Is it just me or....

Options
2»

Replies

• plafleur76
    plafleur76 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I had always heard this will happen, well a couple weeks ago I was out running errands with my kid and it was lunch time, as a treat I got her taco bell, OMG, I felt ill afterwards. I now understand what others have said about feeling run down and just not right after eating fast food after eating healthy. I won't be making that mistake again anytime soon. It was kind of a NSV for me to reach that point in my health.
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Have any of you found that when you switch over to clean, home prepared healthier meals your body has a MUCH harder time handling restaurant food? Almost without fail, when I eat at a restaurant (even if it's borderline healthy like a meal soup) my stomach feels sick and I can't handle it and often have gastrointestinal problems!
    Anyone the same as me?

Never fails... atleast it cleans me out though lol! Once it hit me so bad I had to take an immodium, which did the opposite affect and I was bloated and ahem "plugged" for 3 days (don't take immodium).
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I tend to find this to be more the case with big chain restaurants. They have things pre-made at a corporate location to ensure unity in taste from restaurant to restaurant and that results in tons and tons of preservatives. I never, ever order chicken at a chain restaurant. That rubber crap is the nastiest stuff on the face of the planet!
  • alltacht
    alltacht Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I made cheesecake brownies for my nieces party the other day and I had a big piece and the headache I had was unbelieveable. I think its because I dont eat sugar anymore except for some fruit. When I was making the brownies I was like... this recipe must be wrong how can there be so much sugar in these!!!
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Yep, and it really doesn't matter if it's fast food that I've eaten or at a fancy restaurant. My stomach is pretty sensitive to begin with, so changing my diet or eating something that I don't normally eat throws me off. I think a lot of the problem has to do with the richness of restaurant foods. Good restaurants use better products, but they use lots of heavy cream, real butter, sugar, etc., but that's why it tastes so yummy... And why my stomach goes "what?!" All of that excess fat in a meal will do a number on anyone's stomach, especially if they're not used to it.
  • brewface811
    brewface811 Posts: 106
    Options
    Yep I know what you mean. I don't even eat clean, just healthier than I used to and I get sick everytime I go out to eat.
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Yep, I hate eating out now. At home I eat a lot of fruits and veggies, and everything is pretty light. Nothing heavy, or sugary, or fried.
    We went on a roadtrip last week and we ate out for 5 days, I got so sick. I have terrible IBS symptoms, and even though I didn't eat anything that was a "trigger", I still got sick just because everything was so heavy. Pancakes, and muffins, and hashbrowns, and thick peices of bread. Things I really don't eat much of at home.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    I find that any consistent diet change does that to me. I've pretty much cut out desserts, and now the idea of eating something that high in sugar is kind of gross. But I've also had the same issue in switching from lunch as the main meal of the day to dinner, even with overall nutrition being the same.
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Most "clean eaters" don't combine enough fat in meals...fat stimulates bile to help digest food. Eating carbohydrate and protein heavy foods mostly is pretty hard to digest.

I can always smell who had a massive bowl of egg whites for breakfast
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Most "clean eaters" don't combine enough fat in meals...fat stimulates bile to help digest food. Eating carbohydrate and protein heavy foods mostly is pretty hard to digest.

I can always smell who had a massive bowl of egg whites for breakfast

In my experience, this is true. When I stopped worrying about my fat intake and let fat calories edge out some of my carbs and protein, my digestive issues (bloating and regularity) vanished. I think it's a balance between fiber, water, and fat.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. It's the abundance of sodium that I'm not used to and it consistently makes my stomach bloated and painful. I avoid going out to eat as much as possible!
  • Dwillig
    Dwillig Posts: 18
    Options
    Chinese food is THE WORST!