Body Fat Test?

Options
Besides trainers, who will do a body fat percentage test thingy on me?

Id really like to know because the tests online seem way to general and I know I have some serious muscle going on under this skin. haha

/flex :)

Replies

• AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    If you can afford to spend $30.00, then buy yourself an Omron Handheld Body Fat Monitor. You can get it from Amazon.com or Academy. GNC sells the machine as well, but it costs more there.
  • BriaMc
    BriaMc Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Ya as AZackery said the Handheld ones are nice. I own the exact one she mentioned and haven't had any problems with it at all in the last 4+ years. Well worth the $35.
  • mhankosk
    mhankosk Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I got my scale at Target and it has a BF% monitor in it. I don't remember it being too expensive and it serves 2 purposes! :) (well 3 if you count that it is basically my cats favorite place to sit lol)
  • swthrtsmrf
    swthrtsmrf Posts: 384
    Options
    The fitbit scale will tell you that also. But I hear it is pricey.
  • tuskegee4
    tuskegee4 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Scale and handheld devices are unreliable. I would buy a pair of handheld calipers. Don't waste money on the electronic calipers either.
  • TiffanyWasmer
    TiffanyWasmer Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    If you can afford to spend $30.00, then buy yourself an Omron Handheld Body Fat Monitor. You can get it from Amazon.com or Academy. GNC sells the machine as well, but it costs more there.

I'm pretty much obsessed with mine right now! Especially since the scale isn't budging BUT my body fat numbers are going down which keeps me from laying out in traffic :bigsmile:
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I know somebody: YOU!
    Go here for free and do it yourself
    http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/diet.html

Seriously, I found this very helpful. Good Luck:flowerforyou:
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much! I feel like everyone is different so I think its important to see the whole picture -nsv's, measurements and body fat counts and not just the scale.

:wink:
  • shamr0ck
    shamr0ck Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    For about $100, you can have a DEXA scan. Most accurate body composition testing there is, ranked just as high as water displacement.
  • lauren3382
    lauren3382 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I had a hydrostatic body comp test done last week and it's the way to go if you can find it a place that offers it. Check out this website http://www.bodyfattest.com/ . They have mobile testing units in several major cities across the US. The test runs $45 here in Atlanta. It's supposedly the most accurate way to take your body fat. I'm starting Jamie Eason's LiveFit program on 7/1 and I had the test done for my body fat starting point and then I'll go back and have it tested again after the program is over. Certainly not as convenient as a handheld device, but if you are looking for accuracy, I'd highly recommend it!
  • TiffanyWasmer
    TiffanyWasmer Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    And to the OP, Congratulations on all of your hard work so far!! Amazing job! :happy:
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options

I just used this site, and it said I have 5% more BF than when I used manual calipers.
  • xxthoroughbred
    xxthoroughbred Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers has a scale that calculates it. I got mine at Bath & Body Works and I don't use Weight Watchers.

It's true that scales aren't the best way to tell, but this one has always been spot on for me.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Options

I just used this site, and it said I have 5% more BF than when I used manual calipers.
    I ALWAYS go with the low number..:bigsmile:
    Seriously, the number is not so much the issue but the consistency of the result.
    It's for tracking progress - nothing else.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Tracking is the key word. Yes the handhelds and scales that measure BF aren't that accurate for getting the proper number, but over time, you should see a trend and that's what's important.

Calipers aren't that accurate either when done on yourself, or by someone with limited experience, but again, it can provide a trend over time if done consistently.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options

Nice tool Bob!
    Thanx!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options

Seriously, the number is not so much the issue but the consistency of the result.

The problem is the HUGE variance in the numbers. The website I've used before, you enter in a bunch of measurements, weight, height, gender, and then it gives you like 4 different estimates. For me, they ranged from 25% to 45%. So basically completely useless.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Options

The problem is the HUGE variance in the numbers. The website I've used before, you enter in a bunch of measurements, weight, height, gender, and then it gives you like 4 different estimates. For me, they ranged from 25% to 45%. So basically completely useless.
    Find ONE you like, and just stick with it for tracking purposes.
    This one gives a solid result that is consistent.
    Simple.:bigsmile:

So, what did you find that worked for you?
  • KiltFuPanda
    KiltFuPanda Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    The number variance is due to not every body being of the same proportions - the neck/waist measurement is handy for most people, but some body types throw these numbers way off.

For example, I've got a "powerlifter belly" and therefore I have a large waistline. The online sites all had me pegged at 35% bodyfat for years, even though I have some moderate definition. Then I bought a set of skinfold calipers and got a proper measurement - 24%. It's easy to do the skinfold test, just practice for a little to make sure you get the same measurements (as a difference of 2-3 mm on each site can skew your results a bit.
  • crobl
    crobl Posts: 380
    Options
    From working with these different forms of tests for years ( I work as a Certified Athletic Trainer at a small college in Kentucky), I can tell you that the scales with percentages and random website calculations are fairly inaccurate. The 3 best forms of testing a via a bod pod, hydrostatic weighing, and by using manual calipers.

Bod pod is definitely my favorite - you sit in an egg shape capsule that uses air displacement. Although easy, it's an expensive piece of equipment and not everyone has access to one.

Hydrostatic weighing - for a long time this was the method of choice - basically you get dunked into a tank full of water and the water displacement is measured. There is room for error here however, as there is a technique for how to hold your breath that people aren't always successful with - also, not everyone has access to one.

Manual calipers - this is the method I use on my athletes in calculating BMI. The biggest problem with this method (in my opinion) is human error. This is a skill that requires patience and practice to do accurately. Thankfully, I've had experience here from years of working wrestling, and my margin of error is fairly low. Also, with this method you have to determine which equation to use and there are a variety that utilize caliper readings on different body locations, number of sites, etc...

Finally, to address the hand held devices, which is known as bioelectrical impedence. I think these suck..end of story. Yes, they're fairly inexpensive, and yes you can do it yourself...but I'm unimpressed with their accuracy. If you really want an accurate reading, have it done professionally and do it in the morning before you've eaten, it provides the most accurate results.