How to not aggravate plantar fascitis?

Options
Hi! I'm hoping for a little advice. I just joined the YMCA, and started out with the elliptical (hoping to add some strength training once I get cardio going well). The first few workouts went well - sore muscles, but getting in better shape. Today I'm realizing that the elliptical is causing the plantar fascitis that I've had before. Anybody had this problem? Any ideas about avoiding this? There are treadmills, stair steppers, recumbent bikes, and ellipticals available for cardio. I've had PT for this before and I'm doing all the exercises again, along with ice and advil. I always wear shoes with really good arches. Thanks in advance for your help!

Replies

• Cdn_Dot
    Cdn_Dot Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I've had planar fascitis twice and achilles tendonitis twice as well. Orthotics might be an answer. Hopefully you have benefits through work to cover them, they can be pricey, but worth it. Perhaps also break up your cardio time with the recumbant bike and not focus too much on weight bearing exercise too much at this time. Keep icing and stretching! Good luck!
    Agreeing with the above poster, see your Dr as well, you'd need to see him anyways for the referral for orthotics.
  • lynn14
    lynn14 Posts: 116
    Options
    You got the right idea! Stretch, stretch, stretch!! I just had multiple cortizone shots in my plantar tendon and it has given me some relief! Hope it doesn't get to bad for you!! It is no fun to be injured! I am riding my bike instead of walking or jogging. Good luck to you!
  • peacemongernc
    peacemongernc Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    The only thing I found besides staying off of my foot was orthotics. I found that these worked: http://www.walkfitplatinum.com/ Nothing else seemed to help at all. I also bought some better shoes with really good support for my arch and foot bed: http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/BRK1010/ Apparently, the Brooks shoe I bought is supposed to have so much support I shouldn't need the orthotics, but I did. I used both for over a year before I was brave enough to try anything else. I hope you find something that works for you!
  • bkweibel
    bkweibel Posts: 77
    Options
    You need to see a foot doctor. I starting working out and developed foot pain, which I ignored. When the pain became too much and walking was difficult, I went only to be diagnosed with Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome (like Carpal Tunnel, but in feet and ankles), plantar fascitis, and heel spurs. I went through months of different treatments and and currently recovering from surgery on my right foot. It has been painful and VERY inconvenient. In a few weeks, I will be going through the same thing on my left foot. I am a teacher and will have to go back to work in the fall in a wheelchair. NOT FUN!!!! Please don't risk it.
  • MizLizzie55
    MizLizzie55 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've had the exact same issue. Elliptical caused plantar fasciitis, then spent months in PT. Today is the first day I've tried the elliptical since then. We'll see how it is tomorrow. I purposely made sure I was landing on my heels. It killed the quads and glutes, but need work there anyway.

As to your question, I've found the recumbent bikes allowed me to workout without causing more pain and damage. The treadmill hurt and I don't like the regular bikes. I also did water aerobics however, even with wearing water shoes, the landing and pushing off the bottom of the pool caused a lot of pain.

Oh, I also have new orthotics and new athletic shoes. One more important, though unpopular thing is that I have avoided anything but flat shoes like the plague. Every time I wore them I had days of pain following. I think it's imperative to wear the supportive shoes and orthotics all the time.... no bare feet, sandals, or flip-flops. :-(

Good luck....I'm sorry you're having to deal with this!
  • peacemongernc
    Options
    triple post
  • peacemongernc
    Options
    double post
  • KeepGoingRhonda
    KeepGoingRhonda Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I suffered terribly for so long with PF....Did all the things that the Doctors recommended , in the end I got Cortizone shots in both feet and have been great since! Wish you all the best!
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I actually found that sleeping with one of those braces helps me the most. Sure, it's the activity that aggravates it, but wearing the brace overnight helps stretch the muscle. I would definitely get fitted for one of those, and probably for orthotics too. Definitely talk to your podiatrist.
  • HollyRutledge
    HollyRutledge Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I have it, and I have been doing non weight bearing excersize and staying off them as much as possible the rest of the time (docs advice) I use a stationary bike and I am still losing weight. It is also getting better.. when I lose more weight I believe it will probably be better and then I can begin weight bearing exersices.....JMO but hope this helps...PF SUCKS! :flowerforyou:
  • lizzardsm
    lizzardsm Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Stretch your calves multiple times a day. Also work on building the muscle in your calves. From what I've read, weak and tight calves are big contributors to PF.

http://www.active.com/fitness/Articles/2-Yoga-for-Plantar-Fasciitis.htm?cmp=17-7-2425

I found this website to be super helpful too. Good luck!
    http://heelspurs.com/index.html
  • choochoobell
    choochoobell Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • tracyhall63
    tracyhall63 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Doctor, stretch and I mean everything from the toe to the top of your head, never get out of bed before stretching, and see you doctor to ensure your diagnosis is correct. :smile:
  • willow_rb
    willow_rb Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Stretch your calves multiple times a day. Also work on building the muscle in your calves. From what I've read, weak and tight calves are big contributors to PF.

http://www.active.com/fitness/Articles/2-Yoga-for-Plantar-Fasciitis.htm?cmp=17-7-2425

I found this website to be super helpful too. Good luck!
    http://heelspurs.com/index.html

Thank you for the yoga website-I will be doing it every day. Hope my PF gets better