37 Pounds Down (with Pics)

Options
kmm7309
kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
This is the first time I get to post pics and a success story, because I've never done this long enough to be successful. Some quick history:

-I have hypothyroidism and PCOS. Both of these disorders make weight gain easy and weight loss harder.
-I have been a big girl my whole life. I don't know what healthy looks like on me. I grew up in a really poor home where hamburger helper was a staple diet and I thought that Kraft Mac and Cheese was a vegetable. I had never seen or eaten any vegetables besides carrots, corn, peas, potatoes, and green beans (all out of cans or frozen bags) before I became an adult.
-Because of the PCOS, I struggle with fertility issues. I always thought that when a woman wants to have kids, she just had unprotected sex and got pregnant. I didn't know that one day a doctor would look me in the eyes and say I cannot have kids right now, no matter what I do. The doctor gave me this ultimatum: lose 50 pounds by the end of the year, and she'll write me a prescription for fertility medication if I am still not ovulating.
-I am 23 years old. I'm 5'3", and started at 269 pounds (my heaviest ever) on March 13th, 2012. Today, I weigh 232 pounds. I went on a modified diabetic diet (because PCOS causes insulin resistance) and I exercise 30-60 minutes a day, 6 days a week. I tried the shred, and I didn't do it consistently because I didn't like it too much. I picked up two sports: swimming and tennis. Because I LIKE what I'm doing, I am willing to get outside 6 days a week and work my butt off. When I started doing something I enjoy, the weight has really moved off.
-I love myfitnesspal, but I only use it for weight and measurement tracking, honestly. I keep a private food journal. I don't count calories or carbs. Instead, I worry about portion sizes and quality of food. A twinkie and an apple can have the same calories, but which one do you really think you should eat? I eat whole wheat breads and pastas, and make healthful changes. My favorite has been the Veggie Smart Pasta sauce I use, which provides 2 servings of veggies for every serving of sauce. I stay away from potatoes and fried things. Anyways, I keep my food journal on Excel and color code my food types (grains, proteins, veggies, fruits, dairy, and no value) so I have a snapshot idea of the type of food I am consuming. I liked mfp for tracking, but it was really hard to stay under 1200, and I felt like a failure when I saw the red numbers. This method helps me better understand what's going into my body and what value it has to me. On my log, I include my exercising, soda consumption (none in 2 months!), weight, and periods (because they have to be regular in order to be fertile).

Without further adieu, my before pictures:

MeandRoyce.jpg
fat+*kitten*+me.jpg
fat+me+2.jpg

And these are pictures within the last couple of weeks. Please, be gentle.

100_0750.JPG
100_0790.JPG

Hope this inspires you!

Replies

• Gumbie7
    Gumbie7 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    That's amazing congrats to you!!
  • Crumleygirl
    Crumleygirl Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    You look amazing and so young.
  • Gloriosa10
    Gloriosa10 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    no need to be gentle - you lokk GREAT and many congrats for your work so far. Keep on going, girl!!! :flowerforyou:
  • jayrdubya
    jayrdubya Posts: 12
    Options
    Congrats! I'm in the PCOS boat with you and know how difficult weight loss can be. Keep it up! You're doing awesome.
  • kmm7309
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I've just been nervous to do this because I still have so far to go.
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    You look great! Keep up the awesome work!
  • indisguise
    indisguise Posts: 235
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I've just been nervous to do this because I still have so far to go.

Well done - you look fantastic!
  • kmm7309
    Options
    Thank you!
  • niecyc23
    niecyc23 Posts: 402
    Options
    You look great and thanks for the motivation!!!
  • faefaith
    faefaith Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Congrats lady!!! You look great and I your smile is fantastic!!
  • Amryfal
    Amryfal Posts: 225
    Options
    thank you for posting - i'm in the same place right now (started at 269, down 35 lbs) and when i look in the mirror i can't see it. i know i needed smaller clothes, and other people tell me they notice, but i can't. looking at you and seeing the difference it makes for you and how amazing a job you're doing does inspire me!
  • kellyjohn79
    Options
    Fantastic - well done, keep it up ;o)
  • flisafakto
    flisafakto Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    That's so great! I can't believe you've come this far in such a short time, without even counting calories! You look great :)
  • mandiluv84
    mandiluv84 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    How awesome! Keep it up lady! :drinker:
  • j2tyco
    j2tyco Posts: 42
    Options
    thank you for posting this success- you started at about the same as me (I was 2 lbs higher) and are the same height so it is very inspiring to see what a difference 37 pounds will make--gives me lots of hope! Good luck in your fertility journey.
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! :drinker:
    You look great! I love the picture of you in the black and white dress.
  • ashley4336
    ashley4336 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You look amazing. An reading your story.. I have to say, I honestly have the same problem as you (PCOS) Imay be younger then you (18) but I know how hard it is to lose the weight. I know when I first tried to lose it before I found out about it, OMG was it hard !! Nothing helped for me untill my DR. gave me these pills to help me. And then I found out I also have gulstones, so I am forced onto a fat free diet, which has helped ALOT ! Im 5'3, was 196lb's, and Ive went down to 165lb's. But the hardest part is, yes trying to keep it off, and with me, Im not into sports, so makes it harder to find something to do to help me loes the weight and gain mucles.

But GREAT job ! Just wanted to say, I know how hard it is, and you look like your doing an amazing job !! :happy:
  • living_loving_laughing2013
    Options
    Way to lose the weight and stay motivated!! You look great!!
  • srelu
    srelu Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    cool , keep it up..WOW
  • om3guz
    om3guz Posts: 48
    Options
    Wow, congrats! You look great!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!