Can't eat over 1000 calories

Options
2»

Replies

• walkwithme1
    walkwithme1 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Excerpt from Prevention Magazine.

The following metabolism-boosting food rules were developed by Dan Benardot, PhD, RD, an associate professor of nutrition and kinesiology at Georgia State University, and Tammy Lakatos, RD.

Learn how to adjust your eating plan and keep your fat-burning furnace ignited all day long.
    You don't eat enough
    You need to cut calories to lose weight, but it's important not to overdo it. Going too low delivers a double whammy to your metabolism. When you eat less than you need for basic biological function (about 1,200 calories for most women), your body throws the brakes on your metabolism. It also begins to break down precious, calorie-burning muscle tissue for energy, says Benardot.
    "Eat just enough so you're not hungry — a  150-calorie snack midmorning and midafternoon between three meals (about 430 calories each) will keep your metabolism humming."
    By eating a meal every 3 to 4 hours, you'll stay satisfied and keep from overeating later in the day.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    I think it's a bit common. We got overweight by ignoring the amounts and our body signals. So we try to reverse things which causes us to over-correct. We focus on the amounts and the satiety to the point where we can't eat much. It's a balancing act and a skill that takes learning.

1000 calories/day is not going to hurt you, if you have fat to lose. If you find yourself consistently under 800, it might be time to think about a spoonful or two of p.b. or something. Not much portioning needed there.
  • microburst20
    microburst20 Posts: 130
    Options
    I think it's a bit common. We got overweight by ignoring the amounts and our body signals. So we try to reverse things which causes us to over-correct. We focus on the amounts and the satiety to the point where we can't eat much. It's a balancing act and a skill that takes learning.

1000 calories/day is not going to hurt you, if you have fat to lose. If you find yourself consistently under 800, it might be time to think about a spoonful or two of p.b. or something. Not much portioning needed there.

I agree. I have days when I am starving and have a hard time even staying 500-600 over my goal. Other days (mostly when I eat more healthy) I am careful all day and then realize I am kind of low but it is almost bedtime and I am not hungry. At first I ran around eating more calories on the days I was low. Then I realized that wasnt really necessary. Maybe as time goes by calorie levels will be more even but right now I try not to have too many higher days or lower days and strive for goal.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    That is how it is for me, too. I listen to my body and some days or even weeks it's 1000ish then some days or weeks it's almost double. But it averages out to an ok deficit in the end. I'd much rather listen to my body than force myself to eat on days I don't want to and starve on days I do want to.
  • hillm12345
    hillm12345 Posts: 313 Member
    Options

The following metabolism-boosting food rules were developed by Dan Benardot, PhD, RD, an associate professor of nutrition and kinesiology at Georgia State University, and Tammy Lakatos, RD.

Learn how to adjust your eating plan and keep your fat-burning furnace ignited all day long.
    You don't eat enough
    You need to cut calories to lose weight, but it's important not to overdo it. Going too low delivers a double whammy to your metabolism. When you eat less than you need for basic biological function (about 1,200 calories for most women), your body throws the brakes on your metabolism. It also begins to break down precious, calorie-burning muscle tissue for energy, says Benardot.
    "Eat just enough so you're not hungry — a  150-calorie snack midmorning and midafternoon between three meals (about 430 calories each) will keep your metabolism humming."
    By eating a meal every 3 to 4 hours, you'll stay satisfied and keep from overeating later in the day.

I love the articles in both Prevention and Self. Self also has some great recipes and workouts.
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    don't worry sweetie, i find myself less hungry when the days are hot too.
  • herownkindofwonderfull
    herownkindofwonderfull Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Chicken, salmon, basically healthy foods like fruits and so on. And sadly I'm allergic. :cry:

try throwing in some protein supplements. many will had a hundred or so calories, and give you a good source of protein.

Avocado is a GREAT one!!

IDK, check out my diary. see if you like anything in there. :P
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Try switching to full-fat everything. Salad dressing, milk, yogurt, cheese, etc. Add some healthy oils when you're cooking. Eat avocados. Maybe try eating a bit larger portions to fill in that calorie gap, too. :D

Maybe every now and then treat yourself to some desserts to add some calories and just to enjoy yourself! You can even make healthy versions if you're concerned about too many empty calories. Healthy cookie dough dip comes to mind. You might be able to find something to replace the nut butter in the recipe. :)http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/05/23/want-to-eat-an-entire-bowl-of-cookie-dough/
  • estitom
    estitom Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I think you should go to a doctor. It's not normal to feel that way. I'm surprised that people here tell you that it's okay and perfectly fine... We're supposed to eat ~2000 calories to maintain weight, some of us need less, some more. If you don't feel hungry enough to have more than 1000 calories, something is wrong. I'm not saying that it's serious and urgent, but you should go and check why your appetite is so low.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

You don't eat enough

This is very close to what I am doing now with MFP. The snacks (high protein) in the morning and afternoon are awesome and I am never "starving" before the next meal. AND I love your passion flowers on you ticker!
  • Biggipooh
    Biggipooh Posts: 350
    Options
    My advice you need counseling. This isn't a healthy lifestyle and no doctor is going to recommend you eating this few of calories and anyone that is a "friend" isn't really a friend if they at telling you it's perfectly fine to eat that few or not to eat any food and just drink shakes! That's bull**** and you're heading down a road of anorexia and you'll have a much harder time recovering from that than of you, heaven forbid, gain 5 pounds and start to look healthy. Ask any guy and they will agree, a girl with a little meat on her bones is more attractive that seeing skin and bones. You'll look healthier with a few pounds on you.

And before I get reamed, this is my opinion, take it or leave it but all these young girls eating less than their body needs to survive are headed down a dangerous path, no different than someone who is at the other extreme eating too much. And I've been there and lessons learned. If you are truly that worried, see a nutritionist, and ask their advice.

It's awfully rude to outright accuse her of having an eating disorder and needing counseling. She mentioned food allergies. My friend has celiacs disease and her intestines are so screwed up (was diagnosed late) that it takes MUCH more food for her to gain the nutrition that she needs. She almost needs to eat twice what a normal person would eat just to survive. And yet, she's 4'10" and 85 pounds. She tries to eat calorie dense foods to make up for her deficiencies but her body is just not cooperating. Not to mention that if she eats too much, she gets sick anyways. She's always going to be tiny, and she's always going to have to work hard to shovel food down her throat just to survive. It sucks; someone may look at her and think she could have an eating disorder, but she certainly does not. She wants to eat normally, but her health prevents that.

And even if the OP had mentioned she feels she has an emotional problem with eating food, you don't need to start off with YOU NEED COUNSELING. What an insolent way to treat someone.

That was not rude at all. Everybody has a different opinion about things like that. Maybe she has an eating disorder, maybe not. Only a doctor or nutritionist can judge that..... But it is always a good thing, to point the possibility out. Better safe, than sorry.

You said, your friend has celiacs desease. I bet, she or he went to a doctor for the problems.....
  • geordiegirl27
    geordiegirl27 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I can totally understand what you're experiencing, when I was a lot younger I used to severely limit my calorie intake. I got quite ill but thankfully realised that what I was doing wasn't healthy and with a lot of help from my family I learnt to eat properly again (I didnt become anorexic but got to the point where I could have crossed that line)

I now find that I still tend to restrict myself when I'm trying to lose weight, when I first joined WW many years ago I had to eat more, I was terrified I'd gain weight but the leader was very supportive and you know what the weight came off.

I'm now back to calorie counting doing this and I'm fearful of calories in some foods and having to be careful not to become fixated and keep to the calories allocated and to start using some of the calories burnt during exercise.

Please be careful please try to eat a few more cals, even if its by going back to full fat versions of food you may be having low fat, pesto is lovely with salmon then wrapped in parma ham, you're not eating more food but you are getting more calories. Use olive oil to lightly fry some veg for a stir fry you can add a few more without trying - same as people wishing to cut out these hidden calories.

Stay healthy
  • LittleNicci
    LittleNicci Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    to OP: I'm allergic to everything and still manage to eat plenty of calories. just need to get more dense foods in your diet. try adding flaxseed oil or powder to your foods to boost fiber and protein, add a protein shake to your daily routine
  • LittleNicci
    LittleNicci Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I'm not doing it on purpose, it's just that no matter what I eat, it's just not enough calories. It's even more harder since I have to portion every single meal.

Any one else out there that have the same problem?
    Help much appreciated. :flowerforyou:

what are you allergic to?
  • Living4Liz2012
    Options
    Yeah I am the same way, but lately I try to squeeze in shakes when I am not hungry to hit at least 1200
  • mlewon
    mlewon Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I'm not doing it on purpose, it's just that no matter what I eat, it's just not enough calories. It's even more harder since I have to portion every single meal.

Any one else out there that have the same problem?
    Help much appreciated. :flowerforyou:

Trying adding some shakes or drinks like the Bolthouse products

bolthouse.. mmmm
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Switch low fat/fat free, low cal items for higher fat and calorie versions of foods.

Drink protein shakes, eat cheese, full fat milk, add olive oil to your foods, etc. You need to increase your cals... when you consistantly eat too little your body gets used to it and won't burn as well as before.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    You need to try and eat more through out the day. Once your body gets used to being fed you'll find that you actually are hungry. I just upped my calorie intake a bit and although I'm finding it a little hard to hit my goal right now I've been feeding myself (slowly) through out the day and I'm finding that I'm getting hungrier and the calories I am eating are getting me closer to my goal.

Like some of the people here mentioned add in some protein shakes and use full fat versions of items.