How to put down that last cigarette!

Options

Replies

• _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey after years of lying to myself that I would. My mother asked me to stop for years and years. Even when she was dying of cancer and begging me to stop I yes’d her and still smoked. The week following her passing I just stopped. Couldn't do it anymore. I just stopped without even thinking about it. I was so consumed in grief that even the habit grabbing a cig after of waking up, eating, leaving the office, breaks, all meals, everything. I had no joy in anything so it wasn't an issue.

Don't wait for something like that to happen...just do it for you! :flowerforyou:
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Can you perhaps smoke a ton so it becomes repulsive? That always seems to work with some types of alcohol? Just a thought from an ignorant non smoker. :)

*lights another* Nah that doesn't work so much...

Good luck to you!

With this dude, it doesn't work. At one point I was smoking 2 packs a day. Thats pretty much a cig after another anytime I'm not sleeping and not eating/drinking
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    http://www.provape.com <-- had a ProVari for a year. You CAN quit with an e-cigarette. Best e-cig on the market, in my opinion. No USB charging BS. You will still want a real cig because of all the other chemicals (other than nicotine) in them, but it gets you through.

I stopped for 3 months, then stupidly started up again. Looking forward to quitting cigs again in July. It's not easy, but you won't believe how much easier it is to exercise without all that crap in your lungs. And... you'll start to taste and smell again (sometimes that last part sucks a little, ha)

Best of luck.
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I smoked for about 25 years since I was 15. I knew how bad it was for me and just kept telling myself how much I enjoyed it and that I would never be able to quit anyway do I never even tried to quit.

What changed? My wife quit 8 months ago which was an inspiration, I am in my 40's and overweight so I figure if I want to make it to 50 I should probably quit, the money I wasted on it was getting painful. Imagine, paying thoussands of dollars to die a slow and painful cancerous death. How idiotic is that?

Anyway, here is how I quit 59 days ago:
    -Stopped lying to myself about how I liked to smoke.
    -Decided that I will be damned if I am gonna let cigarettes rule me, what would that say about the kind of person I am?
    -Started eating better and losing weight before my quit date so I didn't end up at 300 lbs.
    -Set a quit date and time that coincided with a good time to let go of it.
    -Loaded up on sugar free gum and hard candy to get me through
    -Fought the urges the first few weeks by exercising, drinking water, chewing the hell out of some gum, and telling myself over and over that I can never ever do it again. Not even once for any reason. EVER!!!

So far so good. I feel better, sleep better, digest better, breath better, feel more verile, can go up dozens of flights of stair without passing out, have lost 35 lbs, plan to live into my 80's, started running, realized I am awesome and so am I!!!

I hope you can do it. You will be glad you did.
  • sarahsaur
    sarahsaur Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I smoked for about 8 years, from 15 to 23. I quit four years ago, when my mom caught pneumonia and was hospitalized for a week. During that week, it was discovered that she had COPD. Seeing her lay in that hospital bed, barely able to breathe really woke me up. I did the patch for about a week, but it made me crazy, so I stopped using it. I haven't smoked since. My mom used Chantix to quit. And I'm telling you, seeing her struggle every day...seeing her hooked up to oxygen and having to take breathing treatments...seeing her have five different inhalers that she has to use. I will NEVER smoke a cigarette again. It's just not worth it.
  • XxOMG_ITS_PINKxX
    Options
    I would LOVE to quit but I'm terrified of being miserable! :sad:

But, I'm getting more and more sick of it everyday!
  • danabrash
    danabrash Posts: 67
    Options
    I quit cold turkey at 11:53AM on 12/30/2011. but who's counting...

I've been smoking since I was 8 years old (I was 41 when I quit), and I'd quit multiple times before. Wellbutrin, the patch, gum, lozenges, etc. nothing took. Any type of 'aid' ended up being a crutch for me, and a constant reminder that what I really wanted was a cigarette. So going cold turkey cut me off from that completely.

What got me through was just a constant reminder that the craving would pass. Any time it'd come up, I'd remind myself that I want to be a non-smoker, that the craving will pass, a little Buddah breathing, then an affirmation that I'm honoring my body and my health.

I also used some freeware time trackers so I could count the seconds that I'd been quit as motivation.

AND.... (I think this is what made the difference for me this time)... GO RUN UPHILL! nothing like a mile uphill to remind you why you're quitting. :)

Best of luck!

12/30/2011: 20/day => 06/09/2012: 26.2m
    BE A QUITTER!!!
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I smokes a pack a day for 20 years. I finally quit on 123109 at 1030 PM. I sat down and chain smoked until I was ready to throw up. I quit cold turkey and I was a *kitten* to live with for about a week. You can do it! Good luck!!!
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    One other thing I did was to set up a bank account and every week that I don't smoke I put the $50 in the account that I would have wasted on an early death. In two years before my son starts high school we will be going on an extravagant fishing trip to Canada with all the money I saved.
  • amivox
    amivox Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I quit by just quitting. A woman at my job died when she was just 42 because she got pneumonia and since she was a chronic smoker, she wasn't able to recover from it. It scared the hell out of me and really influenced my decision to quit. My grandpa died of lung cancer, and my dad and aunt both have emphysema. With all that in my head, I was able to quit by just stopping cold turkey.
  • bobie1978
    bobie1978 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I started to get sick from smoking. When I was stressed I would smoke 2 packs a day. I quit smoking and went on the patch... then I got stressed and the doc said I could smoke up to 5 cigs with the patch. I did and got sick. Now, its been 8 months and I am smoke free :) You just have to be ready. I could have gone back but the urge to quit has to override your smoking. I miss it, I can't lie but it is the best choice health wise!
  • jolinemariem
    jolinemariem Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    when i quit almost 3 years ago ..i went down to smoking 2 or 3 for a couple of months so that when i actually quit i wasnt missing so much nicotine. it seemed to work for me..hopefully it will help you
  • Minner_Tinner
    Options
    My husband and I have been smoking since we were children. I smoke for 17 years and my husband for about 11 or 12. My husband and I finally decided to quit because we A. Don't smoke in our home with our children, B. Don't smoke in our vehicle with our children, C. Were total hypocrites telling our children not to smoke while puffing away on a death stick. We were just confusing the hell out of our 10, 8, and 6 year old children. The breaking point? When our kids took D.A.R.E in school then came home and proceeded to tell us that we were on "Drugs" because we smoked. That really hit hard.

My husband knew that he needed help to quit smoking and had our PCP prescribe him CHANTIX and he says it's his little miracle pill. He quit within a week which is amazing because he was a chain smoking who truly Enjoyed his cigarettes. He'd take a pull off one like a thirsty man in a desert taking his first drink of water.

I had quit two years earlier cold turkey because of severe vomiting and migraines. About 15 months in I started back up because my husband still smoked and it reeled me back in. But April 1 of this year we banded together and quit as a couple and for good. We are so happy to say that we are a smoke free family and our children are so proud of us.

Don't get discouraged. Quitting cigarettes is harder than quitting heroin. It's going to take a couple tries but don't be afraid to ask for help. My husband used the help lines, had the coaches call him, and took his medicine like clock work. If my husband can quit ANYONE can!!

Good Luck and GOD BLESS!!!
  • jolinemariem
    jolinemariem Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I started to get sick from smoking. When I was stressed I would smoke 2 packs a day. I quit smoking and went on the patch... then I got stressed and the doc said I could smoke up to 5 cigs with the patch. I did and got sick. Now, its been 8 months and I am smoke free :) You just have to be ready. I could have gone back but the urge to quit has to override your smoking. I miss it, I can't lie but it is the best choice health wise!

even after 3 years i still feel like i want one :( i just remember why i quit in the first place)
  • XxOMG_ITS_PINKxX
    Options

even after 3 years i still feel like i want one :( i just remember why i quit in the first place)

See!!! That's scary as hell.
  • wisegirl_k
    wisegirl_k Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I can't tell you what will work for you, I'll just tell you what I'm going through. I too was having a hard time putting down that last cigarette. I'd been "quitting" for a while too. But really you just have to make the commitment and STICK TO IT. I had a nearly full pack of cigs that one morning I just crumbled up and threw away. I've been cigarette free for 2 weeks now (I know it's not long) but my cravings are going away and when I do get them it's easier to overcome them. The hardest is when I am drinking. But while we are on our fitness/weight loss journey we are doing MUCH less of that too.
    So a few tips:
    -try your hardest to keep yourself out of situations that would typically include cigs.... like drinking.... or even hanging around a bunch of smokers.
    -tell people that you are quitting so they are less likely to ask you to smoke with them or offer you one, and hopefully will be encouraging.
    -stick to your guns. Just like your weight loss decision, make a commitment and stick to it.

The first week is the hardest. Get through that and you are good. GOOD LUCK!!

Edit- Not to mention, that I suddenly started having breathing problems at night, wheezing, went to the doctors and he gave me an inhaler prescription. I've NEVER been asthmatic or anything, that was obviously a result of smoking for so long.
  • unsound
    unsound Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey too (on July 21, 1996) after smoking a pack a day for about eight years (and many attempts at quitting). I found acupuncture really helped with the cravings, surprisingly.

Also, I found that I had to change the way I thought about smoking. To me, this was the key. Every time I tried to quit, there would always come a time when I would think to myself, "Okay, you've quit, you're not hooked any more, you could have just one." Well, we all know how that turns out. I would have just one, and then I'd be back to a pack a day within twenty-four hours. So I decided that instead of telling myself I wouldn't smoke, I would tell myself that I could never even think about smoking. Every time I started to think that it might be okay to have a cigarette, I would remind myself that thinking about smoking was taboo. This actually worked, believe it or not. It's funny because I usually have a much harder time than that controlling my own thoughts, but in this case it was effective.
  • stcar
    stcar Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Can you perhaps smoke a ton so it becomes repulsive? That always seems to work with some types of alcohol? Just a thought from an ignorant non smoker. :)
    this worked for my mom....she smoked 3 packs an evening, for three evenings in a row while at bingo lol (on purpose) and hasn't smoked for over 10 years since that time!
  • aunt_hbomb
    aunt_hbomb Posts: 204
    Options
    I'm one of those casual smokers who is trying to quit. I've tried the Chantix but it made me sick to my stomache. My mom quit about 12 years ago after 40 years of smoking but now has lung cancer. She used to smoke 2 packs a day where the most I think I ever smoked was one pack in a day and that was due to drinking. I did good last week and didn't smoke Mon, Tues or Wed, but Thurs on the way home from work I cracked and bought a pack. I smoked it over the weekend and saved the last one for Monday night after work. I can only imagine the same thing will happen this weekend, but I am not going to quit "quitting". Good luck to everyone trying to quit. Congrats to those who have quit. You won't quit because someone else wants you to quit, it has to be your decision and your will power that gets you through the tough times.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

5 years for me and I still want one. But like you, I remember why I quit along with realizing my triggers that want me to go back to smoking (stress mainly) and then I remember that smoking won't help me with stress and I try to deviate to something else