What's your favorite thing to "brown-bag" for lunch?

Options
I'm totally bored of my usual things I take to work, so give me some ideas by telling me what you pack in your lunch box. =]

Today I'm thinking of using all of my left over fruits in a fruit salad and packing some peanutbutter and greek yogurt for dipping, and maybe some nuts and cheese.

Replies

• MsNewBooty83
    MsNewBooty83 Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    those sall 85g tins of flavored tunas with 2 ryvita crackers (i eat that every single day of my life, lol), a whole small avacado and an apple :D
  • jocelynna
    jocelynna Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I just take leftovers from dinner the night before. Just make sure you make enough so that you have some to take (assuming you have access to a microwave).
  • xlolitabandita
    Options
    Sounds yummmay, but I'm a vegetarian so i can't eat tuna anymore. I'm def running out of meat free ideas that I can pack. Dinners at home are easy, I just don't have a good way to heat up food at work. maybe some egg salad could work though! Thanks. =]
  • xlolitabandita
    Options
    I just take leftovers from dinner the night before. Just make sure you make enough so that you have some to take (assuming you have access to a microwave).

Nope, no microwave. =[
  • RemingtonFae
    Options
    I am a sucker for spicy food..

Slice up some red onion, peppers (I use jalapeno or habanero, but bell or poblano are good), get some black beans and corn, chunk up an avocado or three.. mix it all together with lime juice (and oil if you want). You can put tomatoes or tofu in it, season it however you want.. heat it up or put it over rice or on a tortilla..

also (http://ohsheglows.com/2011/10/24/black-bean-and-butternut-squash-burritos/) these are good for brown bagging, and have lots of protein which is hard when you go veg.
  • 916lude
    916lude Posts: 305
    Options
    Some homemade hummus, a pita, and a bunch of veggies to pack in.

Yogurt, peanut butter, honey and apple slices

Cucumber and tomato slices with soy sauce and garlic..
  • mmessinger0718
    mmessinger0718 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Raw brocolli, sliced cucumbers, sweet bell peppers with a spicy italian dressing YUM YUM.

OR spinach with a serving of fritos and salsa on top.
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I am LOVING this salad for lunches this week:

http://cookieandkate.com/2011/vegetarian-soba-noodles-recipe/
  • janiceover
    janiceover Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    chunk light tuna (water packed) with tbsp of olive oil & tbsp of balsamic vinegarette....add a bit of pepper...and voila...a delicious, healthy lunch to go!
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I usually take leftovers or a salami and cheese sandwich on Wonder bread.
  • Wendy7605
    Wendy7605 Posts: 2
    Options
    I took this idea from another website and have it quite often. 3 oz of sliced turkey or chicken, one ounce of low fat cheese (I buy Swiss), one piece of fruit, handful of almonds (approx. 12), and a water. If I'm having a hungry day, I'll slice tomato and cukes and eat plain or with a little low fat dressing.. All healthy and holds me until dinner.:smile:
  • metzica
    metzica Posts: 24
    Options
    This week I've been eating sandwiches on bagel thins with special K cracker chips sour cream and onion (27 chips for 110 cal) :)
  • mjsunshine16
    mjsunshine16 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    leftovers, pb&j, hummus, carrots, pita chips, soup, mini bagel with skinny cow cheese, fruit, multiple containers of veggies I can heat up
  • xlolitabandita
    Options
    Thanks guys! i have a few good ideas now. =]
  • skirtlongjacket
    skirtlongjacket Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Olive Oil Roasted Tomatoes and Fennel with White Beans. Roasted tomatoes are way up there on the favorite things list. The beans give it enough bulk to be substantial. It's decent cold. Vegan and delicious, link to the recipe below:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Olive-Oil-Roasted-Tomatoes-and-Fennel-with-White-Beans-360271
  • RAWBMEOW
    RAWBMEOW Posts: 64
    Options
    I bring trader joes pre made salads, you just need to be careful because some of them are super high in calories. I also like to steam cauliflower the night before and eat that too!
  • ekloretto
    ekloretto Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My most "go to" is Peanut butter on a rice cake. Eat it with whatever fruit/veg I have (typically berries, carrots, or right now lots of cherries) and a string cheese.
  • bringit30
    bringit30 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I make a salad for lunch that includes spinich, green onions, feta cheese, blueberries and caesar dressing.
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    My diary is open and I am notorious for brown bagging it!! I'm a vegetarian and I hardly ever bring something that requires a microwave!! For me its a lot of fruit and veggies, hummus, cheese, leftovers that I don't mind eating cold...today I ate Black Bean Meatballs cold...soooo yummy! :)
  • thebuz
    thebuz Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    This is a favorite of mine and it's so flavorful and easy to make ahead of time and package up for the week. The only thing I would mention is that I find it's more like 4 servings than 8 if you are having this for lunch. I sometimes add water chestnuts and/or corn if I want to beef it up.

Herbed Rice and Spicy Black Bean Salad

By: Kelly Belli

"Delicious fresh herbs and a blend of peppers make this a fresh, light, and healthy dish that can be a side or a main course. My family loves this on warm summer nights."

Prep Time:
    45 Min

Ready In:
    55 Min

Original Recipe Yield 8 servings

Ingredients
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    2 cups cold, cooked white rice
    1 (14 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
    2 celery stalks, finely chopped
    1 (4 ounce) can chopped black olives
    3 green onions, chopped
    1/4 cup red wine vinegar
    1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

Directions
    1. Make a seasoning by mixing together the basil, thyme, parsley, cilantro, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, and garlic powder in a bowl.
    2. Gently mix together the rice, black beans, celery, olives, and green onions in a large bowl. Season the rice mixture with 1 teaspoon of the seasoning.
    3. Make a dressing by whisking the vinegar and olive oil with the seasoning; allow to rest for 10 minutes. Pour the dressing over the rice mixture; stir to combine.

Nutritional Information

Amount Per Serving Calories: 185 | Total Fat: 8.8g | Cholesterol: 0mgPowered by ESHA Nutrient Database