Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

driving as an exercise?

I saw someone posted they burned so may calories by driving. does this sound crazy to anyone else? if so then I should be logging it because I drive 2 hours a day!

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Your initial reaction is usually the right one - this is crazy! All this person is doing is setting themselves up for failure. Things like sitting upright, the occassional short walk to the bathroom and driving are already factored into being sedentary.
  • GFab
    GFab Posts: 75
    what if you dancewhile driving? i think that should count....i put my all into it =) lol that is crazy....
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Driving, like at the driving range, maybe?
  • madelonism
    madelonism Posts: 292 Member
    was it a flintstones car?
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Oh hell.
    Do these people eat those "calories they burn."
  • twistofcain
    twistofcain Posts: 190
    Does waking up in the morning count as exercise? I put a huge effort into turning off the alarm several times before actually getting up.
  • Ohhh, it's SUPER hard pushing the gas with my big toe. Don't even get me started on having to lift my foot to use the brakes. WHEW! lmao this topic just made my day
  • losermomof3
    losermomof3 Posts: 386 Member
    My husband is a truck driver...behind the wheel for about 10 hours of the day...and he is SKINNY!!!! Sooo...maybe????
  • Ayirela
    Ayirela Posts: 204 Member

LMAO I almost spit my coffee out when I read this LOL
  • Does waking up in the morning count as exercise? I put a huge effort into turning off the alarm several times before actually getting up.

Ahaha LOVE IT! I throw my alarm. I think mines a workout :P
  • HotCuppaJo
    HotCuppaJo Posts: 476 Member
    what if you dancewhile driving? i think that should count....i put my all into it =) lol that is crazy....

Lol...love this response!
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Can I start counting my blinking :huh: They say the average person blinks more than 15,000 times a day....
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member

That was my first thought too. I might log it if I were driving a Flinstone's car.
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Maybe if you're an Ice Road Trucker. I bet the stress/freak out/cuss fest/rampage I'd have driving around LA would burn some cals though. So, I don't know! If you spend the 2 hours you drive on the verge of vehicular homicide then, maybe!
  • missashley884
    missashley884 Posts: 188 Member
    My husband is a truck driver...behind the wheel for about 10 hours of the day...and he is SKINNY!!!! Sooo...maybe????

no! how is it logical to think you BURN calories, SITTING on your *kitten*?
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • KNarrainen
    KNarrainen Posts: 135 Member
    I'm pretty sure I've burned quite a few calories reading this thread.
  • WILSONBA
    WILSONBA Posts: 197
    Ohhh, it's SUPER hard pushing the gas with my big toe. Don't even get me started on having to lift my foot to use the brakes. WHEW! lmao this topic just made my day

driving with your big toe reminds me of spongebob.
  • AliciaNorris81
    AliciaNorris81 Posts: 185 Member
    The only time I log anything that seems "normal routine" is if it is out of my routine and I break a sweat doing it! Also, I have to do it for more than 20 minutes and only log 20% of the time. Am I making any sense or rambling? LOL

For example, I logged cleaning yesterday...but I scrubbed the bottom of the pool and cleaned it out for HOURS, but I only logged a fraction of it.

I can see logging it if you were driving an manual transmission 18 wheeler through town and constantly having to shift. THAT is a workout. :laugh:
  • lt3ag4s
    lt3ag4s Posts: 835 Member
    Now I am never going to personally count it as exercise, but I do a lot of PC simulated auto racing. The fact that I am racing alone increases my heart rate. Muscle groups in the arms and lower legs are obviously used a lot. I would dare say that I am burning more calories that I would sitting watching TV.