How do increase calories burned during cardio

Options
2»

Replies

• onikonor
    onikonor Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Yeah I see a lot of truth in that. Many people in great shape add resistance when they are training to get a better burn.

This is why heavier people get a harder workout in a shorter period. However, as you get in better shape your endurance would increase.

I've seen people who roller blade with a parachute behind them. My guess is they would have to roller blade for a long time before they would get the same burn as with the parachute.
  • onikonor
    onikonor Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I have to agree HR is a by product of how hard you work not how many cals you burn. When I was 290lbs it took more cals to go four miles in an hour. With weight loss I now have to go a longer distance to to burn the same amount of cals. . The calories are related to moving the mass across the distance not how fast your heart beats.
    If yo need to increase your calories burned from walking or running a distance carry some weight in a back pack.

I expect the harder you work the higher your heart rate would be the more calories you would burn. So I guess this applies to all fitness levels as long as you are pushing your body to do more.

Is HRM generally fairly accurate?
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options

I expect the harder you work the higher your heart rate would be the more calories you would burn. So I guess this applies to all fitness levels as long as you are pushing your body to do more.

Again, I haven't read any good studies on this, but I don't think that's how it works at all. If you work harder, you'll burn more calories in the same time period because you'll be doing more activity. Your heart rate will probably increase and maybe even in a predictably correlated way, but the extra burn is from the extra work, not the increased heart rate. For instance, if I do push-ups for 1 minute and I take it kind of easy and only do 10 I will have burned a certain amount of calories. If I really push myself and do 50 push-ups in that minute, I will have burned roughly 5 times the amount of calories, because I did 5 times the amount of work. My heart rate will probably increase as well, if I'm pushing harder. On the other hand, if I was really super fit there might not be a big difference between my heart rate in these two situations, but the difference in calorie burn would still be there.

For calorie burn estimates? A lot of people say so. For me, it tends to overestimate my calories burned because I tend to have a very elevated heart rate the entire time I'm exercising. I've read that they're the most accurate within the target heart rate zone (maybe around 70% of maximum heart rate), but less accurate when your heart rate is slower or faster than that. For instance, I put mine on while meditating and it told me I burned 7 calories in 30 minutes. That translates to 336 per day. Since my BMR is more like 1700 to 1800, that's extremely inaccurate.
  • Sheila_Ann
    Sheila_Ann Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    As you get in better shape you can work your body harder for longer at the same or lower perceived effort. This equates to a higher calorie burn.

At 175 lbs, 800 calories in an hour is a moderate run of a little under 7 miles.

So the more fit you are the more you burn? I thought it was the other way around the heavier you are the more you burn and the more fit you are the more you need to work for the same burn.

The higher your heart rate is during a workout the more calories you will burn, weight has nothing to do with how fast you can burn calories

^^ this...I use an HRM for my zumba classes and if my HR is up in the 170-180 I burn a lot more calories then when I'm in my 140's.
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    For me...

if I do 45 mins on the elliptical at level 16, I will burn just over 400.
    if I do 45 mins at level 12, I'll burn about 350.

So...to burn more calories...push harder? Some people may also do different classes at the gym, or, if it's the 30 Day Shred for exampe, if person a and person b both have heart rate monitors, but person a does the badass moves with 10 lbs weights and person b does the modified moves with 5 lb weights, person a will presumably burn more.
  • egarcia83
    egarcia83 Posts: 11
    Options
    On my elliptical it keeps count of calories burned for me, if I do a lighter resistance or less minutes its usually I usually burn about 300-500 calories. I try to stick with doing the 45 minute high resistance workout and burn up to 1000 calories. I think it has to do with the high resistance but at the end of the workout I am sweating bullets and out of breath.
  • markymarrkk
    markymarrkk Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I weigh 199 and easily burn 500 calories in 30 minutes of running at 7mph, I can't maintain 7mph for an hour, so I have hit 800 or so calories in an hour with running and stairs combined, usually keeping my heart rate up above 160 or even 170 bpm.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    People that weight more will burn more calories.

The other option is to increase your effort. Push harder, do more. In my step aerobic class there were easy versions and harder version of the exercises. You could walk up the step, run up the step, or run up the step with high knees. The high knees burns more calories.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I mainly run and I burn about 1200 Cal in a run thats a 9 mile run takes me about 70-75 minutes. I average around a 8 minute mile with my HR around 165 average.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I have to agree HR is a by product of how hard you work not how many cals you burn. When I was 290lbs it took more cals to go four miles in an hour. With weight loss I now have to go a longer distance to to burn the same amount of cals. . The calories are related to moving the mass across the distance not how fast your heart beats.
    If yo need to increase your calories burned from walking or running a distance carry some weight in a back pack.

HRMs with chest straps are more accurate than the wrist only ones. Chest straps measure your heart rate constantly ... wrist only models measure it periodically.
  • hlince3
    hlince3 Posts: 4
    Options
    I use Wolfram Alpha to calculate mine, an example here:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=calories+burned+walking+5+miles+at+3.5+mph+with+a+5%25+incline+weighing+218+lbs

it uses common information from various health sources to best target your calorie burned rate. This is possible with many different cario-based exercises.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Heart rate is a relatively accurate way to measure calories for steady-state cardio. As your effort increases, your muscles call for more oxygen and other nutrients. The body responds to this increased demand by increasing blood flow to deliver more of them faster. You aren't actually burning that many more calories from the actual increase in heart rate - the heart is not a terribly huge muscle - but the heart is an indicator that your body is probably calling for oxygen.

There are other things that can increase heart rate. Anxiety, anger, that attractive member of the opposite sex walking by, etc. Few of those things actually increase calorie burn, so wearing a heart rate monitor all day to try and estimate calorie burn is pretty useless.

But when you are elevating your heart rate specifically for the purpose of exercise, it's a relatively consistent ratio. And it doesn't matter how fit or healthy you are - if your heart rate is at x for a given weight, height, age, etc - you are probably burning y calories within a reasonable margin of error. As you get more fit, you must maintain the same effort (and therefore increased athletic performance) to have the same calorie burn.

I weigh over 200 pounds. At my age, my "max cardio" (85% VO2) range of 150BPM, which I can maintain easily for an hour, I can burn 960 calories an hour doing any cardio exercise which supports reaching and maintaining that heart rate steady-state. Treadmill, elliptical, running in place, etc.

For my wife, who weighs closer to 160 pounds, maintaining 85% VO2 for an hour is a somewhat less promising 580 calories.

Source: http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx

At the end of the day, it's all estimates based on averages, but heart rate monitors are the best tool I've ever heard of for steady-state exercise. As far as true daily burn, it's hard to find something that can be anywhere near accurate. FitBit goes mostly based on motion, but it can't tell how much of your body is moving. Evolution failed to equip us with an honest fuel-rate meter.
  • vfnmoody
    vfnmoody Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Most I can burn is around 600-650 calories in an hour, given I am only 125/126 Ibs and that is using the elliptical or running/jogging on the treadmill with my heartrate remaining between 80 and 90% of max. Cycling with lots of hills burns me around 480 an hour, and that is all according to my polar ft4 hrm. The cycling was pretty close to the mfp estimates anyway.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    On my elliptical it keeps count of calories burned for me, if I do a lighter resistance or less minutes its usually I usually burn about 300-500 calories. I try to stick with doing the 45 minute high resistance workout and burn up to 1000 calories. I think it has to do with the high resistance but at the end of the workout I am sweating bullets and out of breath.

Machines are notorious for over estimating or under estimating calories burned, so I would invest in a hrm if you can.