Is it just me...?

Options
Is it just me or does anyone else have a mental break down when they go clothes shopping and find something super cute and try it on and realize you look like a whale?! Ugh :(

Replies

• betteringmyselfeachday
    Options
    That is why I love shopping for purses, shoes, lipgloss, etc!

Hang in there.. once you get closer to the end of your journey you will love shopping!
  • BigMomma742
    BigMomma742 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Definitely not just you!!! :( I wish I could help you out with that, but I definitely have the same problem (90 pounds to lose :( and HUNGRY). Best of luck to you (us)!
  • jessrbt
    jessrbt Posts: 8
    Options
    The best motivation I have found when shopping is to buy clothes that fit and flatter my figure, which right now means plus size clothes. I dont think we should put off feeling good about our selves and deprive ourselves of a good outfit that makes you feel good. My biggest surprise in losing weight is the day I put on that outfit and its too big. It s a positive all the way around. I also discovered buying my closthes from plus size stores makes a big difference in how they fit. I never ever but clothes at wal mart, k mart or target because they are not really made for my figure and therefore will be a big let down. We dont have to wait to lose the weight to feel good about ourselves, do something good for you now and go shopping, in another month or so you will see a difference, feel beautiful! Good luck!
  • Lcharlottec
    Options
    Nope. That's the story of my life.
  • joy5877
    joy5877 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Love this - best advice!

The best motivation I have found when shopping is to buy clothes that fit and flatter my figure, which right now means plus size clothes. I dont think we should put off feeling good about our selves and deprive ourselves of a good outfit that makes you feel good. My biggest surprise in losing weight is the day I put on that outfit and its too big. It s a positive all the way around. I also discovered buying my closthes from plus size stores makes a big difference in how they fit. I never ever but clothes at wal mart, k mart or target because they are not really made for my figure and therefore will be a big let down. We dont have to wait to lose the weight to feel good about ourselves, do something good for you now and go shopping, in another month or so you will see a difference, feel beautiful! Good luck!
    [/quote]
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    What I've made myself to do is sit down, do some thinking (and research) and find which style and fit of clothes fit me the best. Before, I'd pick up any old thing and try it on. Now I know which shapes flatter me and which DO NOT flatter me. I think if you can avoid picking up unflattering shapes to begin with you'll have more success in finding stuff (or at least avoid feeling as bad).
  • beverlyhilyard
    beverlyhilyard Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of us women out there that have the same problem. But take one day at a time and look your best for that day. No matter your size you can still be beautiful. Wear nice clothes, make-up, jewelry and be beautiful in the inside.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    It's not you; I looked like a beached manatee...:bigsmile:
    Seriously, even guys feel you here.
    Just keep punching, because I bought what did not fit and used it as motivation.
    Guess what?
    After losing 70 lbs, it fits, so I went out and bough other clothes I would like to wear one day, and this time next year?
    I WILL:drinker:
    Try it. And good luck.

All Is Possible
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    Every. Single. Time.
  • WineIsGoodForYou
    Options
    I think a lot of it also has to do with the cut of the clothing lines nowadays. I'm sorry but even at my smallest I have hips, butt, and thighs. Clothing seems to be cut for 14 year old girls who have not developed curves yet and are built like sticks straight up and down. Don't get distracted, maybe try finding the cut that looks good on your shape? :wink:
  • Krushchev
    Krushchev Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Even when you're at your goal weight, if you're picking clothes that don't flatter your shape you're going to be disappointed. The key is to go in & try on EVERYTHING you like-- no matter how you think it will look on. Sure, you will have some "OMGWTF?!?!?!!" moments, but you'll also have some "OMGWTFSRSLYYAY!!" moments.

Also, I'm not sure if its an all-over thing, but my Target is now doing the "Fit your shape" thing-- pink tags for big hips, yellow for straight, idk. There's like 6 or 7 different fits.
  • Jelaine56
    Jelaine56 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I think I feel smaller than I am.. So when I try on clothes it's very depressing :(
  • jessrbt
    jessrbt Posts: 8
    Options
    thanks, I believe all women are beautiful in their own way, happiness is not a clothing size, its the person's tude wearing the clothes. We can do this ladies, set small goals, and wake up each day feeling good about who you are!
  • Dayna154
    Dayna154 Posts: 910 Member
    Options

^^^^This is the best advice I have read in a while. If they dont fit well no matter how BIG or SMALL you are it can make you feel like you look like a whale.. Play up your assets and down your problem areas. Also the sooner you accept yourself for how you are the sooner you will feel good about the changes you will make and will stay better motivated to keep going when you hit the hard spots in getting thinner and healthier..
    Dont give up.. If you cant afford new then look for second hand...

Also do you think its cute casue it is or cause it was small?? Perspective is a lot
  • valorieflowers
    Options
    Me too! Clothes shopping is mentally traumatizing for me. And I am sick of that, one of my big motivations is for clothing shopping ot be pleasant instead of shameful.
  • Renae_Nae
    Renae_Nae Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I LOVE shopping with my sister because she can pick stuff out that looks awesome on me...just don't tell her that or I'll never hear the end of it. It's about finding your style and what works best for you.
  • jenbk2
    jenbk2 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I have a 30% off at Kohl's and can't even think about using it. I get too depressed.
  • BecomingElle
    BecomingElle Posts: 112 Member
    Options

AMEN.

Sometimes, I want to break down and cry in a dressing room. Sometimes I convince myself that it'd be better if people wore sheets or something instead, because clothes are just too much work.

But you know what? Cute things come in every size. A specific cute dress may not come in your size, but I'm sure you can find a different one just as cute in a bigger size that flatters you! Everyone looks the world better when they wear clothes that fit and suit them. Wear clothes that look amazing on you right now!

I went through a stage where I didn't buy anything except super duper cheap ugly clothes for "around the house" because I was going to "get nice clothes when I lost weight" but I wasn't actually doing anything to lose the weight at the time :/

I then started shopping for clothes that fitted and flattered by shape and size. Now I get compliments all the time on how I dress and my fashion sense. In fact, I'm not trying to boast, but I get compliments more often than a few of my friends who are slimmer than me. Sometimes I can't wear certain things, and that's okay. I let out a little sigh, and move on to find amazing clothes somewhere else :)

In fact, when i started taking more pride in my appearance and wearing suitable clothes, people even started commenting that I looked thinner. And I hadn't lost any weight! I was simply showing off the figure I had, instead of trying to dress for the figure I wanted.

Albeit I did buy a rather pricey dress the other week...it fits, only just, but doesn't look amazing yet. I've made a promise to myself to wear it out clubbing once I've lost a certain amount of weight :) Great motivation!

Being overweight doesn't mean you can't dress nice, or have nice hair or look gorgeous right now! I know it's hard and you want to wear a specific style or something that may not be right for you right now, but you're going to get there! But you can look just as gorgeous in the mean time. :)
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options

^^this!

dress for your body. not all styles look good on me. i am VERY much a pear shape. I have wide hips, a booty, and big thighs, but a smaller upper body (no boobs.... waaaaaaaaaaaah! lol). i can not wear juniors clothing which cuts out a lot of stores that many of my friends are able to shop at.
  • Brenda_Pancakes
    Brenda_Pancakes Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Sometimes... in the morning or before I'm going out somewhere... I'll change, like, at least 5 times... because each time I'm thinking "Ugh! That looks aweful..."... especially if the pants are a little snug and they push on my stomache... gives me that unflattering little roll above my jeans. Not cute.

But yeah, I feel ya.