REWARDS?

Options
I told myself when I began MFP about 1 month ago that I would reward myself with some wonderful favorite food when I got to the 10pds lost point...I am at 8 pounds so that 10 pd point is approaching. Just curious if this is a good idea or not? Does anyone reward themselves and if so..with food? is that too dangerous?

Replies

• stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Don%27t+reward+yourself+with+food+logo.png
  • lhughes404
    lhughes404 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Yup, I get to go to pizza hut when I get to 180lbs.
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I do not reward myself with food...
    I tend to reward myself with things like new shoes or jewelry or a movie or something like that.
  • SelkieDiver
    SelkieDiver Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I know they always say to make your rewards non-food related, but mine usually ARE food related. Something I've really been wanting or missing. Just a little bit and I try to find the lowest calorie version of whatever it is. Or going out to a restaurant or out for drinks with friends.
  • lhughes404
    lhughes404 Posts: 42 Member
    Options

Most dogs I know are smarter than most people that i know and better well behaved. Maybe we should be learn from them.
  • vampy25
    vampy25 Posts: 30
    Options
    Be it be food or clothes or watever u desire.. LOL.. but deffantly reward ureself. Atm I ave a treat like every 2 weeks. and it is food for me.
  • spikefoot
    spikefoot Posts: 419
    Options
    Rewards are good if they sustain you for the long run. Only you know if you can handle it. I hate to sound cliche but my reward is seeing my goal met.

I have set a reward for myself when I hit 155. Originally it was a beer and icecream party lol.... But it will probably just end up being a meal that I wouldn't normally eat and some shopping for clothes. 10 lbs is a bit early in the game but if you worked hard then do it.

Don't let people suggest you'd be a dog otherwise. We are human we like food and should really enjoy it in moderation or on special occasions.
  • dotti1121
    dotti1121 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    When I lose the next 20 pounds, I am going to get a new cute haircut.

Then the after I lose the LAST 20 pounds, I will get a new tattoo!

For me, rewarding myself with food is DANGEROUS. :sad:
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options

If you cut out all of your favorite foods to lose weight, how will you ever keep it off without eating some food you love? Just make it fit in your calorie limit and eat it then. When I started I told myself I would reward myself after I hit 170lbs and now i am 157 and still never have. when I want to eat something I eat it, I might just do a little extra cardio that day to even things out.
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I guess I disagree with rewarding myself for doing what I should have been doing in the first place. I will have to buy new clothes yes, but that isn't usually rewarding for me, just costly :-) Aren't we rewarding ourselves with health and possibly the ability to do things we weren't able to do at heavier weights??
  • 17ChargerGirl17
    Options
    I prefer to reward myself with new clothes.
    It is wonderful to be able to go into any store and buy a blouse in the regular section now!!!
    It also keeps me very motivated.
  • secondchance82
    Options
    My reward is good health.
  • sofakingawesome69
    Options
    But really, how many fat dogs are there??
  • SmallMimi
    SmallMimi Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Nope, no food here. Took a ZipLine tour with my family! Prior to losing weight I was approaching the top end of the weight restriction for this activity. This was a reward not only for me but, for my family also. I really missed doing alot of things with them when I was too heavy.

Ziptour.jpg
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,012 Member
    Options
    I would suggest eating some things that you love if you can fit them into your calories for the day....ex if i go out for pizza I have 1 or 2 pieces and then i cut back in other areas eating a light lunch to make it fit into my cals for the day. But for rewards I have bought myself a pair of earrings for every 10 lbs lost. If you cut out everything you love food wise you will not stick to it for life but calling it a reward and going overboard I think can backfire, but everyone is different if you can handle it go ahead , just my 2 cents. Oh wait that was more then 2.LOL
  • bailyc
    bailyc Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I reward myself with gifts! At ten pounds I bought myself a new pair of running shoes and at twenty pounds I plan to get a new pair of Toms that i have been eyeing. They are a tangible reminder of how far I have come and all the hard work I have done. If I am craving something I plan for it and have a sensible portion regardless of where I am in my weightless. But for me, eating even one bad meal can be a slippery slope. Good luck and congrats on your progress.
  • OTchic
    OTchic Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    for a reward i wouldnt do food because i still eat what i want to eat for example i had a in n out double double cheeseburger as it was within my calories and then i worked out too. i also go to summer parties and have a slice of cake or a cookie so when i lose weight i don't reward myself with food. in fact i dont reward myself at all i just get happy to be down another pound and THAT is actually my reward i worked out ate healthy 80/20 and my reward was weight loss!
  • scott1646
    scott1646 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I would say food would be a no for a reward, since it's one of the reason why I'm currently on a diet.

Ever since I became over 300lbs, which has been for the past 3 years, I've always sported a goatee. Ever since the weight gain I grew it out and now I have a full beard. My reward will be when I hit under 300lbs, is to trim it back to a goatee.

Lol, it's probably the lamest reward ever but it's a start.

My second reward will be clothes for sure.
  • kitigonkukoo
    kitigonkukoo Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Even though it seems like a nice thing to do, don't use food as a reward. As your body goes without something, it tends to "forget", and the cravings go away. If you indulge in something you haven't eaten in a long time (and you haven't eaten it because it's off your meal plan), just don't do it.

Why not a weekend get away, or a staycation somewhere close by if you can't get away for a couple days? If you've lost some inches then why not a new dress, or shirt or something that shows off the change? That way, your reward lasts a lot longer.

:)
  • luvhandles74
    luvhandles74 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I try not to reward with food, afterall those little bites are what got me where I am ;) HOWEVER I will sometimes have a guilt free glass of wine if I have moved enough throughout the day :D

I say reward with something you can keep! So you can remind yourself how great you look and how well you have done!