Replies

• akiramezu
    akiramezu Posts: 278
    Options
    356qou.jpg
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Perhaps I will add a tablespoon of olive oil everyday to help with essential fatty acids.

Good idea. Fish, avocado, nuts, dairy are all good too.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    Perhaps I will add a tablespoon of olive oil everyday to help with essential fatty acids.

you're just doing calorie restriction with the cereal. why not add in the foods you should be eating, but still do calorie restriction (since that works for you)

not eating vegetables just baffles my mind.
  • someonefromny
    Options
    I'm supplementing with whey protein mostly but any type of lean protein will do. I'm aiming for 100 grams of protein a day to avoid muscle loss. This is an important point though because many dieters I think think in terms of overall calories and negate protein but protein is essential on any diet. A little know fact is protein only has a 58 % conversion ratio into energy which means its better to make sure we are getting enough protein than worry about calories. Even if we eat too much protein with the 42% energy loss it negates the problem.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Why?
  • SquishyFighter
    Options
    If you do mainly cereal you may gain the weight back. I had a friend only eat cereal for a few weeks and she did lose weight but once she started eating different foods it came back ten fold. However, I understand coming up with a solid weight-loss plan takes time. So good luck!
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    VEGETABLES
  • gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    Options
    I think you are joking! How boring can that be?loosing weight is simple you burn more calories than you consume eating all of one type of food no matter what it is and little of anything else is just ridiculous!
  • Pimpmonkey
    Pimpmonkey Posts: 566
    Options
    I guess if I have anything to offer on this, it would be to suggest you measure it vary carefully- it is SO easy to overestimate cereal portions, and they always look pathetically small when you measure them out by weight.

OMG right?!
  • someonefromny
    Options
    One thing I have learned is that the conventional advice of eating a well balanced diet has not solved the obesity problem in this country and people keep getting fatter. I feel as though people need to keep things simple to document their daily calorie intake and I just chose cereal as my base of the plan but anything would work. This really is not that much different than meal replacements such as slim fast or the cookie diet.
  • caraiselite
    Options
    I'm supplementing with whey protein mostly but any type of lean protein will do. I'm aiming for 100 grams of protein a day to avoid muscle loss. This is an important point though because many dieters I think think in terms of overall calories and negate protein but protein is essential on any diet. A little know fact is protein only has a 58 % conversion ratio into energy which means its better to make sure we are getting enough protein than worry about calories. Even if we eat too much protein with the 42% energy loss it negates the problem.

so eat the protein. eat vegetables, eat fat!
    stop focusing on the cereal. whole grains are great.. but you need vegetables and fruit too.

what will you do once you 'lose your weight' ?

you should just practice your healthy eating habits now, instead of relying on cereal.
  • mochagirl262
    Options
    I guess if I have anything to offer on this, it would be to suggest you measure it vary carefully- it is SO easy to overestimate cereal portions, and they always look pathetically small when you measure them out by weight.

OMG right?!

Am I the only one who would justify pouring in more cereal because I overestimated the amount of milk needed?

24307529.png
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    2% greek yogurt with a serving of cereal and some berries mixed in is a winning meal in my book. I would then do the whey with milk, and have some salads/veggies with olive oil and you'll come close to a balanced diet.
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    One thing I have learned is that the conventional advice of eating a well balanced diet has not solved the obesity problem in this country and people keep getting fatter. I feel as though people need to keep things simple to document their daily calorie intake and I just chose cereal as my base of the plan but anything would work. This really is not that much different than meal replacements such as slim fast or the cookie diet.

Thats because people are scared of eating fat, and trust things like slim fast. The majority of people who do slim fast, keep doing it because they cant lose weight or have regained...and have no idea HOW to eat. If this cereal thing floats your boat, fine, but don't forget to start a 'hello' thread when you're back after regaining the weight you might lose.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

OMG right?!

Am I the only one who would justify pouring in more cereal because I overestimated the amount of milk needed?

Totally. I've ended up in a neverending cycle of adding cereal and milk alternately and eating like 5 servings of each. Easily. Without the satisfaction that comes with a real meal.
  • barbaracoffing
    barbaracoffing Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Kashi cereals are better than cheerios, they are whole grain and have lots of fiber to keep you full and detox your colon! Also, you need to get at least 25 grams of protein w/ each meal even if it's just a protein shake. Lowering your carbs and eating a slightly higher protein diet is better. Here's why. "The body burns these macronutrients in this order: First carbs, then fats, then protein. That means if you eat a bowl of cereal for breakfast, your body will use the carbohydrates in the cereal to provide all the energy you need, burning no body fat. If you have a protein shake or eat an omelette, your body will go to your fat reserves and use stored energy to provide the energy your body needs to function. Most people eat more carbs and fats than protein, therefore, their bodies never get around to losing fat while maintaining muscle mass. If you reverse that, by eating protein and very little fat and only slow-burning carbs, you will get the desired result." (http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/fitness/weight-loss/how-to-burn-fat-build-muscle.html) This was also explained to me by my doctor last week. It turns into muscle faster that way.
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options

Done being nice.

No, rarely do the food groups alone help with obesity. At that point, you have to make sure you're focusing a lot on the calories in and calories out equation. But preparing yourself to eat all of these food groups will help you maintain in the long-run. Just because you're losing weight doesn't mean you shouldn't incorporate whole grains, veggies, fruit, fats, proteins, dairy, and the occasional junk!

You're right. Cereal is like slim fast and the cookie diet.. Stupid.

You will lose weight. And you will gain it back.
  • caraiselite
    Options
    Kashi cereals are better than cheerios, they are whole grain and have lots of fiber to keep you full and detox your colon! Also, you need to get at least 25 grams of protein w/ each meal even if it's just a protein shake. Lowering your carbs and eating a slightly higher protein diet is better. Here's why. "The body burns these macronutrients in this order: First carbs, then fats, then protein. That means if you eat a bowl of cereal for breakfast, your body will use the carbohydrates in the cereal to provide all the energy you need, burning no body fat. If you have a protein shake or eat an omelette, your body will go to your fat reserves and use stored energy to provide the energy your body needs to function. Most people eat more carbs and fats than protein, therefore, their bodies never get around to losing fat while maintaining muscle mass. If you reverse that, by eating protein and very little fat and only slow-burning carbs, you will get the desired result." (http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/fitness/weight-loss/how-to-burn-fat-build-muscle.html) This was also explained to me by my doctor last week. It turns into muscle faster that way.

good post. i think this way is the most simplest i've seen it explained.
  • idahogirl71
    idahogirl71 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    Special K has a program that is replacing 2 meals with cereal, but it is not recommended to only eat cereal....you will not be healthy if that is all you eat because you will not be getting your fruits, vegies, or protein. Be very careful of any diet that eliminates entire food categories. Those diets are meant for short-term to lose 5-10 pounds. If you are on it for a long time you will just gain back what you loose when you start eating regular foods again.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    People keep getting fatter partly because they don't follow the conventional advice (c.f. all the studies on the socio-economics of obesity). :)

So, um, welcome to MFP! As you see, you're not going to find a lot of people here in favor of slim fast or cookie diets either, but you should still hang around. The forums are full of good information (and some bad info as well, but mostly good). Feel free to friend me if you'd like.

FYI, it is possible to gain weight on a well-balanced diet. I gained 20 lbs in 3 years by being only 40-50 calories over per day. That's about 1/3 of a glass of milk, or 1 tsp. of olive oil, or half of a hard-boiled egg. Not much at all. That's why we are counting calories here; because your body is happiest when you are slowly putting on the pounds!