One cheat day a week?

Options
I was just wondering if people take one cheat day a week where you don't count calories? Or are you pretty strict at it 7 days a week? I'm in my first week and fine but I hear so much about taking a cheat day so you don't binge. What you guys think?

Replies

• stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    If you can get through your diet without cheating, then go for it. Don't just add a cheat day because you hear people doing it.

I personally don't like to schedule cheat days - actually I wouldn't even consider a WHOLE DAY of cheating. A meal is enough imo, if you really feel the need.
  • raeraeti
    raeraeti Posts: 108
    Options
    Whenever I have a cheat day, I usually go way over and gain some weight back.
    A lot of people on here save up their calories for a specific day and then indulge :) For example, if your goal is 1500 and for 6 days you only eat 1400, then on the seventh day you get to eat 2100 calories. That is basically a 700 calorie treat.

With this method, you will never go over your weekly calories but still be able to have one day of indulgence.
    I find it works best for me.
  • inkydnk3
    inkydnk3 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    When was following the Body for Life program I did have one "free day" with that program. I liked it in the beginning because I felt like I had a day too look forward to so if I had a craving for ice cream I knew I could wait for my "free day" and have it. As time passed I soon realized that I was actually even watching what I was eating and making better choices all week long. Didn't even need the "free days" anymore.
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I log everything 7 days a week, but I will have "cheat items" which I just exercise off later.
  • cedes_88
    cedes_88 Posts: 2
    Options
    I think it's important to let yourself cheat once and a while and not deprive your self of everything. I myself have a cheat day and if I want something small in the week I have it. But that's just what works for me. Everyone is different. If you eat clean and start binging, maybe you should think about giving your self a meal or even a day. You just have to find what works best for you.
  • workoutgirl23
    Options
    I do this. Not every one likes to do it. but i like it, i think it helps me indulge and keep on track.and i'm still losing weight. i will count calories 6 days out of the week and eat very low calorie, and then on the 7th day, i will allow myself one day off, where i don't count calories. i just enjoy my food, and sneak in some extra treats and a few drinks. i love my one cheat day per week. it hasn't hurt me yet.
  • Skinny_Jeans_Soon
    Skinny_Jeans_Soon Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I dont' log on the weekends but try to stay close to my cal goal. So it is my cheat days but I hardly ever go over. I guess I feel like I am cheating because I don't have to log. 9 times out of 10 I log anyways and am under goal. I am already at my goal weight so I am thinking about really having a cheat day every now and then.
  • gabyks
    gabyks Posts: 9
    Options
    I agree it's whatever works best for you. For example, over-indulging for a whole day--especially if it's food that throws my blood-sugar out of whack--really messes me up. My appetite sky-rockets for a few days after, and it's painful getting it back under control. So instead I'll have a cheat meal, usually on the weekend. I want to eat well for life and not feel deprived, so my daily diet is based on foods I enjoy anyway.
  • Elise_healthy4life
    Elise_healthy4life Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat day once a month but I still log it I find this helps me not to plateau find what works for you and do that :)
  • paulaann67
    paulaann67 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat meal not all day once I have my weigh in for the week. This is usually something like pizza on a Saturday night.For me it keeps me on this during the week knowing I can have whatever I want for 1 meal!:smile:
  • littleblonde200
    Options
    I have a cheat meal and pudding,. on weight day i have a treat for me tea. i stay within calories and as the weeks go on my treats have changed as i no longer want the sweet things . I have made my weight day a saturday as that was the one day i would struggle not to cheat. So now i can. I am fine to be good during the week as i no i have this one meal.
  • Angiesolomon
    Angiesolomon Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Now I've reached my goal I let myself cheat, usually on Saturdays. I find any weight gained will disappear in 2 days once I go back to my regular routine. I very rarely cheated when I was losing weight but I didn't have much to lose so it was only three months of being strict!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Don't do it just because other people are doing it. Carry on as you are, and figure out what works for you. I prefer to work the food that I like into my daily diet so that I don't feel the need to "cheat" or binge at other times. I'm trying to make this a sustainable lifestyle, not just a temporary thing, so I don't like to feel deprived while I'm doing it. I also don't like to think of eating a bit more as "cheating" as it has such a negative connotation, and I'd rather get away from thinking about food & eating as "good" or "bad" or "naughty" etc.

There are some arguments for a physiological benefit from a higher calorie intake from time to time. I'd say if you're going to do it then still log the calorie intake - at least at first. If you go really over the top you could easily wipe out your week's deficit. If you only eat at your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) for that day though, or slightly over, you probably won't do any damage.
  • dreamin2bethin
    dreamin2bethin Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    bump =)
  • Shrinking_Moody
    Shrinking_Moody Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I no longer allow cheat days - but that's because I've been too free w/ them in the past. I do still eat whatever I want, just less of it - and if I really want something - then I work out harder to "earn" more food calories.
  • crazedcujo
    crazedcujo Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I totally do a cheat day one per week. It totally works for weight lose - of course I still enter EVERYTHING in my diary... and now I just do really a cheat meal - and not go over board. But in the beginning I did the whole day.
  • Stefanie7125
    Stefanie7125 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    i find for me, I am pretty strict M-F, and a lot more lenient on the weekends. It doesn't make me feel like I am on a "diet", I always fail at those. Don't get me wrong, I still try to make the best choices. if I do splurge, I don't go overboard. Perhaps my weight loss would have been more at this point if I had not done it this way, but then again, I may have gotten discouraged and given up. So it has worked for me and I won't change it. You'll find what works for you. Good luck!
  • sel254
    sel254 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I don't consider it cheating as I'm changing my life, not just dropping weight to put it back on as soon as I start eating "normally" again. I eat whatever I want on a daily basis but in smaller portions that I used to, and if I go over I make sure my workout for that day covers what I've eaten.
  • LA723
    LA723 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering if people take one cheat day a week where you don't count calories? Or are you pretty strict at it 7 days a week? I'm in my first week and fine but I hear so much about taking a cheat day so you don't binge. What you guys think?

I did one cheat day per week when I lost the bulk of my weight. I compared it to spending money. I don't always buy unnecessary things but it is ok to do it now and then. It worked for me and I understood that it was a one-day-per-week thing only.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    I havent had a whole cheat day yet.. just cheat meals. I'm losing fine.