Why does being fat= lazy?

Options
jenbk2
jenbk2 Posts: 623 Member
I hate when people say because you are fat you are lazy. I work over 45 hours a week. Take care of 2 boys and my husband, clean the house, do laundry , dishes. I am up at 6 and go to bed around 10:30. I don't even get 8 hours of sleep.

It is such an assumption. I just make bad food choices- sometimes just for convience.

Replies

• chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I hate when people say because you are fat you are lazy. I work over 45 hours a week. Take care of 2 boys and my husband, clean the house, do laundry , dishes. I am up at 6 and go to bed around 10:30. I don't even get 8 hours of sleep.

It is such an assumption. I just make bad food choices- sometimes just for convience.

I guess it's that last sentence where the laziness is - you're clearly putting in effort elsewhere but being 'lazy' with food choices.
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options

I guess it's that last sentence where the laziness is - you're clearly putting in effort elsewhere but being 'lazy' with food choices.

agree with this, when I'm lazy in the food/exercise dept it shows.....so they might not mean you're lazy in the fact that you sit on the couch and shove food down your throat but that instead of cooking a nice meal you're lazy anf grab fast food (not saying u do this)
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    People assume it, because our bodies are the one area of life where we have the most control.
    When we fail at this, people wonder what is wrong with us. Are we too undisciplined to control our eating and too lazy to exercise?
    Answer for yourself; I know I was!
  • EyeLikeTacos
    EyeLikeTacos Posts: 324 Member
    Options

la·zy   /ˈleɪzi/ Show Spelled [ley-zee] Show IPA adjective, la·zi·er, la·zi·est, verb, la·zied, la·zy·ing.
    adjective
    1. averse or disinclined to work, activity, or exertion; indolent.
    2. causing idleness or indolence: a hot, lazy afternoon.
    3. slow-moving; sluggish: a lazy stream.
    4. (of a livestock brand) placed on its side instead of upright

Well unless that person has a health related issue....someone who is fat and follows under #1 of that definition...WELL then they are Lazy.
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    I don't know where you are on your 'journey' here but I can tell you I used this same line for years. It kept me comfortable AND fat.
    Truth is, I was working and barely sleeping and i was chasing after 3 kids and yada yada. What I wasn't doing was taking care if myself. I wasn't moving my body in the way it is required to move to be healthy. I was lazy.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i know for me, people couldnt understand that even though i was active and did stuff like capoeira 4 days a week and did road races, went hiking, canoeing, etc that i was obese. some people (at an old job) would even remark how fast i walked :laugh: unfortunately although i wasnt lazy by any means, i was a LARGE eater.

i think that also confused some people because they were expecting someone like me to always be on a diet or eating some bird food
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    I would not say fat = lazy. I would say fat = full of excuses though. 78% of American's are not meeting basic activity level recommendations. 25% of those are completely sedentary. Factors such as a person's environment, metabolism, eating disorders and certain medical conditions also may contribute to their obesity. But the overwhelming majority of people who are overweight, obese or morbidly obese always have some excuse why they can't eat well and exercise.

Don't give me the fast food is cheap bull$#!t either. Eating all that garbage and processed food will cost you tens--if not hundreds--of thousands of dollars in preventable medical costs. 60 minutes a day. Is that so hard to do? Park further away from your office and add a minute or two to your walk. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. Go for a walk after dinner. Jump rope during commercial breaks. A little here and there quickly adds to an hour of activity a day.

Everybody take note, I was just serious in the "Chit-chat, fun, and games" forum. Does it bother anybody else of the improper use of a comma in the forum title?
  • dirtbikegirl5
    dirtbikegirl5 Posts: 391 Member
    Options

So, you make bad food choices. Make better ones.
    Besides, who gives a rats a** what people say about you. Let them deal with their thoughts and don't make them yours. Accept the support and prove people wrong!
  • emisu2
    emisu2 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    People who are fat are not lazy. However they can get tired because their fat cells do not want to give up the goods due to the hyperinsulinemia caused by insulin resistance. Elevated insulin levels in your bloodstream make you store fat and not give it up. Carbohydrates drive insulin, insulin drives fat storage. Cut the carbs and you'll be better off. Insulin resistance can happen to anyone who does not keep their carbs below 60 grams per day. A person has almost no hope of avoiding insulin resistance if they are eating the Standard American Diet, especially people who are genetically prone to it like me. I keep my carbs very low and stay in ketosis most of the time. That way my insulin stays low and my fat cells give up the goods. I am not lean because I'm active, I'm active because I'm lean. You should read Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes. It will change your life. Thank you.
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I'm in your boat! I had a child and worked with gourmet food for a while, so my food choices weren't ideal... but in no way am I lazy. I am up at 5:15am every morning to hit the gym for a minimum of an hour, come home, cook breakfast, shower, get my son and I dressed for work so we can be out the door by 8:15am to drop him off at day care and get to work by 8:45. I work full time M-F and have a toddler. I tend to the house and do ALL the cleaning and laundry and get to bed by 11pm.

My husband is fat BECAUSE he is lazy. When he gets home from work, he parks his butt on the computer and doesn't move unless he needs to use the bathroom until he goes to bed. Ocassionally there is a variance in the evenings, not this is fairly common. He also chooses to eat fast food for lunch almost each day of the week.

So really, this phrase can be applied, but not always!
  • markpmc
    markpmc Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you'd prefer --> poorly discipled eating habits/choices ? That pretty much described me until 18 months ago.
    Nothing in the weight loss/fitness world happens by itself. Discipline and effort are REQUIRED.

Good luck on your goals.
  • emisu2
    emisu2 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I would not say fat = lazy. I would say fat = full of excuses though. 78% of American's are not meeting basic activity level recommendations. 25% of those are completely sedentary. Factors such as a person's environment, metabolism, eating disorders and certain medical conditions also may contribute to their obesity. But the overwhelming majority of people who are overweight, obese or morbidly obese always have some excuse why they can't eat well and exercise. Don't give me the fast food is cheap bull$#!t either. Eating all that garbage and processed food will cost you tens--if not hundreds--of thousands of dollars in preventable medical costs.

Everybody take note, I was just serious in the "Chit-chat, fun, and games" forum. Does it bother anybody else of the improper use of a comma in the forum title?

Actually, read Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes... Physical activity doesn't really do much but make you hungrier than you already are when you're on a semi-starvation diet. This book will change your perspective of fat people. Thanks.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

A lot of people are lazy with food choices but blessed with high metabolisms. No one calls them lazy.

People assume if you're fat that you just sit around watching TV and eating junk, which is a stereotype and rarely the case, but it's where the saying comes from.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I agree. There are many factors as to why a person is overweight. Sometimes, it is because a person is lazy. Sometimes it's medical. Sometimes its emotional. Sometimes it's a lack of knowledge with health or being lazy with their willpower (overeating, craving).

Who knows how someone got to be the weight they are. I know how I got to be the weight I am and that's because of my restaurant habits! A few times a week will do ya.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    People assume it, because our bodies are the one area of life where we have the most control.
    When we fail at this, people wonder what is wrong with us. Are we too undisciplined to control our eating and too lazy to exercise?
    Answer for yourself; I know I was!

That describes me right now. I'm making a salad and cutting up veggies every day to eat while at work. OMG it is such a pain in the *kitten*! I really don't want to, and if I weren't doing an allergy diet, I wouldn't bother. I would just find something quick and frozen to eat. What does that do? Make me fat, because processed, frozen food is almost always high in calories/fat/other garbage that makes it harder to digest.

Regarding exercise? My only exercise if walking to and from work (30 min to, 1+ hour back, including grocery store). I need to get off my *kitten* and sort out my schedule to make space for working out (I sleep 8 hours/night on week days and 9 hours on weekends, I also work 9+ hours/day). I also need to put in the time to get a journal ready for it. Then I have to do it! Procrastinating with the food makes it hard for me to get around to planing out my workouts, so they don't happen.

Me getting fit is a real WIP. I know more than I need to about how to get fit and stay fit, my willpower is what really needs work.
  • deborahmills22
    deborahmills22 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter what other people think. It only matters what you think and that you take care of you.
  • letsgetskinny88
    Options
    it is a misconception. definitely not true. in a lot of cases.
  • ManX_84
    ManX_84 Posts: 5
    Options
    I think what's been said already holds a lot of weight. Fat = Lazy. It just doesn't equal it in every area of your life. It's easy to see why anyone would think it really. I mean, just because someone works doesn't mean they're not a lazy person just as someone who doesn't work doesn't make them lazy. I don't have a 'job' but yet I workout every day, eat well, hang out with friends every chance I get, play basketball... anyone who knows me would not see me as lazy, but as soon as a stranger heard "he doesn't have a job,' the word would probably creep into their mind. I think that Fat does equal lazy but only in that aspect of your life, which is taking care of yourself. The thing here though is that taking care of your self is not just physical, but emotional, intellectual, financial, relational/social and even spiritual (w/e that means to you). Whether someone works is only a small part of the whole and it's the whole that people see and we see in ourselves. If we're not taking care of ourselves in the majority of those 6 areas, then lazy just seems to make sense as a way to generalize and label it. Another issue is that if any of these are just a little neglected, they'll leak over into the other areas and before you know it, you're in trouble and "don't know why." Many people have a hard time cutting through their own bullsh*t and being brutally honest with themselves... Until an individual can do that consistently, they will struggle with different areas of their lives as often as the sun sets.
  • hollyNhollywood
    hollyNhollywood Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I think I get what you are saying. But maybe 'lazy' is not the right word. At least in my issue. It is assumed if you are overweight, you are not ACTIVE. I am very active, and was even before really putting in this effort to lose weight/get healthier.

I live across the street from a waterfront park. I have a hybrid bike that I ride all along the waterfront/downtown (usually doing about 10 mile rides). I ride it for fun, fitness, and the occassional grocery store run. I also have a Trikke and ride that (full body workout-about 7 miles). I walk down to the dogpark with my dog almost daily (about a mile walk) and often walk along the waterfront with my dog on his 'potty breaks' two more times during the day.
    On weekends, I also walk thru/to downtown. And I would take yoga classes.
    (I also just bought roller skates, and I really want to get into stand up paddle boarding and kayaking).
    And now that I am trying to lose weight, I have incorporated a daily exercise DVD program (and make sure I am doing cardio at least 6 days a week)

But it is assumed because I'm overweight, I am not 'being active'. When in truth, I can be more active than a thin person.

Of course I was clearly not doing ENOUGH, and not making the smartest food choices/proper serving size, to have me lose weight from it. (As I am otherwise sedentary, as I work very long, odd hours from home)
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Fat does equal lazy.
    Lazy in one area or another.
    Laziness doesn't only equal not moving around and working.
    Laziness is a state of mind....not specifically a lack of movement.