need some ideas to get my calories up and fat grams down

Options
2»

Replies

• johnscat1981
    johnscat1981 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I think the OP is saying he is switching to a low fat diet. If that is the case then add carbs. I know that sound simple however your “diet” or your “mind set of diet” has revolved around fat.

Add fruits, starchy vegetables, bread and pasta those things that your brain has turned off as good foods are what you need to fill in your calories. Also you my need to rethink your fats, adding one of these carbs could be a better choice rather than an oil based salad dressing to fill in your calories. As far as alfredo goes it is one of those foods my brain has put in the not good for me column.

I am not an expert just a fellow journeyer so take it as you would like.
  • rock4433
    rock4433 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    What about Protein shakes, good way to get calories up, keep fat and carbs low and get extra protein?

I eat target 1600 cals a day and 36g of fat, I then try my best to keep carbs and protein balanced (possibly 45%/35% split)

If you need ideas have a look at my diary. Although I eat 5-6 times a day, not everyone's cup of tea but certainly works for me

I wish I could do the 5 times a day thing!! Has worked wonders for dad!! but I truely do not have the time at work to pull that off....a protien shake for breakfast may be just what the doctor ordered! That would definately boost my calories without me feeling like Im over endulging at meal times by adding more fillers to my dishes to hit calories. I truely am full after eating my meals, even if Im only at 840 calories for the day lol any suggestions as to the best tasting ones for me to try?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    My question would be why are you worried about fat? Fat doesn't make you fat and even a reasonable amount of saturated fat is essential for health. I'd you are going low carb, I would not be trying to hit a low fat target.
  • rock4433
    Options
    Trying to go away from a low carb diet so I have more choices for my meals :wink:
  • jemachharo
    jemachharo Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I limit starches - my body just feels better. I stick with lean protein - chicken, turkey, fish, TONS of veggies and fruits (this is where I get my carbs). I avoid prepared/processed foods as much as possible (can control fat and sodium intake that way). I usually prepare more than I need for dinner and take left overs for lunch. Any of the meats are great in a salad the next day. If I do eat a starch, I try to make sure it is whole grains or a sweet potato.

Good luck.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

But is this low carb diet working for the OP? Since he uses this diet "every time" to lose weight, that suggests that he isn't able to maintain it long term.

My suggestion would be to slowly reintroduce more carbs that also contain fiber and/or protein (vegetables, fruit, minimally processed whole grains)

Low carb works for me, just have those milestones that are hard to break....havent been on the low carb diet since 2005. gained back 20 of the pounds in the last 2 years mostly due (in my mind) to lots of snacking at work lol so after I got back over 200 decided to go back to it. Just looking for more variety than the carb diet offers and hoping for results. But really struggling to fill up my calories for the day as Im dropping the fat grams. I just started trying this this week, and Im running into bumps in the road making out my meals for the week cuz I havent ever been on a low fat diet that has worked for me before. Years ago I tried it and a calorie based diet after and I lost very little on both of those, was always hungry and always miserable. Looking for a good balance, but seems that Im hitting the fat gram total way before the calorie total....I can get the fat grams down with my dressing and sauce choices, but then Im WAY below my calorie total...thats what I am struggling with :)

I understand. I'm always over on fat too. I don't really worry too much about it since it's mostly from nuts and olive oil, but lately I've been thinking that I probably should watch it more closely. Fat is just so tasty though!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Don't drink the mfpkoolaid. If something works for u..why change it. I say stick with what u are doing and if u know u hit small plateaus ride it out like u normally would.

But is this low carb diet working for the OP? Since he uses this diet "every time" to lose weight, that suggests that he isn't able to maintain it long term.

My suggestion would be to slowly reintroduce more carbs that also contain fiber and/or protein (vegetables, fruit, minimally processed whole grains)

This is not an uncommon story for those that practice low carb dieting. Happened to me too! I went low carb, lost about 15 lbs but within a year I was right back to where I started. It's not really a sustainable practice for most people ling term. Over time and yo yoing, I have opted for more traditional balanced nutrition with a priority on protein for muscle rebuilding on my workout plan. It's slower but more sustainable for me.
  • Savvay
    Savvay Posts: 4
    Options
    Sometimes I have some beef jerky as a snack that helps sneak a few extra calories into my day and one serving is only like a gram of fat a few carbs and usually around 80 calories. But it is high in sodium so you gotta watch that.
  • MsMargie1116
    MsMargie1116 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Maybe incorporate some juices? Though I'm no advocate to "Drinking" your meals, maybe do a couple of smoothies between your meals? That'll add the calories without the extra fat...
  • rock4433
    Options
    Sometimes I have some beef jerky as a snack that helps sneak a few extra calories into my day and one serving is only like a gram of fat a few carbs and usually around 80 calories. But it is high in sodium so you gotta watch that.

I do enjoy me some beef jerky!! Thanks!!
  • rock4433
    Options
    Maybe incorporate some juices? Though I'm no advocate to "Drinking" your meals, maybe do a couple of smoothies between your meals? That'll add the calories without the extra fat...

Thats another good idea!!! I usuallyonly drink water when Im home, but adding juices to the mix would help with the calories as well! thanks!!
  • srpm
    srpm Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    You said you don't have time at work for small meals, what about snacks like banana's or granola bars? If you could throw a banana or healthy cereal bar in mid-morning or mid-afternoon that would give you an extra 200-500 calories depending on the brand of bar and the fat in them is usually at least the "healthy" kind.
  • rock4433
    Options
    You said you don't have time at work for small meals, what about snacks like banana's or granola bars? If you could throw a banana or healthy cereal bar in mid-morning or mid-afternoon that would give you an extra 200-500 calories depending on the brand of bar and the fat in them is usually at least the "healthy" kind.

Granola bar would be something I might be able to sneak in to the day :wink: Good thought!! these are the kind of ideas I was looking for that could give me a boost with little to no fat grams....besides my all time favorite gummy bears that have no nutritional value lol