Thoughts on Sit-N-Stroll Exerciser?

Options
Like many of you, I spend 80% of my waking hours sitting down. I have a bodybugg, and my normal daily burn is between 2200 - 2300, but the other day I went to visit my mom, didn't work out at all and burned over 2600. I think its because of all the little 'extra steps' I took. So I looked into something that would let me at least be a little active while sitting, since my job requires it.

I found the Sit-N-Stroll Exerciser and it looks really neat. Obviously it won't give you a high intensity workout, but it does keep you 'moving' even while sitting. Has anyone tried it? It says its mainly for people with health problems, poor circulation, diabetes etc - but I don't know why you couldn't just use it.

Thoughts? I read some reviews online, but I'd like a fellow MFPers take if possible. :bigsmile:

http://www.footsmart.com/Product.aspx?ProductId=1483&cm_re=xsell-_-product-_-2

Replies

• Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I don't know about this sit and stroll, but I tossed my office chair and I sit on an exercise ball. My lower back and back between my shoulder blades does not hurt any more - ever. When I first got it about 6 months ago I could not sit on it all day, I'd start out with an hour or two a day, then swap back to the chair. Now it's all I have.

You have to practice certain caution of course - when you stand up, don't just sit back down, it might roll away, etc. :) And I had a hard time staying on it at first, and my abs hurt and my thighs and glutes - of course I was VERY VERY out of shape at the time, and that has changed over the past 6 months.

My boss at first was like NO WAY can you use that - but I just did anyway. It's a real conversation piece when people come by my office and I'm bouncing on this ball.

I do IT work, so while I'm out of the office a lot, there is still a lot of time when I'm just sitting and typing on my computer, or running utilities on my network that requires me to sit and stare at the monitor. With the ball I can do little mini sit-ups, or bounce, swing my hips, whatever. I fidget a lot now instead of sitting still. :) And it cost me 12 bucks. :)

*shrug* I know some folks say this isn't safe, but it's worked out super well for me over the past 6 months. YMMV. :)
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I just looked at that product you mention, and it looks amazing. :) If I ever have an extra 50 bucks I might invest in one. I'm honestly a great proponent of fidgeting. :)
  • queen3510
    Options
    Hi Hannah,

What is the body bugg and how does it work? Thanks!
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I don't know about this sit and stroll, but I tossed my office chair and I sit on an exercise ball. My lower back and back between my shoulder blades does not hurt any more - ever. When I first got it about 6 months ago I could not sit on it all day, I'd start out with an hour or two a day, then swap back to the chair. Now it's all I have.

You have to practice certain caution of course - when you stand up, don't just sit back down, it might roll away, etc. :) And I had a hard time staying on it at first, and my abs hurt and my thighs and glutes - of course I was VERY VERY out of shape at the time, and that has changed over the past 6 months.

My boss at first was like NO WAY can you use that - but I just did anyway. It's a real conversation piece when people come by my office and I'm bouncing on this ball.

I do IT work, so while I'm out of the office a lot, there is still a lot of time when I'm just sitting and typing on my computer, or running utilities on my network that requires me to sit and stare at the monitor. With the ball I can do little mini sit-ups, or bounce, swing my hips, whatever. I fidget a lot now instead of sitting still. :) And it cost me 12 bucks. :)

*shrug* I know some folks say this isn't safe, but it's worked out super well for me over the past 6 months. YMMV. :)

Oh neat! I've seen those, but with my precarious sense of balance and a 2 year old running, pushing and trying to spin my office chair all day long, that sounds somewhat like a bruised tail bone waiting to happen. :laugh: I'm reeeeeeally interested in trying it though regardless. I might try them in conjunction with each other, I could get a great workout just falling off and getting back on. :tongue:

Queen, here is a great link that explains the bodybugg. http://ichoosethin.com/thinblog/does-bodybugg-work :flowerforyou:
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    Great Link Hannah. Have you been surprised by how many calories you were acutally burning during any given day?
    Oh, and FWIW - I don't think that little stepper will do much for you.
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Great Link Hannah. Have you been surprised by how many calories you were acutally burning during any given day?

On the whole, I'm not surprised. However - I do get surprised when I see that I actually burn more calories when I'm up making dinner or just putting in a load of laundry. Bodybugg has a chart that shows you minute by minute during the day what you burned. Now instead of dreading forgetting something and having to run up the stairs again for it, I get excited because I know it will be reflected in my calorie burn for the day.

I'm very visual and I love math and straightforward data, so its an excellent tool for me. :smile: