New house BARKING dogs

Options
Hi, I have a question. I love dogs, and have 2 of my own. As does most of my family. I crate mine at night. I just purchased a new home an my neighbors dogs start barking YAPPING non-stop from dawn to about 8 a.m. I don't want to cause any negative vibes or issues with the neighbors. After all, I am the new=gal on the block. However, it has been 12 days of this now. I am exhausted, I go to bed later due to a split shift at work. If this was a mid-day issue it would still be anoyng, but I am not sure I would even address it. Dogs bark when people are out an about making noise etc.... THIS is the wee hours of the morning. These dogs clearly want/need something THAT early. Any suggestions? I am so bad at confrintations. They are a corner house and if I wrote an annomyous (sp?) letter, they would know it was me. Help~~~~~~~~~~ Thank you.

Replies

• EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    I'd just politely say something to do them.
  • gary6531
    gary6531 Posts: 11
    Options
    If you are not good at confrontations just call animal control folks. Start a paper trail
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Check out what your local noise ordinances are. If quiet enjoyment is from 11 PM to 7 AM as it is in my area, you can call either animal control and make a complaint or call the non-emergency police number to complain.
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    You need to have a word with those Dogs..let them know they're bothering you.
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have a question. I love dogs, and have 2 of my own. As does most of my family. I crate mine at night. I just purchased a new home an my neighbors dogs start barking YAPPING non-stop from dawn to about 8 a.m. I don't want to cause any negative vibes or issues with the neighbors. After all, I am the new=gal on the block. However, it has been 12 days of this now. I am exhausted, I go to bed later due to a split shift at work. If this was a mid-day issue it would still be anoyng, but I am not sure I would even address it. Dogs bark when people are out an about making noise etc.... THIS is the wee hours of the morning. These dogs clearly want/need something THAT early. Any suggestions? I am so bad at confrintations. They are a corner house and if I wrote an annomyous (sp?) letter, they would know it was me. Help~~~~~~~~~~ Thank you.

We moved into a house six years ago and the neighbors' dogs still bark at us whenever we leave the house, come home, or (gasp) go out in our own backyard. My point is, I don't know that it will necessarily get better with time.
  • Sockimobi
    Sockimobi Posts: 541
    Options
    My next door neighbours have 3 dogs that barked constantly whilst their owners were out. We put up with it for a while, but eventually mentioned it to them. Of course they had no idea this was happening. I'm not sure what measures they have taken, but they rarely bark now... unless my cats are taunting them :laugh:

I understand how frustrating it is. I think you should just let them know it's bothering you.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    You're kinda screwed. Low priority for everyone except the person being woken up each night. Wrote my neighbors a polite note. No help. I tried talking to my neighbors about their dogs. I called animal control. No help. Cops. No help.

Barking didn't stop until the dogs died.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Do you have a Home Owners' Association you can contact?
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    The best thing to do is bring over some cookies and a few animal treats and talk to them about it. You may be able to work out a reasonable compromise.

I had that problem with a neighbor when she'd let her dog out, and she ended up getting a muzzle for the dog that she'd use only in the morning - the dog would still bark but the volume was greatly reduced and was tolerable. Some friends of mine, after receiving repeated complaints from a neighbor, had their dog's vocal cords surgically altered (a very minor procedure) so his bark was a lot quieter. There are ways to fix the problem without getting rid of or harming the dog.

If politely talking to them about it and later a call to your Homeowner's Association Nazi (if you have one) or the local Animal Control doesn't help, get a vuvuzela or a bullhorn with annoying sound effects and match the dog bark-for-bark. Or drown it out with REALLY LOUD rock music and point the speakers in their general direction. Just make sure you get something that's pretty directional or you might get other neighbors madder at you than you are at your current neighbor.

Of course, if your local ordinances don't call for a quiet time, you can always buy a few throwaway prepaid cell phones and start calling them when you get home from your shift. Just say "these calls stop when the dogs stop barking early" and hang up.
  • focus4fitness
    focus4fitness Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I have a neighbor that puts her little dog outside every night at about 10o'clock and it just barks and barks and barks and barks for an hour. I have not done anything about it yet, but I just wanted to say that I really feel for you. People can be so thoughtless.
  • atomiclauren
    atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    We used to have neighbors like that - the dog would bark nonstop even while they were home. I don't get how someone can tolerate it that close when we could hear it loud and clear much farther away.

Maybe they're not home during those hours and don't even know. Either way, short of throwing constant steaks over the fence, leaving a note would probably be the easiest thing to do and go from there.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Air horn.
  • cowgirlzride
    Options
    I LOVE all these ideas and suggestions. I had not even thought of calling the city. Or so many other ideas you all had! No home owners assoc, but I know the city would dispatch due to the (well, I hope they would) cooooonnnnssstant yYYyaaypppiinnngggG SO early. Then, at those times, of course you can't go back to sleep. :grumble: Hence~ my exhaustion. I loved the pre-paid cell phone idea.... LOL... that right there is pretty darn smart! I am going to inlist everyone of these ideas, short of the steaks over the fence and cutting their dogs vocal cords. :laugh:

I am sorry for all of you others who are dealing with the same issue. Yeah, it's pretty crazy even they can tolerate it- as they are home. He is retired, and she works nights and sleeps days. HEY.... MAybe I should record her dogs and PLAY IT LOUD during the day while she is trying to sleep. Naw~ Just venting there. I do want to be neighbourly.... just HAS to stop.

I hope all you beautiful, healthy friends out there have a great (quiet) night. (((Hugs)))) Sandi
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    If you're a non-confrontational person, maybe first you could try striking up a casual conversation with them, talking about your history if you can swing the convo that way. Work in something about having a family dog growing up even if it's not true, and then they might say something like "I have a dog," and then you could say, "Oh, yes, I've heard them barking around dawn before." That might hint to the person that there is a problem.
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    You should address it to them before making a complaint. Making a complaint can just cause problems and create more tension which is something you or your neighbor don't need since you are both having to live there. Just go up to them politely, let them know of your concerns, most people are understandable if its done politely and not in a nit pick or rude way. Maybe even invite them over after the talk to break any tensions that might of arised from the conversation so they know it isn't a you out to get them type of thing.
  • cowgirlzride
    Options
    FINAL OUT COME~ Well, I had a talk about the dogs yesterday. I wanted it to come naurally, so it did not come as an attack. So, I had not gone over for a specifc DOG TALK. We were trying to 'chat' and the dogs barked and barked the entire time. I could barley think. I asked, goodness, doesn't that bother you? The conversation went to them saying no, we are use to it and barley notice. I told them my family is exhausted. We've said nothing for these past 3 weeks... blah blah... I even showed them how I crate my poodles at night, and cover the crates. They then said they were taking them to PetSmart for training. One is 17 yrs old, one 8 months. I told them I am familiar with that program and they don't handle barking. HOWEVER, that opened another door for me to talk about the humane collars I had gotten for my poodles when I was showing the other property prior to moving. They send out an adjustable squeek first. Or, a vibration of varying strengths if you choose if the squeek does not work. Last, the humane shock collar. Not like an electric shock, but one like if you put your tongue on a 9 volt battery- as the worst/last resort so keep reading Again, with settings 1-10. The father said, nope. I want them to be security and if someone tried to break in they would bark. "Which would help you too" I have an ADT security system, of which I did not say. I did say- NO thank you, my family really needs to sleep past 4-5:00 A.M. They stop about 8-9 A.M. So, it is non stop for hourssssssssss............ Ulitmatley, there goes my hope for a relationship, like we had been building the first week. I guess, the air horn may be my first thought. If I am awake, so should they be. (unless it is SO loud it woke up other neighbors too) Then, the animal/police quite time zoning. Thank you all so much.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    You're kinda screwed. Low priority for everyone except the person being woken up each night. Wrote my neighbors a polite note. No help. I tried talking to my neighbors about their dogs. I called animal control. No help. Cops. No help.

Barking didn't stop until the dogs died.
    Threw them a ball laced with cyanide?:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • teacupowl
    teacupowl Posts: 104
    Options
    Some friends of mine, after receiving repeated complaints from a neighbor, had their dog's vocal cords surgically altered (a very minor procedure) so his bark was a lot quieter. There are ways to fix the problem without getting rid of or harming the dog.

This makes me just a little sad on the inside. :( But mostly because it's more personal. One of our babies was dropped off at a shelter after someone botched his vocal cord surgery. It's very hard for him to make any kind of sound at all, and when he does manage to bark, you can tell it hurts him. There are tons of puppy mills that do this surgery to make the dogs more desirable for future owners because they're "quiet". It just kind of makes my skin crawl, cutting off a living creature's voice.

Barking is something a little elbow grease and real dedication can fix. It's up to the owner to fix the problem. If all else fails, a nonrestrictive muzzle is always an option.

But back to the OP! I definitely know your pain! Our neighbor has a few dogs chained up in his yard (which bothers me to no end), and they bark at clouds, I swear! We live outside of city limits, so there really isn't too much we can do besides grin and bear it.

If all else fails, and your neighbors won't cooperate, and neither will the law, try a noise machine. It may take some getting used to, but it's certainly better than being woken up every morning! I use a very loud fan to drown out the noise outside, and now I can't sleep if it's too quiet, lol! But there's always music and those lovely rain machine thingamabobs. :-)
  • dan323
    dan323 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Did you say BB gun ?:devil:
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I would recommend very politely discussing it with your neighbor before taking any other action.

Going to the city or filing a complaint of any kind before giving them an opportunity to take action first is almost certainly not going to go well.

Just my two cents.