Going on a trip....I need help!

Options
I need a little help. I just started this journey after struggling with my weight for a long time. I have about 150 pounds to lose and have already lost 9. I am going to Chicago on Friday for a family reunion. I am nervous because this is all so new to me and I am just learning how to eat appropriate servings and make better decisions. My family is all about food, and I will be traveling, and I will be eating out!! How am I going to do this and not fall off the wagon. I am determined to make it work, but part of me wants to just stay home in the safety of my house with no temptations......Any advice would be great so that I can travel and still continue to be successful in this journey! :) Thank you!!!

Replies

• rvagnoni
    rvagnoni Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    bump
  • soontobesam
    soontobesam Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    The best thing to do if you know you will be eating out is to pull up the restaurants website and find the nutritional information.
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Personally I'd research some restaurants in the area. (Trip Advisor maybe)
    Then you can 'recommended' them having pre-checked out the menu and knowing a few choices that won't throw you off completely.

Also check out best options for each 'fast food' place. Whilst most of us would rather avoid them it always pays to know the 'best' choice at each of them when travelling, especially if long drives etc are involved.

For me this is a change of lifestyle (not a diet) and I do have some off days and weeks! But as long as I remember to pull it back in when the event etc is over then I'm happy. So most of all enjoy yourself and have a great time with your family (and log even if it does go pear shaped, then you can see where you could improve for future) xx
  • s12carney
    s12carney Posts: 11
    Options
    Take a cooler with some of your own healthy food...fruits, veggies, etc. Try to make the healthiest choices you can in restaurants. If you are able get walks in, by all means walk. Good luck, and if all else fails cut yourself some slack and get back on track as soon as you return.
  • Pilotgirl86
    Options
    You can start by trying to have lots of healthy salads for meals rather than just a burger and fries. Get grilled chicken instead of fried, opt for side salads instead of fries. Go for vinegarette dressings rather than creamy ones. Skip the croutons, tortillas, bacon & cheese on a salad.

If you get a burger, skip the mayo, cheese & bacon.

And most importantly with eating out, decide what you are going to eat before your plate arrives. Restaurant portions are way larger than what you should be eating in a single sitting. Remember that something the size of your thumb is roughly 1 oz, and the size of your first is close to 1 cup. So if you order a burger, just eat half, same thing goes with pastas.

For breakfasts, opt for turkey bacon or boiled rather than fried eggs. Try to get yogourt or fruit for breakfast and skip the white bread toast with butter. Oatmeal is an excellent breakfast food (especially if you can order it plain and add your own sweeteners etc) and it keeps you full for a long time. When I got out for breakfast with people I almost always order oatmeal, with yogourt and fruit, that way I get full and I also get a healthy breakfast.

Lastly, avoid the booze as much as possible, and if you are drinking, opt for clear alcohols (gin, rum, vodka) over darker ones, and definitely stay away from beer!
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,631 Member
    Options
    Lots of great advice already given. The most important is that this is a life style change, not diet, so you learn to fit it into what happens. When eating remember to chew slowly. Make sure to drink lots of water. If eating out, try to share with someone or only eat half. Logging will help. Also remember to move when you can. Even if just walking up and down stairs or around the block some.
    Most importantly, Enjoy the time with your family.

Welcome aboard and good luck on your journey.
  • smsgreaves
    smsgreaves Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    You can start by trying to have lots of healthy salads for meals rather than just a burger and fries. Get grilled chicken instead of fried, opt for side salads instead of fries. Go for vinegarette dressings rather than creamy ones. Skip the croutons, tortillas, bacon & cheese on a salad.

If you get a burger, skip the mayo, cheese & bacon.

And most importantly with eating out, decide what you are going to eat before your plate arrives. Restaurant portions are way larger than what you should be eating in a single sitting. Remember that something the size of your thumb is roughly 1 oz, and the size of your first is close to 1 cup. So if you order a burger, just eat half, same thing goes with pastas.

For breakfasts, opt for turkey bacon or boiled rather than fried eggs. Try to get yogourt or fruit for breakfast and skip the white bread toast with butter. Oatmeal is an excellent breakfast food (especially if you can order it plain and add your own sweeteners etc) and it keeps you full for a long time. When I got out for breakfast with people I almost always order oatmeal, with yogourt and fruit, that way I get full and I also get a healthy breakfast.

Lastly, avoid the booze as much as possible, and if you are drinking, opt for clear alcohols (gin, rum, vodka) over darker ones, and definitely stay away from beer!

Wow this is great advice!! Easier said than done when you're in an old environment, trust me, I know!!! Hang on to even a couple of these tips and you'll be ok. My hot tip (only 3 weeks in :wink: ) say no to hot chips!! Everything comes with chips where I'm from, and it's a small step towards a big change. GOOD LUCK!! Try and have fun, just remember don't let a bad weekend turn in to a bad week.
  • Dahllywood
    Dahllywood Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    How long is your trip?
    I just got back from several multi-week long trips. The key is to ENJOY IT. I didn't work out, but I made sure to keep my diet in check. With that said, I ate what I wanted when I wanted. You have to view this as a life change, not some vice grip that will be around you forever.

Cheers!
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Almost all rest. have nutrition info on their websites and a meal builder option... play around and create your meals ahead of time. Choose fish or salads whenever possible. Ask for steamed veggies with no oils or butters. Keep in mind that they add oils and butters to EVERYTHING and you have to ask for it without. I was a kitchen manager at Red Lobster for several years. EVERYTHING has added oil or butter. Avoid salad dressing and just go with vinegar unless their is a fat free option. Carry crystal light packets and add it to water instead of ordering soda.

There are tons of exercises you can do in your hotel room to burn calories.. jog in place, push ups, mountain climbers, core work, burpees, squats, lunges... take the time and do a few minutes of exercise each day. It'll keep you in routine. Walk from place to place, take the stairs instead of the elevators, enjoy the hotel swimming pool and check out the fitness center. Show your family what you know and encourage them to jump on board with you..

good luck!!!

Hezz
  • hll2465
    hll2465 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys so much for the great advice. I know that this is a lifestyle change, but at this point I am still learning how to live that lifestyle. I really just want to enjoy myself and the time with my family, and the trip is only four days. I think I am going to go shop tomorrow for some healthy snacks to keep in my fridge and then just try to make good choices and log my foods. I really appreciate all of the advice and support I have received here, it is so nice to talk to other people who understand what I am going through.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    My husband and I make rules when we travel (especially cruises) - 1) no carbs after 6 pm 2) walk as much as we can 3) if we are at a family gathering STAND as much as we can, 3) LOG our calories we are eating.

and most important - water, water, water. No soda.

Believe it or not,even my purse choice helps me not mindlessly eat.. carry a clutch purse if you are going to a family meal that is "buffet style"… hard to eat if you are standing and holding a purse.
  • raewood4
    raewood4 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I can relate, I travel about a week each month (1000 plus miles) and trips with family are more difficult (as there are emotions related to food - childhood memories, not wanting to seem like you don't like food a loved one made, etc).

For the actual trip: I buy snacks and know the calories beforehand (carrots, pretzel, special K bars, rice cakes, string cheese). You can find lists of 100 calorie snacks in these forums and they are similar to ones that you would get from a nutritionist and can be a life saver as far as ideas and keeping you from getting bored.

For meals: I prepare sandwiches with fat free cheese and mustard or soynut butter and jelly. I also look up the calories in meals at places I know I will find along the way (subway, starbucks, etc). Although I don't to this as much as I should, it helps to have the food on hand before you really get hungry. Especially when it might be another hour or two between your "healthy" options.

Once at home: I go to the store and buy what I know I can eat. My downfall has always been trying to eat what my family has on hand, which is often higher calorie and not what I'd want to eat anyway. I know some people also offer to cook meals for everyone to control what they are eating while, but I'm not much of a cook.

For eating out: I agree that it helps to pick out your food in advance based on the nutrition info in websites. This is also the one area I "try my best" but also allow myself to be human. I only go to restaurants for social occasions, so I allow myself a drink and eat some of the things I normally wouldn't when eating out (but I also choose not to have the bread, will pick a salad without dressing, grilled fish meal, etc). I also track everything - good or bad!

Generally, I have found that honestly entering all the calories into MFP really helps to think twice about those cookies mom made. I think portion control is harder with family (especially if they don't know proper portions), but it really does help me to remember to control my portions when I just can't turn down the biscuits for breakfast everyone else is having. If you eat slow enough, your family might not even notice you just had one serving in the same time they had three.

Have safe travels!
  • elliott82
    elliott82 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I would also suggest taking some healthy travel snacks with you so if you're stuck in an airport or in the car, you have something on hand to eat instead of binging on something because it was there. luna bars, pieces of fruit, a bag of nuts or your own trail mix. hopefully these can also keep you from eating too much when you get to a meal.
  • GlitterMamma11
    GlitterMamma11 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Just track your food the best you can! I bet seeing it in print will help make you want to make better choices.