Always over on protein!!

Options
Hi everyone

I have a lot of weight to lose so have set my target at losing 2lb a week which allows me 1400 calories a day which I'm managing to keep to and usually eating around 1200 but I'm always over on protein!! I can't understand why, I don't eat a lot of meat or cheese etc. Does it really matter going over on protein??

Thanks x

Replies

• rhichi
    rhichi Posts: 133
    Options
    If you aren't going way way way over on protein, it's really not too big a problem as long as you aren't going way over on calories, fat and/or cholesterol as well. Since you say you don't eat a lot of meat and cheese, it's probably fine.
  • jesspi68
    jesspi68 Posts: 292
    Options
    I can't see your diary to see what you are eating that may be putting you over, but I know a lot of people use different Macro's to determine how much of each food type they should be eating. How far over are you going? I can't imagine you are eating enough for it to be an issue. My goal is 1600 calories per day and my macros are set up so I should be consuming about 120 grams of protein daily.
  • Carlybarleyx
    Options
    Well at today I've had a bowl of porridge made with half milk half water and artificial sweetner, lunch was a pitta bread with wafer thing roast chicken and for tea I'm having a mushroom risotto with half a chicken breast and I'm -24 on protein?! I don't eat any cheese at all...

x
  • breeanreyes
    breeanreyes Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    and if you're exercising regularly it will help delvelop your muscle strength and allow the quick repair of your muscles when you get sore, i wouldn't worry too much about protein, it's one of the things you want to try to get enough of so as long as your getting the recommended amount +some you should be ok
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I'm high on protein as a percentage not because I'm high on protein in an absolute way, but because I eat a lot of whole grains and so my carbs are high.
  • stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    If you're using MFP's ridiculously low protein settings on default, that's probably why.

Manually adjust stuff so you're taking at least 1g of protein a day per lb of weight.
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    MFP gives a horrible starter plan on your percentages. If you haven't altered your goals you NEED to be way over on their suggested protein.
  • breeanreyes
    breeanreyes Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    if you are a little concerned with how much you are getting, you could reduce your meat portions, a serving of chicken has something like 23g protein in 4oz (i'm not sure if that's exact)
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    MFP guidelines are very low.....Target 1g protein for every LB of lean body mass........ then target .3g fat / LB. Think of these as minimums....It's fine if you go over. Fill in the rest with whatever so long as you stay under your calorie goal.
  • maverick48
    maverick48 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Higher protein is better, it's essential for maintaining muscle while you're losing weight, and it keeps you satisfied longer than carbs. So keep it up!
  • Carlybarleyx
    Options
    Ahhhh I see....well I have no idea how to adjust any settings but I'm under on carbs which are usually my downfall so I'm trying not to worry too much.

I have a faily active lifestyle, I'm a mum to an 8yr old, two 3yr olds and a 13 month old so I'm always on the go and don't drive so walk around 4 miles a day doing school runs...do you think thats exercise enough or should I try and do something extra?? I'm just so shattered of an evening and I literally don't get time to sit down let alone do a fitness dvd during the day!

x
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Your protein should be the highest of your macronutrient intake. I'm lazy, so read this:

http://4chanfit.wikia.com/wiki/Harsh's_Worksheet_(WIP)
  • jaquwa
    jaquwa Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm with everyone else, the targets for protein on MFP are low, I have mine set to 40%. Its pbetter to be over on protein than fat!
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    If you're using MFP's ridiculously low protein settings on default, that's probably why.

Manually adjust stuff so you're taking at least 1g of protein a day per lb of weight.

Quick correction - the rule of thumb that is being pointed to here (whether you choose to follow it or not) is 1 g of protein per pound of lean body mass, as pointed out by another poster. It is not 1 g per pound of body weight as stated here. :flowerforyou:

Edited to add my macros, just as an FYI: based on advice from a nutritionist, I have my macros set at 40% carbs, 25% protein, and 35% fat. Many people on here put their protein much higher than that; you have to do your research and decide what's best for you. There is no one size fits all, but just know that you can custom set your macros.
  • jennadelane
    jennadelane Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    MFP gives a horrible starter plan on your percentages. If you haven't altered your goals you NEED to be way over on their suggested protein.

This. MFP really shortchanges you on protein needs on the automatic setup option. I suggest manually setting it up and getting at least 30% of your calories from protein. I'm a 5'7" female and aim for at least 100g of protein everyday.
  • Versah
    Versah Posts: 7
    Options
    How active are you throughout the day? Even things like walking to the store can effect your levels of what you can have. What I would do is if you walk somewhere, time how long you were on your feet and then write it down, unless you have acess to a computer or the mobile app, in which case, log in walking for that long into the exercise tab on myfitnesspal. This will boost the levels of what you can have. REMEMBER: The given amounts of EVERYTHING on this site is for someone who wouldnt do ANYTHING all day. Even if you dont log in walking or other activites like that, heres a good way to know if your getting enough or to much protein: Take your body weight. For every pound your body is, do .6 or .7 grams of protein. If you do a lot of resistence exercises, this can even be boosted all the way up to a gram per pound of body weight. Hope that helps. =)
  • miller1208
    miller1208 Posts: 25
    Options
    Going over on protein isn't such a big deal. That's fuel for your muscles. What I'm concerned about is trying to lose 2 lbs/week. Your body may fight you on so few calories. Check out the eat more to weigh less group here on MFP. This website is another excellent resource: http://bwsimulator.niddk.nih.gov/
  • stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options

Quick correction - the rule of thumb that is being pointed to here (whether you choose to follow it or not) is 1 g of protein per pound of lean body mass, as pointed out by another poster. It is not 1 g per pound of body weight as stated here. :flowerforyou:

Simplified, as I doubt she knows what her body fat% is. If she knows her LBM then cool, use that.
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options

Per pound of lean mass what I aim for.
  • Shannon2714
    Shannon2714 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I intentionally go over on protein as often as possible.