Water vs. Other Drinks

Options

Replies

• Leslie85
    Leslie85 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    What about Vitamin Water? I drink a lot of that stuff.
  • JustDeena
    JustDeena Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I quit all soda, mostly because I found that when I cut out all the sweet drinks, it was easier to resist sweet foods. I started with just drinking crystal light and flavored waters. What really helped me the most in getting my water in, I bought an awesome water bottle that I carry everywhere. It is by camalbak and does not leak a bit so I can even toss it in my purse. Seeing how much water I was drinking helped, but I also found that if I had that bottle I was much less likely to be tempted to stop for a fountain soda, or choose a soda from the vending machine when at school/work. Of course I also really enjoy food, so I would much rather eat my calories than drink them! :)
  • shellrocker12
    shellrocker12 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I had been struggling with drinking water as well. Bought myself 1 of those cups with a straw in it, it has done wonders for me!!! I'm a water drinkin fool now!!!
  • smor27
    smor27 Posts: 87
    Options
    Soda's have a ton of sodium. The added sugars whether artifical or regular tend to make me want more. Maybe that is all in my head but that is what it seems. So I tend to stay away from sodas for the most part. Water, like everyone says helps cleanse your body of toxins. It also fills you up so you don't eat as much. and nothing quenches your thirst like a glass of Ice cold water.
  • olymp1a
    olymp1a Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    There are days that I may drink 15 cups of plain water and other days that I struggle to drink 4. What I do during those days is:

Buy carbonated water (like Perrier). If I'm not in the mood for it's plain taste then I add a bit of fresh lemon juice and 1-2 stevia and tastes like Sprite!
    Drink herbal tea, lots of it, always organic. I make sure there is no actual tea in there or any ingredient that has cafeine since cafeine is diuretic and I drink 1-2 coffees per day anyway
    Sometimes whenever possible I buy flavored water. We have some water here made for children that has fruity taste but no sugar.

It all depends on the day and my mood. I make sure I do drink my 8 cups in some way though!
  • Krys_140
    Krys_140 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Even though diet soda doesn't have any calories, and is not terribly high in sodium, there are two good reasons for not counting it as "water".

Reason 1 has already been mentioned - caffeine is a diuretic. That means that its job is to RID your body of water. Kind of the opposite of why you drink water. There's a bit more info in this article about that: http://www.livestrong.com/article/520735-adverse-health-effects-of-carbonated-soda/

Reason 2 is that most carbonated sodas contain phosphoric acid, which has been linked to all kinds of health problems (tooth decay, bone deterioration, and kidney disease). Here's an article about that: http://www.livestrong.com/article/546049-what-are-the-dangers-of-acids-in-carbonated-drinks/

And, as a bonus reason to quit drinking quite so much of it: there are a number of studies linking the consumption of diet soda (yes, DIET) to weight gain. The researchers don't know precisely what the connection is, so I'm not linking to any articles on this.

In any case, I think it's great that you are building awareness of what you're drinking, and looking for ways to get more water in. Perhaps you could try replacing one soda each day with a glass of water? Even flavored water (MiO, Crystal Light, etc.) is better than soda, and would actually count as "water".

I never drank much water, either, until I bought a 24oz cup with a lid and straw at Walmart for less than $5. I've been getting in more than 8 cups daily. Amazing what a "special water cup" can do for consumption!!

Good luck to you in your journey!!
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    soda, diet or otherwise, has tons of sodium... which causes bloating and water retention, plus it's not the greatest for health reasons, like blood pressure, etc...

so, IMO, every once in a while it's okay, but all day every day?? not so much... water is the healthiest drink and i feel it should be the main drink. i used to be addicted to crystal light - yes, i said addicted, haha... anyway, i got off of the stuff a couple months ago and feel so much better since i've neen drinking just regular old water these days. i know it can get "boring", so throw a lemon or lime in there! and other things are okay, in moderation, like milk or juice or even soda, diet or otherwise... even beer! :drinker:

This is simply not true. Crystal light has between zero and 10 mg of sodium, Diet coke has only 40. In the grand scheme of things, that is extremely negligible.

Also, people keep saying that diet drinks dehydrate. Yes, there is caffiene, but the amount of water you ingest by simply consuming them negates any diuretic effects.

I understand that it's 'cool' to jump on the 'ONLY WATER' bandwagon, but we need to take care to not spread myth/misinformation in the process :)
  • Misslisat
    Misslisat Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    You're right, you are staying hydrated with these drinks. For hydration, it's absolutely fine to drink pop.

This is not true. If you are drinking pop/soda, and it contains caffeine - nevermind the fact it has artificial sweeteners - you are taking one step forward and two steps back. Caffeinated or alcoholic beverages increase the chance of dehydration, as they have diuretic effects on the body.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    You're right, you are staying hydrated with these drinks. For hydration, it's absolutely fine to drink pop.

This is not true. If you are drinking pop/soda, and it contains caffeine - nevermind the fact it has artificial sweeteners - you are taking one step forward and two steps back. Caffeinated or alcoholic beverages increase the chance of dehydration, as they have diuretic effects on the body.

Can you show us some research that backs up the claim that caffeine makes you dehydrated? These seem to suggest that this claim is unfounded:

http://ukpmc.ac.uk/abstract/MED/12187618
    http://ukpmc.ac.uk/abstract/MED/12834577
    http://www.jacn.org/content/19/5/591.short
  • Krys_140
    Krys_140 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Also, people keep saying that diet drinks dehydrate. Yes, there is caffiene, but the amount of water you ingest by simply consuming them negates any diuretic effects.

I understand that it's 'cool' to jump on the 'ONLY WATER' bandwagon, but we need to take care to not spread myth/misinformation in the process :)

I'm not advocating for only water. I love my morning coffee, and a Coke Zero with pizza is the only way to go for me. BUT, the OP stated that they're drinking a LOT of diet soda, and that level of consumption DOES have diuretic effects.

Here's a very brief article, that supports the coffee/soda/tea as water argument, but it ALSO says that if you're drinking the equivalent of 5-7 cups of coffee a day (which I assume the OP is), you are drinking enough to experience diuretic (dehydrating) effects. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeinated-drinks/AN01661
  • Jazziemay
    Jazziemay Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I try very hard to drink all my water. I have two cups of coffee every morning followed with a glass of water. Then I either drink unsweet tea when eating out or diet coke. At home it's splenda tea
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options

I'm not advocating for only water. I love my morning coffee, and a Coke Zero with pizza is the only way to go for me. BUT, the OP stated that they're drinking a LOT of diet soda, and that level of consumption DOES have diuretic effects.

Here's a very brief article, that supports the coffee/soda/tea as water argument, but it ALSO says that if you're drinking the equivalent of 5-7 cups of coffee a day (which I assume the OP is), you are drinking enough to experience diuretic (dehydrating) effects. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeinated-drinks/AN01661

Why are you assuming that? OP didn't mention drinking any coffee at all.
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    There have been many debates on MFP about water, soda and other sources to hydrate our bodies. I drink coffee. I drink diet soda. I drink water. In the end, the best way to know if you are hydrated is to check the color of your unrine. The darker it is, the more dehydrated you are.

It sure is possible that coffee and/or diet soda could have an affect on your weight loss ... or they could have no affect. Different people report different things, so the best solution is to dry different approaches and systematically determine what affects these kinds of drinks have on you (or don't have).

Peace! :)
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Drinking anything but water shouldn't count towards the water you've consumed. If that were true, then eating an orange or watermelon should count towards drinking water too!

Think about it: aside from a negligible amount of minerals, what is in water? Nothing! What is in tea, pop, coffee, etc etc etc? A lot of stuff! The biggest thing here is caffeine or sodium! Your body needs to use water to filter those out, so the water you take in while drinking these things will be used to filter the stuff out. If you drink water without anything in it, then it doesn't need to be used to filter anything out (from when you were drinking it) so it can do it's job.

Unless it's only water, it isn't water!

If anyone wants to argue this fact, read this article first!

http://ezinearticles.com/?Why-Fruit-Juice,-Sweetened-Water,-Tea-and-Coffee-Do-Not-Count-As-Water---And-Will-Make-You-Fat!&id=1049956
  • johnnys30
    johnnys30 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I don't think my results were typical in the past but I've lost as much as 15 lbs by just stopping to drink soda. Regular or diet. I've recently stopped and not had that type of result, but all in all they are empty calories. Even diet low or zero calorie drinks have the sugar, additives, etc.

I get bored with water and have tried various packs to add in but I'm really liking Mio now. Everything on the label claims to be 0's in terms of calories, etc. I'm not sure I'm convinced because they add too much taste to be true. I recently found a sweet tea flavor and it is awesome. I like straight water during workouts or right after, but the flavor is nice with meals or just as a drink watching tv.
  • sue65ny
    sue65ny Posts: 1
    Options
    It has been found per Dr. Oz that diet or sugar free anything with artificial sweetners make you crave more and more sweets as these sweetners are sweeter than real sugar making you crave more. There is alot about this on the internet. If you need the fiz I believe he said seltzer water. You can go on his site to learn more.
    I hatted water also and dont like soda anymore so I decided to try lemon. Worked for me. I wasnt going to go out buying fake stuff to add to my pure water, just didnt make sense. Thats just me. I only drink water w/lemon when I go out as well. My body doesnt crave anything else to drink because its just used to it now. Ive even lowere my coffee to every other day and only 4oz at that. Keeps the headaches at bay and still enjoy a warm drink that sometimes just hits the spot.
  • Spiggytope
    Spiggytope Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I cut out all hot drinks over four months ago and just drink water from a cooling machine at work / a juice for breakfast and a cold milk before bed time. I can safely say I don't miss any of the "stuff" I used to chuck down me, including alcohol, and my concentration / energy levels / stamina all appear to have sharpened up.

That is just me though, so just my opinion that drinking water in copious amounts influences well being and fitness.
  • gregs887
    gregs887 Posts: 13
    Options
    I didn't read the thread so this may have been mentioned, but caffeine is a diuretic which will actually lead to dehydration.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't drink so much of that stuff...the sweeteners alone are not good. I love Diet Coke, don't get me wrong, but I stick to the one a day limit. As for the other times, I drink 80% water mixed with 20% crystal light lemonade. Yes CL has sweeteners too, but you are getting barely any if you water it down, just to get a taste. I find that I drink a lot more water this way.
  • aaronf289
    aaronf289 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    All I drink is water.....gave up drinking pop after I saw how many empty calories I was drinking....rather eat my calories than drink them....