara
    Lkoblara Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    It's more than I'm doing and I'm seeing results. I'm pretty new to this stuff too. Sounds like you have a good routine going. When you get closer to your goal weight you may want to increase the weight training based on what I've been reading.

I wish I could afford a gym membership. I am saving up to get my own elliptical though :)
  • maggiestoecker
    Options
    i am no expert but i've been told my multiple trainers in the past that it is better to do a short warm up (no more than 10 minutes) on a cardio machine prior to strength training. then do the rest of your cardio to make up the rest of your workout.
    i personally like to do it that way. it seems like it is easier to keep going when i do (but that could be totally just mentality & not reality!)
    regardless, if it is working for you & you are seeing results, i'd say it is a great workout & to keep it up!
  • JRUST85
    JRUST85 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Go to www.crossfit.com and follow along with the workout of the day and you'll be just fine ;)

I'll go check that out now! Thank you!
  • JRUST85
    Options
    hiya, and welcome :)

if you want to mix it up a bit and maybe meet some exercise buddies I'd try a class if they offer them. I like to break up my workout routine with classes, I love Body pump for strength training and Zumba for fun.

Back on my first go round with this weight loss thing, I tried to do classes. I, um, realized that my rhythm is nonexistant and I look like a fool in the class. lol I am going to try and do one..maybe..some day..when I get the courage again. Haha
  • Mullinspartyof5
    Options
    HI! I used to be a personal trainer back in the day before babies. Lol! 3 days a week and an hour and a half is fine. Great actually. At first, so you don't get burnt out....do about 30 minutes of cardio either before or after you strength training. Then when you do you strength training, alternate days according to muscle type. For example, Monday do cardio, back, and biceps. Then Wednesday do cardio, chest, abs, and triceps. Then Friday work your legs. I don't know which days you are going.....so just keep in mind to always let your muscles rest a day before you do them again. Hope this helps a little!
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I do a mix of different cardio machines and strength training too, but I do about 30-40 mins 5-6 days a week, instead of longer less days a week.

I love having the opportunity to go swimming, it's my favorite workout. I swim as often as possible.

I have a pair of pink barbells so I can burn calories even on my couch watching TV.

I power walk around the outside of my office building when I get bored.

I jog after it rains, the air smells so good and feels cool.

Just think of something you like to do and make an exercise out of it :)
  • JRUST85
    Options
    Thank you, guys!

I never realized how confusing the exercise aspect of it all could be. I have the calorie counting down. Now just gotta keep the momentum up in the workout zone!
  • sradnan
    sradnan Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/guides/ - find a plan here following the guide and stick to it. All I can say is, don't try to make up your own workouts, there is a reason these guys are professionals in the industry. Pick something, give it your all for 12 weeks, and I promise you will get results :)