I don't think weight has anything to do with attractiveness

Options
124»

Replies

• bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    While I agree that weight alone isn't a factor in how likeable a person you are, a lot of overweight people suffer from lower self-esteem because of their weight. This shows in how they carry themselves, how they interact with other people, and how they choose to dress and groom - all of which contribute to a person's attractiveness. As the weight of a person with low self-esteem drops, their confidence rises, and the way they present themselves to the world changes. This confidence, I believe, is what makes the person come across as more attractive by positively influencing their demeanor.
  • SmallMimi
    SmallMimi Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: thank you, This is one time where "I" has to come first.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Topic: I don't think weight has anything to do with attractiveness

99.9% of the rest of planet earth does.
    That's reality.
    I am not taking shots or trying to be unkind. Let's keep it real folks.
    We're not on MFP for fat acceptance but fat loss.
    Keep Punching :drinker:
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    Now that I'm in better shape, and 100lbs lighter, I pick up tons more girls without even doing anything.

Show them a lean, tanned body and they're practically feeding me grapes and fanning me with palm fronds.

:laugh:

Would you like another grape?
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Tell that to the guys on dating sites ;-)
  • benne1992
    benne1992 Posts: 16
    Options
    I started this journey in January, but have been a part of MyFitnessPal for a couple years. I didn't have much weight to loose but this site has helped me make healthy changes in my life and in turn I have gained a whole new appreciaton for myself and my body. My husband loves me, at 135 pounds or 125 pounds, but I love me healthy. It wasn't about the weight, it was about the energy I have gained since I have changed my diet. Keep up with your journey and you will fall in love with yourself, that's the best quality you posses! Best of luck to everyone.
  • paendrag
    paendrag Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    While I agree that weight alone isn't a factor in how likeable a person you are, a lot of overweight people suffer from lower self-esteem because of their weight. This shows in how they carry themselves, how they interact with other people, and how they choose to dress and groom - all of which contribute to a person's attractiveness. As the weight of a person with low self-esteem drops, their confidence rises, and the way they present themselves to the world changes. This confidence, I believe, is what makes the person come across as more attractive by positively influencing their demeanor.

Agreed.
  • spikefoot
    spikefoot Posts: 419
    Options
    What you said is true and I appreciate the non judgmental vibe of it..... but happiness and self acceptance is a collection of a bunch of factors including how you look and are treated by others. It is simply human nature.
  • SASSYJAX
    SASSYJAX Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I agree with that statement up to a point, but being sexually attracted to someone (which is what we are talking about right?!) is about fancying someone, and thats a personal thing.

It has to be said though that the perception of over weight people is that they are lazy and that they dont care about themselves. Self indulgent and greedy, let alone the health issues...it is what it is. Obesity comes to us all at some point for lots of different reasons. We have the power to change ourselves and the reasons for our weight gain. Medical reasons are a whole different matter - but it doesnt change peoples initial perception of you.

Thats what society says to me about obesity. Society cares that I appear to be in control of myself.

Two people for a job, both smart and equally qualified, one fit and one fat...the fit guy wins as he looks more in control....?!

But when I lost 66lbs and went from a UK size 22 to a UK12 I was shocked at how jealous and resentful people were of my change in my appearance and they seemed almost afraid of my motivation and strength. Its weird and I found it quite disconcerting and upsetting how many people knocked me for it.

We have to do this for ourselves and our health, and to simply live the best life we can. Its all personal choice.

anyway theres my input!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I agree with the spirit of your post, but I'm not sure I 100% agree with the content. I think some people do become more attractive when they lose weight. If the extra weight is causing low self esteem or self loathing, and losing the weight makes the person love themselves, then they will likely become more attractive to others as well.

But the flipside is also true. If losing the weight makes the person become conceited and arrogant, then they could become less attractive than when they were heavier.

Having a personality and a body that shows that you care about yourself generally does make one more attractive, unless you care only about yourself. Then you are only attractive until you open your mouth.
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    This is something everyone needs to hear. Thanks for sharing it. I know it has helped me take a step back to make sure it's for the right reasons.
  • SarBear00b
    SarBear00b Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • paendrag
    paendrag Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have always heard people say that weight has nothing to do with attractiveness and I tried to believe that. Even when I was at a healthier weight, I was attracted to a wide array of body types. However, since I have put on the weight, I have been rejected repeatedly because of my size. I've heard women openly make statements about someones weight not mattering to them, but those same women don't even give an overweight guy a chance.

I understand that your attitude, personality, self-confidence, and how you dress has a lot to do with it, but I never had problems attracting women when I was younger and healthier. So, when the only thing about you that has changed (other than age) is your weight, it becomes kind of obvious why your getting rejected. And no matter how high your confidence level is, it will take a serious beating from being rejected repeatedly.

This, is why I have been single for just over 9 years... This, has been one of the driving motivators for my desire to loose the weight.