How long should you wait to weigh yourself again?

Options
Is it bad to weigh yourself everyday? Should you wait a week or two weeks before the next weigh in?

Replies

• Terriberry
    Terriberry Posts: 100
    Options
    Once a week is fine. There are daily fluctuations that our bodies go through.
  • kaylovluvz
    kaylovluvz Posts: 32
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday. I was against the scale for a long time because I didn't like being disappointed but now I find it encouraging. I just think it depends on each persons own idea of it. I do however suggest doing it in the morning when you wake up.
  • skubi00
    skubi00 Posts: 18
    Options
    I agree! Weighing myself everyday, lets me see what I did wrong, what I did right and what foods my body likes. :)
  • Pimpmonkey
    Pimpmonkey Posts: 566
    Options
    Is it bad to weigh yourself everyday? Should you wait a week or two weeks before the next weigh in?
    I usually weigh-in once a week at the most. That way I don't worry myslef to death over water weight and a single bad day. Like for example: If I have a high sodium day, I won't weigh for at least 3 days after it.
  • Katychla
    Katychla Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I weight daily so I can chart different things. I expect it to fluxuate (I was a lb heavy out of nowhere the other day), but it gives me a better idea of what happens based on what I do -- ie salt intake, exercise, time of the month, etc. As long as the slope continues downwards, I'm happy.

...Also I may be a huge dork and like numbers and graphs a lot.
  • jenkidney
    jenkidney Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I weigh/measure every 2 weeks. Any more often, and I'll start to obsess over it.
  • Mna808
    Mna808 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I usually weigh myself every morning before I eat. :smile:
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options

I weigh every night & every morning. I measure every month. You can drive yourself crazy if you do it every day. Last week I lost a little every single day, so I'm trying to keep that up. I understand it can fluctuate though. I only record once a week.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    It's not BAD to weigh yourself every day, but you have to be prepared for normal fluctuations up and down.

Don't get stressed if it goes up a little one day and down the next, that's just the way our bodies work.
    If this is going to bother you, then you might prefer to weight in just once a week.

Which ever way you do it, short term changes don't mean much, it's the overall trend after a few months that really tells you a story.

And measuring yourself is great too -that often shows changes that don't register on the scale.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day because the scale does not get me frustrated or make me mad. In fact it pushes me and motivates me to keep going. I'm at a point now where I really don't care much about the number on the scale, I care but I'm comfortable in my own skin now and that was my first real victory. I still weigh every day, but that's because it keeps me pushing. I use my scale as a tool for motivation. If I did bad and the scale tells me, I re-examine what I did, for instants "Did I eat over my limit?" I recalculate my food, I look at my exercise and figure out if maybe I"m working out to much, I check my sodium, retaining water maybe? Figure out if TOM is on the way. The scale helps me and that's why I do it every day.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    whether or not it's bad, depends on how frustrated you get to seeing fluctuations.

sometimes i like weighing in daily because i like seeing the crazy fluctuations
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    First thing I do when I wake up (well 2nd thing, lol) on Saturday morning. Once a week is fine by me, I don't need to obsess over the daily fluctuations, which would most likely upset me.

I'm here for the long haul and from avoiding the scale for so many years, 52 times each year will be more than enough for me.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a week, and measure once every two weeks.
  • aoikirin
    aoikirin Posts: 143
    Options
    I think once a month is good for me. As it it is terrifies me. LOL I am doing it tomorrow :(
  • littleblonde200
    Options
    I weight daily. I waited a week once and i weighted and i lost nothing the next day i weighted and lost 5lb and the day after i had still lost the 5lb. So for whatever reason on that 1st day i was carrying extra water and had i off been weaker i would of given in. I do see fluctuations daily and only count my weightloss on a saturday. Last week i lost between 1/4lb and 1lb a day but this week i have gained small amounts and then lost them. i am in the process of working out my diet and like to see how things are working. I measure to and take pictures
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it can be helpful to weigh yourself throughout the day a few days in a row if you need help convincing yourself of the daily fluctuations that occur - no, you didn't gain five lbs over the course of the day, lol. Aside from that sort of thing however, I think once a week is enough.
  • pinkglitz
    pinkglitz Posts: 28
    Options
    I was wondering about this. I cannot resist the urge to weigh myself every morning first thing before I have eaten or drunk anything to get a 'true' idea of where I'm at. The only thing I worry about is getting a bit obsessive about it, I have already noticed these past few days that I am getting on them twice sometimes three times a day now.
  • dnceluv
    dnceluv Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Totally doing that! Every 2 weeks seems perfect!