weight gain death of only child

Options
kolohe91
kolohe91 Posts: 13 Member
I gained 57 lbs after my only child, Christopher died.. I ballooned up to 225.6 lbs. Finally started eating better and getting out of bed Jan 3 this year. Currently I am at 198.8. It felt good to get below 200. For over a month - I wasnt consistant with my food nor exercise so I bounced between 201 and 204. I still spend way too many hours in bed. On the positive side I have worked up to swimming a mile nonstop and riding my bike between 10 - 15 miles at a time. June 21 would have been my son's 21st birthday so I rode my bike 21 miles which took me 1 hr 50 minutes.

Replies

• girlyathlete21
    girlyathlete21 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Stay strong and good for you!!!! Your child wouldve wanted to see you healthy and living life!!!
  • debboike
    debboike Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Your story is heart touching. I am sure it is hard to go on each day. I too would like to be under 200. Keep up the great job. You should be proud of what you have accomplished. :smile:
  • BigRich822
    BigRich822 Posts: 681
    Options
    I am proud of you keep up the good work and if you need anything I am here for you.
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Oh, honey, I am so very sorry for your loss.

I think it's great how you are regaining control of your diet and exercise. You deserve to be happy and healthy.:flowerforyou:
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for your loss. The 21 miles for his 21st birthday is touching! Keep incorporating Christopher into your exercises. He is watching and cheering you on! :)
  • meggiemaye
    meggiemaye Posts: 117
    Options
    I have gained since the death of my younger brother by an accidental overdose on prescription pain medication. I am grieving but working and always looking for new friends! I am very supportive :0) I'll keep you in my thoughts!
  • Foren6chick
    Options
    I lost my mother almost 2 years ago, and I gained 30lbs, I am just now trying to get my health back. You can do it!!! Sounds like you are one the right track! Stay Strong!
  • bricktowngal
    bricktowngal Posts: 206
    Options
    Very sad story. I wish you all the best and luck in the world!
  • 13nicholas
    13nicholas Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry for your loss - it is my biggest fear. I am rooting for you!!!!!!
  • bergsangel
    bergsangel Posts: 131
    Options
    I am sorry to hear of your son's passing. It is great that you are starting to regain control. Sometimes I use exercise to dull pain. It seems that the pain gives me the drive on some days. Good luck to you.
  • Babymomakell
    Babymomakell Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    June 21 would have been my son's 21st birthday so I rode my bike 21 miles which took me 1 hr 50 minutes.

This is beautiful, you know that your son wants your happiness, and he is there in spirit encouraging you every mile. I use the gym to let out all my emotions... am I sometimes the weird chick who is crying on the treadmill, sure... but who cares? It makes me feel better, and it might help you too.
  • CWatermelon
    CWatermelon Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I gained 57 lbs after my only child, Christopher died.. I ballooned up to 225.6 lbs. Finally started eating better and getting out of bed Jan 3 this year. Currently I am at 198.8. It felt good to get below 200. For over a month - I wasnt consistant with my food nor exercise so I bounced between 201 and 204. I still spend way too many hours in bed. On the positive side I have worked up to swimming a mile nonstop and riding my bike between 10 - 15 miles at a time. June 21 would have been my son's 21st birthday so I rode my bike 21 miles which took me 1 hr 50 minutes.

I lost my daughter and life has never been the same. I take everyday one day at a time and I keep really busy. So busy that I forgot to take care of myself. I am taking care of myself now :) Stay on your strong side.
  • Laura_Ivy
    Laura_Ivy Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    When I lost my Grandma -who was just like my Mom- to cancer suddenly in October it took all my happiness and sucked it into a black hole somewhere and I could barely function. I am so sorry for the loss of your son but I am so happy to see you trying to rise above the grief. If you need supportive friends please feel free to add me! :)
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I lost a friend 2 weeks ago, he was only 19 and I know how much his family are struggling - I am dreading the funeral because I know it will be so so heartbreaking burying someone so young, and seeing his parents.

Sadly what happened shows life is delicate and fleeting - you need to honour your son by living your life to the full, and getting healthy is part of this.
  • crissyrox
    crissyrox Posts: 94
    Options
    I am so sorry for your loss. I know that words can never heal what has happened, the pain will always be there. However with time, it will get easier. I know that when my mom passed a few months ago, it was extremely hard and still is. However one of the cards I recieved had a really touching message that helped me. I hope it helps you as well...

"I'm not great at what words or any words that help. It sucks. Period. Everyone will offer up their thoughts but I thought they were all futile, so I offer you this. It was the only thing that brought me comfort, I hope it does for you as well.
    'Do not stand at my grave and weep. I am not there, I do not sleep. I am a thousan winds that blow; I am the diamond glints on the snow. I am the sunlight that ripened grain; I am the gentle autumn's rain. When you awaken in the mornings hush, I am the sweet uplifting rush, of quite birds in circled flight. I am the soft star that shines at night. Do not stand at my grave and cry. I am not there; I did not die"

The best we can do is try to hold onto their memories. Your son would be proud of you for trying to be healthy, he wouldn't have wanted you to stay in bed. The old addage still holds true no matter if your son calls earth or heaven home; in order to take care of our kids and be good mothers we must first take care of ourselves. I'm proud of you.
  • wabisabi
    wabisabi Posts: 6
    Options
    I am so sorry for your loss. :(
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I don't have anything to say but my heart is breaking for you. I am so sorry for your loss. You are amazing for just carrying on breathing each day.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    That is so so sad. I am so sorry. Stay strong.
  • mogriff1
    mogriff1 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I'm sending ((((hugs)))) and condolences to you. It sounds cliche, but I'm sure your son would want you to be happy and healthy. I agree with the other poster, incorporate your son into your workouts for inspiration and motivation. I'm praying for you as you cope with your loss. :flowerforyou:
  • pamn1146
    pamn1146 Posts: 1
    Options
    I know your pain. I lost my only daughter, age 33, to cancer six years ago. It is a daily struggle, however I'm sure your son would want you to live your life to the fullest by eating healthy with light excercise. I'm sure you'll be an inspiration to all who know you. Good luck.