Feeling judgemental...

Options
2»

Replies

• Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    My friend was a very positive force in my life because after listening for a certain amount of time she then became bluntly honest and refused to let me complain to her anymore. She basically told me " look I don't want to hear it, you don't do anything about it and I'm tired of listening to it, so if you are going to continue to complain do it to someone else" and you know what, I agreed with her. I realized how others felt when I complained to them all the time, which I never really thought that people were tired of hearing it, it just never crossed my mind. But boy she really helped me out by making me take a good hard look at the reality of my situation. I am not saying be mean but you can be blunt and let her know you don't have to listen to it anymore.

NO...she could be sensitive to the point that hearing something like this would ruin your friendship...if you are willing to pay that price....well...dont do it anyway

If they are really friends then she can judge for herself if this approach will work for her, some people don't realize how they sound to others, and I never said be mean about it. She can state it as bluntly or nicely as she likes while still getting the point of not wanting to hear her complain anymore across. Sometimes being all candy, kittens and roses doesn't work, sometimes it does. She can take the information and judge for herself
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Firstly, I'm not sure if this goes here, and if I'm not, I'm sorry! I hope I don't get a lot of hate about this, because I know it's not cool of me, but...

I have a co-worker whom I love dearly (she's more of a friend after working with her for 6 years), and she is constantly talking about wanting to lose weight. She calls herself "a fat pig" constantly, and she refuses to buy new clothes, so she's always showing me how her pants are undone under her shirt because they're too small.

She also consistently eats fast food. (Burger King for breakfast is a staple.) Her sister is trying to get her to walk everyday, and she complains to me about it because she says she's too tired and her sister is annoying her. Her sister signed them up for a 5k as motivation, and my co-worker has lied to her sister and said she'll do it and will "eventually" train for it, but she has told me she has no intention of actually going through with it.

We sit beside each other at work, and it drives me up the wall hearing her snacking away and drinking so much soda. I got to a fed up point with my health, I was unhappy, so I made changes. Why does she not feel the need to do the same? She's obviously unhappy, but she has no desire to change. It's like she wants someone to wave a wand to make her lose weight while she continues with her same old habits. And she's so set in her ways...She refuses to do any exercise because she's "too old for all that nonsense" (she's not even 40), and she keeps coming in with fast food because she "forgot to go grocery shopping."

I've kindly made suggestions when she complains about her weight of what she should do. When she complains about her sister, I say, "She's just trying to help you reach your goals." But she reminds me that she's too old and blahblahblah. I just feel so judgemental, because I get so angry. It makes me even more angry when she tells me about how she pacifies her 2 year old with McDonald's daily.

I know it's not my life and not my business...I really just needed to get my feelings out there. I'm so frustrated with her, and I hate sitting at my desk with so much judgement towards her, but I just don't know how to let it go.
    What are you really asking here? There are plenty of "I'm bothered by my friend/co-worker/relative/partner/spouse's eating habits" threads. It's natural for me to start focusing on something in my life, then notice it more in others. Whether that's eating better, exercising, being less selfish, whatever. It's in my head and now I'm sensitized to it. So noticing other people's eating habits while participating on MFP is unsurprising. It's how our brains work.

You seem concerned about being judgmental. But these kinds of posts generally result in the same thing: other people judging some stranger depicted in one person's post. We know nothing about your co-worker except what you have described in your post. And people are going to focus on her. It happens all the time. And I don't get it. You are the one here. You are the one posting. You are the one I care about.

Everyone is judgmental to some degree. It's how we tell right from wrong, what job to take, who we marry, who our friends. I think being judgmental has a bad reputation. Your profile pic indicates you are a mom. I think you will want your kids to be judgmental in their selection of friends. You may not want them to be mean or disrespectful in doing so. But you'll want them to "use good judgment" when making decisions.

You've already said something to your co-worker. What else is there for you to do? If hearing someone eat and drink "drives you up the wall," I suspect you may not like your co-worker. It's even possible that while you are making healthy decisions and have lost a lot of weight (congrats on 70 pounds!) that you see her as a reminder of your old habits.

Why are you so angry? Why does it matter what someone else in your office eats? What could possibly benefit you in knowing *why* you co-worker makes the decisions she does? Unless you are struggling with the same decisions, I don't see how it matters.

The way you've described your co-worker makes her sounds like a pretty sad person. How sad are you? You've lost 70 pounds! You are doing something very right. I just don't get the anger part, which you bring up multiple times. Are you angry about something else? Is it possible that there is other stuff going on in your life that has nothing to do with your co-worker? I'm not a psychologist, but I'm nosy and arrogant enough to ask blunt questions on the Internet. I hope it's helpful in some way.
  • nlhill79
    nlhill79 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I had an old friend invite me over and with a dozen Krispy Kremes and a Venti Starbucks Frappicino on her table talk to me about how she is going to get gastric bypass because she doesn't want diabetes. :/ I just said, "Let's go walking then." And she said, "No, my mind is made up." And so I say, "I wish you all the best." And that is all you can do.
  • icandoit203
    icandoit203 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    My friend was a very positive force in my life because after listening for a certain amount of time she then became bluntly honest and refused to let me complain to her anymore. She basically told me " look I don't want to hear it, you don't do anything about it and I'm tired of listening to it, so if you are going to continue to complain do it to someone else" and you know what, I agreed with her. I realized how others felt when I complained to them all the time, which I never really thought that people were tired of hearing it, it just never crossed my mind. But boy she really helped me out by making me take a good hard look at the reality of my situation. I am not saying be mean but you can be blunt and let her know you don't have to listen to it anymore.

NO...she could be sensitive to the point that hearing something like this would ruin your friendship...if you are willing to pay that price....well...dont do it anyway

I think some people need the blunt force due to the fact that if you keep babying them then they will continue on the wrong path. I needed it and it helped me alot, at the time I didn't like it but as I think back it helped. I also feel a lot better than before. So if you feel you can do it I say go for it otherwise just redirect the convo to something else...you still have to work with her no matter what so it's all ur decision.
  • amykins514
    amykins514 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    What are you really asking here? There are plenty of "I'm bothered by my friend/co-worker/relative/partner/spouse's eating habits" threads. It's natural for me to start focusing on something in my life, then notice it more in others. Whether that's eating better, exercising, being less selfish, whatever. It's in my head and now I'm sensitized to it. So noticing other people's eating habits while participating on MFP is unsurprising. It's how our brains work.

You seem concerned about being judgmental. But these kinds of posts generally result in the same thing: other people judging some stranger depicted in one person's post. We know nothing about your co-worker except what you have described in your post. And people are going to focus on her. It happens all the time. And I don't get it. You are the one here. You are the one posting. You are the one I care about.

Everyone is judgmental to some degree. It's how we tell right from wrong, what job to take, who we marry, who our friends. I think being judgmental has a bad reputation. Your profile pic indicates you are a mom. I think you will want your kids to be judgmental in their selection of friends. You may not want them to be mean or disrespectful in doing so. But you'll want them to "use good judgment" when making decisions.

You've already said something to your co-worker. What else is there for you to do? If hearing someone eat and drink "drives you up the wall," I suspect you may not like your co-worker. It's even possible that while you are making healthy decisions and have lost a lot of weight (congrats on 70 pounds!) that you see her as a reminder of your old habits.

Why are you so angry? Why does it matter what someone else in your office eats? What could possibly benefit you in knowing *why* you co-worker makes the decisions she does? Unless you are struggling with the same decisions, I don't see how it matters.

The way you've described your co-worker makes her sounds like a pretty sad person. How sad are you? You've lost 70 pounds! You are doing something very right. I just don't get the anger part, which you bring up multiple times. Are you angry about something else? Is it possible that there is other stuff going on in your life that has nothing to do with your co-worker? I'm not a psychologist, but I'm nosy and arrogant enough to ask blunt questions on the Internet. I hope it's helpful in some way.

As I said in my original post, I know it's not my problem, but it frustrates me to hear her complain about being so miserable and then not do anything about it. I do care about this person, and I want her happy, but if she doesn't want to take action for herself, I'm powerless to help, and *that* is probably where the anger comes from. I know it's my own issue with feeling like I don't have control over something, I'm not blind to that. I'm just trying to learn how to let it go and let her be and not let it affect me so much.

I can definitely say it is hard when she brings crappy food in and is eating it right in front of me. I'm not gonna lie -- that sucks. I've mentioned to her that I don't like smelling her food because it sort of affects me a bit, and she laughed it off. But, to be fair to her, I'm also not the type of person to expect anyone to be troubled over my issues, so I laughed it off with her. I would never be comfortable asking her not to eat that stuff at her desk just because I'm a recovering compulsive over-eater.

This is truly something I need to work on with myself. I've offered to help her lose weight if she wants to, there's nothing more I can do. I just need to learn how to "smile and nod" when she starts complaining about it and not let it be something that bothers me. I'll have to work on that myself.

Thank you all for allowing me to vent and helping me see I really need to just learn how to let go.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    This is truly something I need to work on with myself. I've offered to help her lose weight if she wants to, there's nothing more I can do. I just need to learn how to "smile and nod" when she starts complaining about it and not let it be something that bothers me. I'll have to work on that myself.

Thank you all for allowing me to vent and helping me see I really need to just learn how to let go.
    Well-stated. You've answered your problem better than any one of us here could have. I'm glad you posted this.

I am convinced that 90% of the time, we already have the solution inside us. It just takes some of us time/experience/guidance/smacks on the head/etc. to get there. A wonderful saying I heard years ago about this very idea: "whatever you come looking for, you coming looking with."
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    A wonderful saying I heard years ago about this very idea: "whatever you come looking for, you coming looking with."

^ This is great! So true... :flowerforyou: