Feeling Nauseous Before/During Breakfast?

Options
Morning all!

So ever since I was in Middle School I've had a hard time eating breakfast. It was worse when I was in my teens, but the issue still plagues me every now and then. When younger, I could NOT eat breakfast. My mom tried to force me, but the simple thought of eating something as basic as plain toast sent my stomach rolling in the morning. I usually couldn't consider food until after about 10:00 am.

Now it's not so bad; it happens every once-in-a-while. This morning it happened again: half way through my eggs and I gotta take a break from eating or I'm going to hurl. I know, I know, sounds like I'm pregnant. Promise I'm not, especially since this has been happening for something like 12 years.

So, does this happen to anyone else? Does anyone have any idea why it happens? I've always been told by 'people' that breakfast is important to losing weight, but if I can't stomach it, well, what then?

Replies

• mjsunshine16
    mjsunshine16 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Have you tried drinking carnation instant breakfast? Some food smells in the morning turn my stomach as well.
  • MalSponseller
    MalSponseller Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Have you tried drinking carnation instant breakfast? Some food smells in the morning turn my stomach as well.

Hm, interesting thought.

No I haven't tried any instant breakfast actually. But, I couldn't finish my second egg this morning so I tossed it. Immediately felt better. I wonder if it is the smell? I'll have to experiment with this...

-puts on Sherlock Holmes hat-
  • alltacht
    alltacht Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I used to always be the same way in school. One of the reasons I think was that I was eating quite late the nights before. When you get up for breakfast you're breaking a fast so if it hasnt really been a fast maybe youre just not hungry. I actually much prefer now to not eat after around 8,30 or 9pm and that way Im hungry in the morning.
    You've tried foods other than eggs? What way are you preparing it? I wouldn't be able for a fried egg in the morning but my usual brekkie is a poached egg. Try some yogurt with berries or some oats with milk? They might be easier on your tummy.
    I have a friend who had the same problem. She tried everything and eventually got tested for allergies and discovered she was wheat intolerant which was messing up with her digestive system. She also had candida which can have those kind of symptoms and tiredness, allergies etc. But yeah Id just try mixing up your breakfast ideas and not eating too late if you already are. Worked for me at least :D

Just editing to say the whole needing breakfast to lose weight thing is not a scientifically fact. Plenty of people dont eat breakfast or eat late and lose weight just fine. For a lot of people its just the structure of breakfast that helps with weight loss. Or it can help prevent hunger at times when you're more likely to make poor food choices. But I wouldnt worry about it for your weight loss if youre still getting the right cals and nutrition x
  • MalSponseller
    Options
    I used to always be the same way in school. One of the reasons I think was that I was eating quite late the nights before. When you get up for breakfast you're breaking a fast so if it hasnt really been a fast maybe youre just not hungry. I actually much prefer now to not eat after around 8,30 or 9pm and that way Im hungry in the morning.
    You've tried foods other than eggs? What way are you preparing it? I wouldn't be able for a fried egg in the morning but my usual brekkie is a poached egg. Try some yogurt with berries or some oats with milk? They might be easier on your tummy.
    I have a friend who had the same problem. She tried everything and eventually got tested for allergies and discovered she was wheat intolerant which was messing up with her digestive system. She also had candida which can have those kind of symptoms and tiredness, allergies etc. But yeah Id just try mixing up your breakfast ideas and not eating too late if you already are. Worked for me at least :D

Oh yes, it's much more than eggs. Cereal, toast, poptarts, whatever, I couldn't eat for breakfast, especially when younger. I think it might have legitimately been the eggs this morning for some reason, but I'm usually fine with eating them; had them yesterday in fact! And they were just scrambled.

The crazy thing is, when I get this way (nauseous when I want to eat breakfast) it's not that I'm not hungry, I'd say 95% of the time I'm absolutely starving! And it's incredibly frustrating that I can't get myself to eat when I'm that hungry, lol.
  • alltacht
    Options
    Are you fine then to eat a bit later? Your body clearly isn't impressed by breakfasts! There isn't any harm in waiting until 10am or 11am to eat though if that suits you better?
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    I don't eat breakfast. The idea of putting anything solid into my stomach before 9 AM nauseates me. But, yeah, if I don't have the luxury of waiting, Carnation Instant Breakfast is my back-up plan. :)
  • MalSponseller
    Options
    Are you fine then to eat a bit later? Your body clearly isn't impressed by breakfasts! There isn't any harm in waiting until 10am or 11am to eat though if that suits you better?

Yeah, I think that may have to be what I do. I was just never sure if this was a healthy option. The whole 'breakfast is the most important meal of the day' coupled with an ex-boyfriend's father (who was a nurse) pushed the idea that if you don't eat within 30 minutes of waking up your chance at jump-starting your metabolism for the day has been blown, has kinda put me in the position of thinking I really need to eat breakfast. But, I'm thinking, now, that as long as I eat when I'm not feeling nauseous I should be fine.
  • spikefoot
    spikefoot Posts: 419
    Options
    Morning all!

So ever since I was in Middle School I've had a hard time eating breakfast. It was worse when I was in my teens, but the issue still plagues me every now and then. When younger, I could NOT eat breakfast. My mom tried to force me, but the simple thought of eating something as basic as plain toast sent my stomach rolling in the morning. I usually couldn't consider food until after about 10:00 am.

Now it's not so bad; it happens every once-in-a-while. This morning it happened again: half way through my eggs and I gotta take a break from eating or I'm going to hurl. I know, I know, sounds like I'm pregnant. Promise I'm not, especially since this has been happening for something like 12 years.

So, does this happen to anyone else? Does anyone have any idea why it happens? I've always been told by 'people' that breakfast is important to losing weight, but if I can't stomach it, well, what then?

This is the story of my life. I have suffered from this since I was 10 and I am now 34 and just have started being able to eat breakfast. I also used to throw up a lot in the morning too.

1. A big factor is stress and anxiety etc... sometimes we don't realize how much something may stress us out and it makes us feel nauseous. So you have to change your perspective there.

2. Get a good nights sleep and don't sleep in. Seriously just do this. Establish a solid sleeping schedule, this allows your body to get back on a normal schedule and it is way easier to eat. Don't doubt yourself here, I used to be so bad that I would wake up at 7 and have to turn on the TV to figure out if it was AM or PM. I used to sleep in to 3:30 as well. So needless to say I have experience in this area. Even if it involves shutting down a little sooner, staying off the computer and forcing yourself to get up every day. You will feel a lot better. I am assuming you don't sleep the greatest here though ;)

3. Exercise daily, even if it is a 30 minute walk. Make sure to move every day

4. Make healthy food choices and have a solid eating schedule that works for you. One that leaves you satisfied and doesn't put you in severe hunger often. Also, one that allows you to feel energized, I have recently noticed that when I am lower on protein I am way more sluggish.

5. Consider smoothies in the morning. Even if small, sometimes it is easier to drink your breakfast. Even a small glass of a protein/meal replacement. Don't feel like you have to finish it everyday at first but get used to waking up and eating. Never be too busy or rushed. Also, try a small bowl of oatmeal or even cream of wheat if you can handle it. Just take a few bites.

6. Bring a healthy mid morning snack with you and eat it as soon as you are hungry. IF you are just the type that cannot eat a large breakfast then consider your mid morning snack as your breakfast.

Good luck and funny enough, I stopped eating eggs in grade 5 cause the grossed me out.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat breakfast if you don't want to. Not eating it won't affect your weight-loss (make sure you get enough to eat the rest of the day though!) Also, your metabolism doesn't need a "jump start", it's ticking away all the time.
  • alltacht
    Options
    Seriously it's fine to eat a bit later, especially if your body is telling you thats what it wants. If its really a problem for you maybe get your bloods checked to see if its some kind of allergy or intolerance causing it. Also if you look up on the boards or online about breakfast and metabolism, there are no facts really supporting the whole kick-starting metabolism thing. Or at least it's a very minimal effect but Im no expert. There are lots of people on MFP who practice intermittent fasting etc with great results. Maybe you could have a look at that group for more info on the metabolism issue.
    Don't worry about it. Eat your breakfast when you feel like it and good luck with your weight loss :)
  • mayerel
    mayerel Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I often don't eat breakfast...still losing weight. I never understood why we should force ourselves to eat when we're not hungry...isn't that how a lot of us got here in the first place?? Make sure you're eating enough calories throughout the day and you'll be fine!
  • susansmoaks
    susansmoaks Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I wait to eat breakfast because if I eat right away I will overeat throughout the day.
  • thinnerthaniam
    thinnerthaniam Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need easy to digest foods in the morning. Fruit is better to eat in the morning. Eggs are best for later on. I love eating eggs, but half way through eating them...I get that feeling of yuk/nausea and can't take another bite! You might want to try a banana Nut smoothie using Almond Milk...not soy! It's so delicious that your tummy will look forward to breakfast. I don't drink cow's milk because it gives me sinus problems, plus Almond milk has way more calcium and other vital nutrients than cow's milk.....better for kids too!
  • MalSponseller
    Options
    This is the story of my life. I have suffered from this since I was 10 and I am now 34 and just have started being able to eat breakfast. I also used to throw up a lot in the morning too.

1. A big factor is stress and anxiety etc... sometimes we don't realize how much something may stress us out and it makes us feel nauseous. So you have to change your perspective there.

2. Get a good nights sleep and don't sleep in. Seriously just do this. Establish a solid sleeping schedule, this allows your body to get back on a normal schedule and it is way easier to eat. Don't doubt yourself here, I used to be so bad that I would wake up at 7 and have to turn on the TV to figure out if it was AM or PM. I used to sleep in to 3:30 as well. So needless to say I have experience in this area. Even if it involves shutting down a little sooner, staying off the computer and forcing yourself to get up every day. You will feel a lot better. I am assuming you don't sleep the greatest here though ;)

3. Exercise daily, even if it is a 30 minute walk. Make sure to move every day

4. Make healthy food choices and have a solid eating schedule that works for you. One that leaves you satisfied and doesn't put you in severe hunger often. Also, one that allows you to feel energized, I have recently noticed that when I am lower on protein I am way more sluggish.

5. Consider smoothies in the morning. Even if small, sometimes it is easier to drink your breakfast. Even a small glass of a protein/meal replacement. Don't feel like you have to finish it everyday at first but get used to waking up and eating. Never be too busy or rushed. Also, try a small bowl of oatmeal or even cream of wheat if you can handle it. Just take a few bites.

6. Bring a healthy mid morning snack with you and eat it as soon as you are hungry. IF you are just the type that cannot eat a large breakfast then consider your mid morning snack as your breakfast.

Good luck and funny enough, I stopped eating eggs in grade 5 cause the grossed me out.

Thank you for this! Some of the suggestions made are a little difficult for me due to my job, but with some focus and determination I should be able to do all suggested. I'm horrible at sleeping in; I used to be able to sleep 12 to 15 hours a night and still be sleepy. I've gotten better recently, as my job seems to like to schedule me for the opening shift, so I'm up around 7:00 am for that, and on days that I'm off or am going in later, I'm usually up no later than 9. Better, but not the type of schedule I have actually wanted to get on in a while.

I'm really grateful for all the advice! I'm thinking it may be best for my tummy if I wait a little longer to eat and perhaps focus on liquid-type breakfast meals, the carnation instant breakfast was mentioned as well as smoothies. Plus, I've been needing a reason to get rid of the frozen fruits I've had in my freezer forEVER.
  • zela
    zela Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I used to feel this way myself and force feed myself breakfast until I educated myself on the subject. It's actually not very natural as humans to eat breakfast at all. That breakfast is the most important meal of the day is a myth and probably pushed upon us by people that make a profit of those eating breakfast. You are better off skipping breakfast and eating later in the day, it will make for less and bigger meals which will help with sanity on weight loss as well. Focus more on getting in the proper amount of cals, macros, and nutriets to keep yourself healthy. I could go on preaching of the ins and outs but you are better off to google it and convince yourself.