protein suggestions

Options
the nutritionist i saw told me to eat more protein and less carbs. i have trouble big time doing that. nearly everything i eat has carbs in it. i have been trying to choose healthier ones though. yall got any suggestions on protein besides peanuts, peanut butter, cottage cheese and cheese that i don't gotta cook that can be used as snacks? or if i have to cook it won't take too long to cook?

Replies

• mstclair03
    mstclair03 Posts: 151
    Options
    My old Bootcamp instructor would make us run around in circles chanting the "Protein Mantra":

MEAT FISH FOWL EGGS CHEESE MILK NUTS!

There are low-carb protein drinks out there too, and I find that they keep me full for a spell. You can find some good deals at Costco/Sams.

Good luck!
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    i add protein to my oatmeal which bumps up my intake considerably. eggs are a great source. i also use deli turkey meat as snacks here and there when i get hungry between my meals.
  • WhitneyT586
    WhitneyT586 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Chobani or Fage Greek Yogurt. The plain or vanilla have about 22-23 g protein per cup. I make smoothies out of them with fresh/frozen fruit and sugar free pudding mixes.
  • kwin91
    kwin91 Posts: 128
    Options
    Hard Boiled eggs, veggie burgers, and dairy which you know. Lunch meat surprisingly if you get low sodium it has like 10 grams! brocolli, spinach, and other veggies. Hummus I believe.
  • thriftycupl
    thriftycupl Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I cook a whole box of turkey burgers at a time and then pull them out of the refrigerator throughout the week. Also steak, pork chops, almonds and protein shakes.
  • calabrdm
    calabrdm Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Think thin protein bars are awesome. 20 grams protein, no sugar.
  • scatgash
    scatgash Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Bump for later ^_^
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    And watch the ingredients in those protein shakes and bars!! MOST of them have artificial flavors, coffee creamer, etc. Stay away from soy protein in the ingredient list. And watch the protein bars...some of them are worse for you than a Snickers bar! I found me an all natural protein shake that also contains a full days worth of veggies, is made from whole foods, full of super fruits and antioxidants and is low on the glycemic index... If you want more info, let me know. Also, Eggland's Best has pre-cooked hard boiled eggs that come in a resealable pack (already peeled too!) and they're a little better for you b/c they're vegetarian-fed hens. If you can't find those at your supermarket, you can pre hard boil eggs and once they cool keep in the fridge with the shell on for up to 5 days. Then you can crack, rinse and go!
  • jenkidney
    jenkidney Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I get tons of my protein from chicken.
  • imlik
    imlik Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    i add protein to my oatmeal which bumps up my intake considerably. eggs are a great source. i also use deli turkey meat as snacks here and there when i get hungry between my meals.

What kind of protein? Is there just like, a jar of protein that you use?

Watching this thread for new developments, as I also need less carbs and more protein
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options

What kind of protein? Is there just like, a jar of protein that you use?

Watching this thread for new developments, as I also need less carbs and more protein
    \

i use a whey protein powder. just plain flavor is good enough for me. i work at starbucks so i use our protein powder on days i work. mmm.
  • Nutrition1st
    Nutrition1st Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I'm picky so my diet is boring. Fish and chicken every day. There are several protein choices out there tho.

http://www.choosemyplate.gov/food-groups/protein-foods.html
  • mtsips
    mtsips Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I love boiling eggs... cut them in half, remove the yolk and replace it with low fat cottage cheese. Trust me, this is delicious!
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Quest protein bars. Chocolate and the Chocolate peanut butter are yummy!
  • skithetrees7B
    Options
    We eat a family dinner every night with meat, carbs(bread and pasta,potatoes or rice), salad and veggies. This week I started only making enough pasta or rice for the kiddos to have 1 serving each. My husband and I just eat the veggies, salad and meat. I am consuming much less than when I would have two or three helpings of pasta. The kids still get a balanced diet. And there isn't a fridge full of tempting leftovers.
  • Bub1971
    Bub1971 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I use Dymatized Nutrition protein it is isolated whey protein 0 to 1 carb depending on the flavor and only 106 cal per serving.
  • Lyn293
    Lyn293 Posts: 5
    Options
    Excellent idea with the pudding mixes. I am going to try that.
  • LJSlocum
    LJSlocum Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I enjoy premier chocolate shakes. They taste really good and have 30grams of protein
  • 1Traci
    1Traci Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    boiled eggs (minus the yolk) . High protein & no fat
  • Lambeze
    Lambeze Posts: 237
    Options
    Cellucor has a good protein. It has 30g of protein per scoop and only 130cal which is hard to come by.