Eat nothing - lost nothing. Ate loads lost three pounds

Options
Hello,

Basically for eleven weeks I really hit this hard. I did P90X weight training x 3 days a week and Insanity/Turbo Fire for the cardio days. I also tracked everything I ate.

And NOTHING happened.
It was sooooooooo disheartening because of the effort. In this eleven weeks I started on 1200 cals. Tried to go up to 1900 for a few weeks. Took it back down until 1200 cals because nothing was happening. Still no weight and no inch change really.

Then last Friday something snapped and I went on an eating rampage for a week. MacDondalds x 2. Pizza hut. Massive roast dinner. Crisps. Basically you name it....and I lost 3lbs. Plus so far it seems to have stayed off and my trousers are definately looser.

Now...how do I proceed? I really want to loose weight but don't really know what to eat. Do I eat more fat? Do you think that is what I body needed in order to contiune this weight loss? Has this happened to anyone else and what did you do to keep losing?

I am 5 foot and currently 128 lbs.
Thanks

Replies

• mrs_dwr
    mrs_dwr Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Check out the group Eat More to Weigh Less and read the stickies with an open mind. Trust me; it'll change your whole approach to weight loss. As a personal anecdote, I've been losing weight eating 1900+ calories every day. It works.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure it's not the fat but you could try upping your healthy fats.

I'm curious if you also quit the extreme workouts over the last few days? I don't know why they seem to hinder weight loss but I see it reported a lot. I used to think 'gaining muscle' but I guess it's 'retaining water'? But usually people see some changes-- clothes feel better, legs look better, feeling better, something. Sometimes when I add a new exercise level, I don't see changes for a long time then BAM, the scale drops 5 lbs. or something.
  • mama2shi
    mama2shi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Check out the group Eat More to Weigh Less and read the stickies with an open mind. Trust me; it'll change your whole approach to weight loss. As a personal anecdote, I've been losing weight eating 1900+ calories every day. It works.

^^^ THIS!! This group changed my thinking and was the best thing I ever did. I am on 1,900 too :)
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Jess knows what she's talking about! I belong to the group as well and second the encouragement to join! :flowerforyou:
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    I work out at least one hour 6 days/week and eat between 1700-2000 cals/day. Steady weight loss of 1.5-2 pounds week. Only hit plateaus when I don't eat enough. It's true for most people...your body will stop losing when it thinks it's starving. best of luck!
  • Giggle78
    Giggle78 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Thanks so much I will check out the group.

Yes I did cut back on the extreme workouts. I only did one Turbo Fire and one Zumba (where you hardly break a sweat). This week so far I've only done one Turbo Fire. So it is no where near the intensity as before. TBH I am finding it hard to get motivation back...Anyway tomorrow is a new day.
  • txbutterfly69
    txbutterfly69 Posts: 115 Member
    Options

Curious, about how many calories do you burn daily when you eat 1900+ Are you a runner?
  • shelbynicole32
    shelbynicole32 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    With my body, I've learned what I did that week doesn't "catch up" with my until the end of the next week.
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I just joined that group too and am doing a modified metabolism reset....2000 calories a day and not eating back exercise calories unless I burn more than 500 calories (I'll drop below my BMR if I do) and if I don't workout I still eat 2000 calories a day.

3 weeks ago I gained 3 lbs (thanks TOM) and it wasn't budging!!! At all!!! (at that point with the gain I had only lost 3 lbs since January). Since I upped to 2000 calories I'm almost down those 3 lbs. Maybe I've found my calorie goal to lose weight.

You have nothing to lose.....more calories will properly fuel your body but also make them healthy calories!!!
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    With my body, I've learned what I did that week doesn't "catch up" with my until the end of the next week.

Me too. It makes it really hard to change gears and judge what caused what.
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options

Curious, about how many calories do you burn daily when you eat 1900+ Are you a runner?

I eat around 1900 and I run (haven't in a long time though) and I lift. Just movement throughout the day is what makes me burn between 2100- 2400 according to my bodybugg :wink:
  • Sassinator333
    Options
    That could make sense as eating too little would fool your body into storing energy in the form of fat. Eating more (coupled with exercise, of course) could be spurring the weight loss. Good Luck.
  • smbrooks404
    smbrooks404 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Where do we find this group?? I am really wondering if that is my problem. I have been working out intensely for several months, eating 1200 calories (mostly healthy with the occasional splurge) and really not budging...well, I will drop 5, gain back 3, drop 3 gain back 2 etc. It is getting ridiculous.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    you don't have much to lose. I have heard of the "whoosh" effect from leangains:
    Refeeding can cause rapid weight loss, a whoosh. This seems counter intuitive, but it's a phenomenon observed in the scientific literature and retold by many dieters. My clients experience this, and so do people embarking on diet regimens where planned carb refeeds are integral parts of the plan (for example, The Ultimate Diet 2.0).

from here:
    http://www.leangains.com/search/label/Water Retention
  • Giggle78
    Options
    That was a really interesting website. I just looked at it. Ahhh So there is nothing new under the sun and other people have experienced this too!!
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I think if you went back up to 1900 and just made sure to eat healthy foods to fill up the calories you will continue to lose. 1200 didn't do anything for me and hasn't for you...no sense continuing to do that.
  • Giggle78
    Options
    No 1200 calories is pants. I can't go back to no food hell. Not after eating again. However - whilst eating what I wanted for a week sounds great in theory actually I felt pants last week. Also very down - I think from not exercising. It is funny though even though I know I will feel better if I get my trainers on and start making my lunch the night before I still am sat on this sofa...:0(
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    No 1200 calories is pants. I can't go back to no food hell. Not after eating again. However - whilst eating what I wanted for a week sounds great in theory actually I felt pants last week. Also very down - I think from not exercising. It is funny though even though I know I will feel better if I get my trainers on and start making my lunch the night before I still am sat on this sofa...:0(

It's so hard to find the motivation to restart after having a break...speaking from personal experience the longer you leave it the harder it gets.

Good luck!
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Where do we find this group?? I am really wondering if that is my problem. I have been working out intensely for several months, eating 1200 calories (mostly healthy with the occasional splurge) and really not budging...well, I will drop 5, gain back 3, drop 3 gain back 2 etc. It is getting ridiculous.

Here's the link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/3834-eat-more-to-weigh-less
  • Wendyerickson
    Wendyerickson Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    bump