What's your take on CARBS??

Options

Replies

• Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    I no scare of carbs, I vacuum with mouth!
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    My take is that people who have insulin related conditions should probably consume low-ish carb intake.
    My take is that people who do not have these conditions, usually do not need to do a low-carb plan.

Lastly, I do think protein and fat are physiologically of higher importance, but there's nothing magical about low-carb dieting.

Summed up quite nicely.
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    All carbs are not created equal.
    Some people think they are.
    Carbs found in veggies, fruit and whole grains are good for you.
    You need a balanced diet, not eating the good carbs is just as bad as only eating the "bad" ones.

(By bad, I mean; processed junk food, white bread, refined sugar, white rice...etc)

And what do these bad carbs do to you? Metabolically how is refined sugar different from sugars found in fruits?

Refined sugars offer no nutrional value. They only dump sugar into your system. Getting natural occuring sugars from fruits, veggies, dairy, and grains is the best way to consume it. It is metabolized into glucose and then its sent to the brain, cells, and used as fuel for the metabolism. Also fruits, veggies, grains provide the body with fiber. Refined does not. A healthy balanced "diet" is neccesary.

Plus kk281 answered it rather well. :)
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    You need a certain amount to stay healthy which is why I don't understand why people think low carbs is healthy. ( The right kind of carbs)
    http://www.rawfoodexplained.com/carbohydrates/the-role-of-carbohydrates-in-the-body.html
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I love carbs, but I don't eat pasta or bread every day. Probably 2-3 times a week I eat either one. I prefer to stick to good carbs, like salads, fruits, and even chocolate.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Thank you, kk for the explanation.

I have lowered my carb intake significantly but I am not at a low carb level. I am waiting to feel the explosion of energy. For now, my body is still adjusting to the major change...it's only been 10 days.
  • GetFitE
    GetFitE Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I try to keep all my carbs healthy carbs and stick to one serving size of them. I only eat 100% whole wheat bread (read the labels!), brown rice, multigrain oatmeal, or like a multigrain granola (Kashi Go Lean cereal), etc etc and fruits. I try keep my carbs at each of my 3 bigger meals (Breakfast, lunch, and dinner). I read a book recommended by my doctor & it says not to have carbs cover more than 25% of your plate & to keep them at one serving per meal. So, one piece of bread OR one serving of pasta, but not both.

If you love pasta and bread- eat whole wheat of both. And make pasta a side to your meal vs the main course!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    All carbs are not created equal.
    Some people think they are.
    Carbs found in veggies, fruit and whole grains are good for you.
    You need a balanced diet, not eating the good carbs is just as bad as only eating the "bad" ones.

(By bad, I mean; processed junk food, white bread, refined sugar, white rice...etc)

And what do these bad carbs do to you? Metabolically how is refined sugar different from sugars found in fruits?

Refined sugars offer no nutrional value. They only dump sugar into your system. Getting natural occuring sugars from fruits, veggies, dairy, and grains is the best way to consume it. It is metabolized into glucose and then its sent to the brain, cells, and used as fuel for the metabolism. Also fruits, veggies, grains provide the body with fiber. Refined does not. A healthy balanced "diet" is neccesary.

Plus kk281 answered it rather well. :)

So you're saying there is not difference, metabolically speaking between natural and refined sugars, right?

And why are white bread and rice worse then their brown counterparts?
  • IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Carbs are fine as long as you eat the right kind, of which in my experience bread and pasta just aren't those kinds.

If you get your carbs from vegtables and fruits, cut out grains and processed carbs + sugar I'm betting you'd be able to get over that hump.

You'll get a lot of varying views here though, there's a die hard set of people that bash on anything that remotely resembles low carb LOL.

This.

This is the plan my dietitian put me on. Lower my carbs, only good ones. All white needed to be replaced with whole wheat and grains. White rice is now brown. No white bread. If I wanted a baked potato, only half at a time. Fill up on greens instead. Pasta is a minimum too and it should be wheat as well. She prefers the kind with the added omega 3. I pretty much get all my recipes and meal plans from the American Diabetes Association. She suggested I use MFP so I could send her my meals, which was fine since I have been here for 2yrs. I use the exchange plan for how many carbs I am allowed per day. My husband and I are on the same plan, only he gets more carb exchanges than I do. We both have medical problems we are dealing with so this was the meal plan she put us on with the advice of our Primary Care Physician.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I cannot remember where but I read that females need to stick between 100 and 150 carbs a day to loose weight. I attempt to keep mine around 100. I can not eat wheat though so that cuts out a ton of carbs for me.
    ^not this. I almost always eat over 100 and can eat 200-300 in over 2000 cals a day and lose. Managed to hit the tip of under weight so you are highly misinformed
  • katidid213
    katidid213 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I lost 50lbs eating low carb. I found that after the first 2 weeks I no longer craved any sugar or carbs. Getting throught the first 2 weeks is tough though.

I always have tons of energy and never go hungry! That's the best part.
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I eat at least 200-300 on workout days and am leaner than ever. And yes, I still indulge in bread and pasta once in awhile. All I know is that when I was severely low-carbing it, I was faint, dizzy and lacked energy. Once I upped the carb intake, I felt like "me" again, if that makes sense. You can't completely cut one macronutrient out of the equation. Balance is key.
  • katidid213
    katidid213 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Spot on!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I decided no more bread. That was the first thing to go, a couple of weeks ago. Before, I was hungry most of the time. And worse, had these binge cravings for Bon Appetit pastries and chocolate. I could eat 1000 calories worth of just the pastries in a day and still eat regular meals, chocolate, and everything else. I'm sure I still can, too, but I'm not going to.

I notice I feel better. My allergies aren't as bad. I have more energy, I'm more sociable. Wow, that's odd. And so quick, even though I haven't even been that consistent with it. And on days when I am consistent, I'm not hungry like I've been most of the past 7 months of this journey.

So now I wonder what I can do if I go even lower carb. Atkins style. And I started that yesterday. Already was 5 carbs over, though, and then I found out my precious Dunkin Donuts coffee has carbs in it, so really, yesterday was a wash. Got to start over today pretty much. Going no bread wasn't really an effort, going deliberately under 20 carbs a day is apparently going to be.

The point of this long ramble? Maybe give up bread and bread products first, just start by keeping carbs under 100, maybe, and see how you feel. If you notice things are better, then maybe cut down even more. But this is coming from someone who is just starting out, so of course take it with a grain of salt!

Edit: Also, I tend to have low blood sugar and diabetes runs in my family. It's possible I've never done well on high carbs and was just too busy to notice.
  • brittajane87
    brittajane87 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Carbs and I....have a love/hate relationship. I decided I will not give up bread and pasta, but I limit myself to one pasta meal a week, and it actually tastes better that way so far! I will never fully cut them out because I know I would go off the wagon soooo quickly.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I don't put a ton of thought into it, but I've been trying to cut back on starchy carbs. So, instead of pasta or rice or potatoes with dinner, just having broccoli and/or carrots with dinner. That kind of thing. Not huge effort, just think about it and try to make a different choice.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I eat at least 200-300 on workout days and am leaner than ever. And yes, I still indulge in bread and pasta once in awhile. All I know is that when I was severely low-carbing it, I was faint, dizzy and lacked energy. Once I upped the carb intake, I felt like "me" again, if that makes sense. You can't completely cut one macronutrient out of the equation. Balance is key.

Not to mention the cognative problems associated with trying low carb
    http://journals.lww.com/ajnonline/Fulltext/2006/06000/Weight_Loss_and_Diet_Plans__Several_types_of_diet.27.aspx
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0195666308005515
  • airbent
    airbent Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I try not to have starches (as in bread/pasta/rice) at dinner, and any grains I eat in the morning with breakfast--oatmeal, that sort of thing. Along with fruit, dairy, and/or beans, this keeps me between 100-150 grams a day-- i might go a little over that on weekends, but I earn a lot of exercise calories/carbs from my side job. And even then, sweet potato fries and wonton wrappers are as starchy as I get since starting this.

I have a feeling if I start having rice and bread and stuff again, even if I cut down quantity, I'll stall out sooner, but I don't know for sure. I don't miss it too much yet, so I'll stick with these carb numbers for now.
  • raerae514
    raerae514 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that cutting out carbs for dieting purposes is okay and will be effective BUT you will need to up your fat and protein intake. Just a thought.

Also, I love carbs and they are delicious. I don't plan on cutting them out unless I reach a hump as well ;)
  • wolfi622
    wolfi622 Posts: 206
    Options
    In today's Express.

HEART ATTACK RISK IN DIETING

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/329161/Heart-attack-risk-in-dieting

Dang so I am gonna die eating carbs and not eating carbs.... ./sigh

Yeah, looks like....... :/