What's your take on CARBS??

Options
What's your take on CARBS?? - I'm thinking I need to try something to shake up my metabolism! I love pasta/breads but I just can't get over the hump! I'm STUCK at 150-148lbs.... :sad:

I'm thinking about trying to cut back on carbs - been reading some articles.....

Thoughts?

Replies

• Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Carbs are fine as long as you eat the right kind, of which in my experience bread and pasta just aren't those kinds.

If you get your carbs from vegtables and fruits, cut out grains and processed carbs + sugar I'm betting you'd be able to get over that hump.

You'll get a lot of varying views here though, there's a die hard set of people that bash on anything that remotely resembles low carb LOL.
  • tyoung8
    tyoung8 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I love Low carb! Only way I will lose weight!
  • DeniseB0711
    DeniseB0711 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Carbs are great for indivuals who need them, that is not overweight or needs them for endurance. I dont' think we all neeed to eat 4 servings of white bread, pasta, and corn every day. Unless you are some sort of athlete that trains all the time. I do think we need some whole grain and again not a lot.

Denise
  • sophia5_k
    sophia5_k Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Lowering my carbs is the only thing that works for me and I've tried everything. So maybe you should give it a try and see how it goes for you.
  • kitka82
    kitka82 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not bad. They are a great source of energy and fiber. Instead of nixing carbs, get rid of the sugar and focus on COMPLEX carbs like whole grain breads and pastas, if you have to have them. Just use moderation. Honestly, if you reduced the amount of bread and pasta you eat, you would reduce sodium pretty quickly. Try brown rice, sweet potatoes, squash, black beans, oatmeal, and quinoa. Eat fruits and veggies. Eat your carbs with protein to metabolize better.

I changed the time I eat my carbs to get results. I have starchy (non-veggies) carbs during my first 1-3 meals (I eat 5-6x a day). Basically, no starch after lunch. In the afternoon and evening, I focus on lean protein, veggies, and healthy fats.

I eat more starches on days when I do my strength training and long runs. On days I don't work out, I don't have as much starch.

When you lower your carbs, it helps to add in some healthy fat to stay full. Hope this helps!
  • Tara_Janel
    Tara_Janel Posts: 48
    Options
    I cannot remember where but I read that females need to stick between 100 and 150 carbs a day to loose weight. I attempt to keep mine around 100. I can not eat wheat though so that cuts out a ton of carbs for me.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    My take is that people who have insulin related conditions should probably consume low-ish carb intake.
    My take is that people who do not have these conditions, usually do not need to do a low-carb plan.

Lastly, I do think protein and fat are physiologically of higher importance, but there's nothing magical about low-carb dieting.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    A carbohydrate is an organic compound that consists only of carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen, usually with a hydrogen:oxygen atom ratio of 2:1 (as in water); in other words, with the empirical formula Cm(H2O)n. (Some exceptions exist; for example, deoxyribose, a component of DNA, has the empirical formula C5H10O4.) Carbohydrates are not technically hydrates of carbon. Structurally it is more accurate to view them as polyhydroxy aldehydes and ketones.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Carbs are yummy. They give me energy.
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I love carbs. But they don't love me back. And I'm not sure if it actually has anything to do with the carbs themselves, or the fact that the more carbs I eat, the less fat and protein I eat. And fat and protein make me feel way better than carbs do.

I try to keep my carbs on the low side when I can, but I'm not super strict about it. I do try to make sure the majority of my carbs are from fruits and vegetables instead of grains and refined sugar, but otherwise, I mostly try to focus on keeping my protein and fat up rather than keeping my carbs low.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Your diary is closed.....How much of each macro do you eat per day? total calories? What are your TDEE/BMR?
  • amberaz
    amberaz Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    For me, it seems like the closet my carb rich foods are to their natural state, the better off I am. The bulk of my carbs come from fruit, and whole grains that have not been processed into another product. I think that of you try to aim for getting your carbs from natural sources instead of highly processed "junk" food there's not a reason to severely limit them.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    As long as I get 100g of protein, I don't really care how high my carbs are. I use them for energy and I genuinely feel happier and better when I don't restrict them.
  • DeniseB0711
    DeniseB0711 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    A carbohydrate is an organic compound that consists only of carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen, usually with a hydrogen:oxygen atom ratio of 2:1 (as in water); in other words, with the empirical formula Cm(H2O)n. (Some exceptions exist; for example, deoxyribose, a component of DNA, has the empirical formula C5H10O4.) Carbohydrates are not technically hydrates of carbon. Structurally it is more accurate to view them as polyhydroxy aldehydes and ketones.

hahahahha.
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    All carbs are not created equal.
    Some people think they are.
    Carbs found in veggies, fruit and whole grains are good for you.
    You need a balanced diet, not eating the good carbs is just as bad as only eating the "bad" ones.

(By bad, I mean; processed junk food, white bread, refined sugar, white rice...etc)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    All carbs are not created equal.
    Some people think they are.
    Carbs found in veggies, fruit and whole grains are good for you.
    You need a balanced diet, not eating the good carbs is just as bad as only eating the "bad" ones.

(By bad, I mean; processed junk food, white bread, refined sugar, white rice...etc)

And what do these bad carbs do to you? Metabolically how is refined sugar different from sugars found in fruits?
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Love carbs. I eat mostly whole grains though for pasta and bread. I don't restrict and don't get mad when I go 'over'. I usually eat 175-225 a day, and I've lost 80lbs. :)
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Love them!!
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    I think changing up your diet could help, but you don't have to restrict your carb intake to do that... just eat more of a variety of foods, up your calories for a while or lower them for a while. Zig-zag your days, eating high one day, normal the next, or give yourself one spike day a week where you eat like 1000-1500 calories over your normal goal. I think personally you'd be better off doing that and possibly changing up your workout routine as well - don't make things more complicated, just make them more interesting. :bigsmile:
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Delicious.