Replies

• contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    My favorite are the people who follow a Paleo diet but drink alcohol. LOL
  • VegesaurusRex
    VegesaurusRex Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Ah, the well-trod ground of the "Are humans omnivores, herbivores, or carnivores?" debate. Older than hippies and more soundly blogged than nearly any other topic in the veganosphere (I just love that word and I think it sounds like something out of Flash Gordon, i.e. badass.), this question is like The Thunderdome of Vegan arguments. Serious business. Now, let's make one thing perfectly clear. "Omnivore" does NOT mean "creature that can eat an utterly carnivorous OR an utterly herbivorous diet naturally and be perfectly healthy." An omnivore is simply an opportunistic feeder, an organism that is well-suited for eating a bit of this and a bit of that, catch as catch can. Therefore, the argument that "Well, if humans were truly omnivores we would be able to eat a totally carnivorous diet but we can't so WE MUST BE HERBIVORES" is absurd. Besides, some people out there honestly seem to be doing just fine on a Paleo, Keto, or Zero Carb diet. Please look at this for what it is–for every ten people dying of clogged arteries from too many cheeseburgers, there are one or two subsisting on little more than lean meats and apparently doing just fine…and, for every healthy, happy Robert Cheeke out there, there are two or three very ill-seeming vegans.

Fellow vegans. I adore you. I do. But arguing that humans are "natural herbivores" really, really makes us all look foolish. Every time I hear the "Look at these grinding teeth and that long digestive tract and blah blah blah we are clearly herbivores," argument coming from a vegan, I wince in despair.

As a fellow vegan, I do not want to be the cause of your dispair. However, my argument is not what you said above. Just for clarification, I believe we are OBLIGATE HERBIVORES, for a very simple reason: Studies show that eating meat for humans is correlated with chronic diseases, such as cancer and heart disease. Just as cats will suffer retinal degeneration unless they get taurine, which to the best of my knowledge is only found in meat, so humans will get occluded arteries by eating meat. Just as some cats can survive without damage on a vegetarian diet, some humans can survive without damage on a meat centered diet. As an anthropologist you are probably familiar with Inuit and Lapplander cultures, where I believe genetic isolation has effectively created groups of humans not suseptible to diseases of meat eating. However, for humans in general, meat eating (at more than 70g per week, according to a recent British study) is harmful, just as for cats in general, a diet absent in taurine is harmful. Further, I understand your definition of Omnivore, which is a fairly standard definition, but I dislike and never use that definition, since by objective standards, bears (class carnivora) would be considered omnivores, as would just about every other living thing on the planet. The definition is so broad as to be meaningless.
  • PittShkr
    PittShkr Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    Ah, the well-trod ground of the "Are humans omnivores, herbivores, or carnivores?" debate. Older than hippies and more soundly blogged than nearly any other topic in the veganosphere (I just love that word and I think it sounds like something out of Flash Gordon, i.e. badass.), this question is like The Thunderdome of Vegan arguments. Serious business. Now, let's make one thing perfectly clear. "Omnivore" does NOT mean "creature that can eat an utterly carnivorous OR an utterly herbivorous diet naturally and be perfectly healthy." An omnivore is simply an opportunistic feeder, an organism that is well-suited for eating a bit of this and a bit of that, catch as catch can. Therefore, the argument that "Well, if humans were truly omnivores we would be able to eat a totally carnivorous diet but we can't so WE MUST BE HERBIVORES" is absurd. Besides, some people out there honestly seem to be doing just fine on a Paleo, Keto, or Zero Carb diet. Please look at this for what it is–for every ten people dying of clogged arteries from too many cheeseburgers, there are one or two subsisting on little more than lean meats and apparently doing just fine…and, for every healthy, happy Robert Cheeke out there, there are two or three very ill-seeming vegans.

Fellow vegans. I adore you. I do. But arguing that humans are "natural herbivores" really, really makes us all look foolish. Every time I hear the "Look at these grinding teeth and that long digestive tract and blah blah blah we are clearly herbivores," argument coming from a vegan, I wince in despair.

As a fellow vegan, I do not want to be the cause of your dispair. However, my argument is not what you said above. Just for clarification, I believe we are OBLIGATE HERBIVORES, for a very simple reason: Studies show that eating meat for humans is correlated with chronic diseases, such as cancer and heart disease. Just as cats will suffer retinal degeneration unless they get taurine, which to the best of my knowledge is only found in meat, so humans will get occluded arteries by eating meat. Just as some cats can survive without damage on a vegetarian diet, some humans can survive without damage on a meat centered diet. As an anthropologist you are probably familiar with Inuit and Lapplander cultures, where I believe genetic isolation has effectively created groups of humans not suseptible to diseases of meat eating. However, for humans in general, meat eating (at more than 70g per week, according to a recent British study) is harmful, just as for cats in general, a diet absent in taurine is harmful. Further, I understand your definition of Omnivore, which is a fairly standard definition, but I dislike and never use that definition, since by objective standards, bears (class carnivora) would be considered omnivores, as would just about every other living thing on the planet. The definition is so broad as to be meaningless.

Eat meat- get sick, cancer, blah blah,
    Eat Vegetables - get sick, cancer , blah blah,

Every person is different and handles food in a different way. Humans are biologically Omnivores! PERIOD. If we were not, When i eat this slab of bacon i would get sick...right?.... but i dont! The human body can digest meat, grains, vegetables, and other food items properly without consequences.

The reason people have associated cancer and heart disease with meat is because sitting down and eating a preservative filled fat whopper from BK or a triple quarter pounder is not healthy thinking or eating. Everything you have tried to explain for some reason has the words: some cats.... and where your personal opinion has saying... your personal opinion has no weight behind it other than the fact that you yourself are a vegan defending your ways.
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    I don't care how anyone eats, but don't say you're eating like Paleolithic man if you plan on having pancakes for breakfast and paleo cheesecake for dessert. My only real problem with that diet (besides the fact that I love oats and bread) is the name.
  • PittShkr
    Options
    I don't care how anyone eats, but don't say you're eating like Paleolithic man if you plan on having pancakes for breakfast and paleo cheesecake for dessert. My only real problem with that diet (besides the fact that I love oats and bread) is the name.

YAY thanks. I agree!
  • PittShkr
    Options
    And please refrain from quoting the same posts that you have posted over.... and over......and over.....and over... in other topics! Get some new information from new sources and hopefully you will realize that you look like an *kitten* by requoting over .... and over......and over.....and over...the same thing!
  • Blaqheart
    Blaqheart Posts: 235
    Options
    3. The modern world has provided us with unprecidented opportunity to eat meat, and the meat is poisoned. Fractory farming and government subsidies have made meat cheaper than bread in some places. People eat lots of meat three times per day or even more. Thus we have a population where many young people look like puffed up caricatures of what a human being is supposed to look like. Obesity and diabetes are plagues. Healthwise, modern diet is unsustainable. Fish are full of mercury and heavy metals. Chicken are full of hormones and antibiotics. What totally amazes me is that meat eaters buy this poison and eat it. Even if I ate meat, I wouldn't touch that crap. Not to mention how cruel factory farming is. Concentration camps for innocent animals. What pigs human beings are. (Sorry, I don't mean to insult pigs.) Anyway, I digress, and I think that here I may be preaching to the choir.

This is why we must get back to letting REAL farmers do what they do best - farm. If our food was raised by actual farmers and not gov it would be healthier and the animals would be cared for instead of abused. (Gov subs are going for all grains not meat now). The heavier the animal the more money per head. This is why they fill them full of drugs most not for human consumption! I eat meat but nothing cafo ever! I have a high requirement for meat according to my Nutritional Type. When I eat less meat I don't feel so good and I begin to rapidly lose weight.

Try this:
    http://www.mercola.com/Nutritionplan/index.htm

it might help. He has an actual NT test to find out what your type is. Get it and take it. It really helped me find what I should and shouldn't eat for my type and body. I had allergies I didn't even know I had. Once I eliminated them I felt better.

As far as Paleo I have no idea how anyone would know exactly what the ancestors had eaten unless they found some evidence in sites. The only "cave man" ever unearthed was Utzi (sp) from Italy. We did learn a few things about him, but diet I don't believe was one of those things. More than likely we simply ate for our region we happened to be in at the time. This changed greatly over the years because we were all nomads at one time or another.
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options

Eat meat- get sick, cancer, blah blah,
    Eat Vegetables - get sick, cancer , blah blah,

Every person is different and handles food in a different way. Humans are biologically Omnivores! PERIOD. If we were not, When i eat this slab of bacon i would get sick...right?.... but i dont! The human body can digest meat, grains, vegetables, and other food items properly without consequences.

The reason people have associated cancer and heart disease with meat is because sitting down and eating a preservative filled fat whopper from BK or a triple quarter pounder is not healthy thinking or eating. Everything you have tried to explain for some reason has the words: some cats.... and where your personal opinion has saying... your personal opinion has no weight behind it other than the fact that you yourself are a vegan defending your ways.

Okay, this will be my last post on the subject, but I profoundly disagree with you. I have yet to see, read or even hear of a single study that shows eating vegetables is correlated with chronic diseases. Yet there are literally thousands of studies that show such a correlation with meat eating. Do all humans eventually die of somethng? Well, duh yeah. But you die a lot faster if you eat things you were not designed to eat. I have studied anthropology and classical archeology quite a bit, and I disagree with a number of their current sacred cows, particularly their prevalent cultural relativism, and their definitiion of Omnivore. As Carlton Coon once said (I got one degree from the University of Pennsylvania) "They (the neolithic group he was referring to at the time) are, after all, just a bunch of savages." Coon probably would have agreed with you on the definition of Omnivore, however. I call it like I see it. Bears are not omnivores, they are carnivores. Period. End of story.
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options
    3. The modern world has provided us with unprecidented opportunity to eat meat, and the meat is poisoned. Fractory farming and government subsidies have made meat cheaper than bread in some places. People eat lots of meat three times per day or even more. Thus we have a population where many young people look like puffed up caricatures of what a human being is supposed to look like. Obesity and diabetes are plagues. Healthwise, modern diet is unsustainable. Fish are full of mercury and heavy metals. Chicken are full of hormones and antibiotics. What totally amazes me is that meat eaters buy this poison and eat it. Even if I ate meat, I wouldn't touch that crap. Not to mention how cruel factory farming is. Concentration camps for innocent animals. What pigs human beings are. (Sorry, I don't mean to insult pigs.) Anyway, I digress, and I think that here I may be preaching to the choir.

This is why we must get back to letting REAL farmers do what they do best - farm. If our food was raised by actual farmers and not gov it would be healthier and the animals would be cared for instead of abused. (Gov subs are going for all grains not meat now). The heavier the animal the more money per head. This is why they fill them full of drugs most not for human consumption! I eat meat but nothing cafo ever! I have a high requirement for meat according to my Nutritional Type. When I eat less meat I don't feel so good and I begin to rapidly lose weight.

Try this:

it might help. He has an actual NT test to find out what your type is. Get it and take it. It really helped me find what I should and shouldn't eat for my type and body. I had allergies I didn't even know I had. Once I eliminated them I felt better.

As far as Paleo I have no idea how anyone would know exactly what the ancestors had eaten unless they found some evidence in sites. The only "cave man" ever unearthed was Utzi (sp) from Italy. We did learn a few things about him, but diet I don't believe was one of those things. More than likely we simply ate for our region we happened to be in at the time. This changed greatly over the years because we were all nomads at one time or another.

The contents of Ortzi's stomach was analyzed and found to be meat from a recent kill. This proves nothing except what Ortzi's last meal was. Since Ortzi was killed by an arrow, this was very clearly a hunting culture.

Many sites from Meso America, Northern Europe to Mesopotamia have yielded some evidence of Paleolitic diet. Grasses, acorns and red ocre, among other things have been found, along with grains such as barley and corn. and animal remains. Clearly in Mesopotamia, hunter gatherer civilization developed as the culture moved in to the Neolithic. Both cultivation of grains and herding of animals took place. Hence, I find that the Paleo avoidance of grains is truly bazarre.
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Very interesting post. Thanks for sharing!

What I don't understand about the Paleo diet is why someone would want to eat like cavemen that only lived to be 40.

Also, I believe in modern days in a first world country and all our abundance of healthy fruits, nuts & veggies that provide all the nutrition we need, there is no need to kill other living creatures for survival as it was years ago.

However, I think the Paleo diet that promotes grass-fed meat is a step up since it helps reduce the huge problem of the suffering of factory-farmed animals even if that isn't their intention. It is healthi-er than eating the diseased factory-farmed animals pumped full of hormones and pesticides from their feed, etc., even though they still have the clogged artery issue that only happens when you eat animals.
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options

What I don't understand about the Paleo diet is why someone would want to eat like cavemen that only lived to be 40.

Also, I believe in modern days in a first world country and all our abundance of healthy fruits, nuts & veggies that provide all the nutrition we need, there is no need to kill other living creatures for survival as it was years ago.

However, I think the Paleo diet that promotes grass-fed meat is a step up since it helps reduce the huge problem of the suffering of factory-farmed animals even if that isn't their intention. It is healthi-er than eating the diseased factory-farmed animals pumped full of hormones and pesticides from their feed, etc., even though they still have the clogged artery issue that only happens when you eat animals.

You could not be more right. Also from the poster who suggested a nutritiional site:

"Try this:

it might help. He has an actual NT test to find out what your type is. Get it and take it. It really helped me find what I should and shouldn't eat for my type and body. I had allergies I didn't even know I had. Once I eliminated them I felt better."

Thanks I also thought that advice was good, and while I do not follow it completely, I do recognize that it is on track.
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options

You could not be more right. Also from the poster who suggested a nutritiional site:

"Try this:

it might help. He has an actual NT test to find out what your type is. Get it and take it. It really helped me find what I should and shouldn't eat for my type and body. I had allergies I didn't even know I had. Once I eliminated them I felt better."

Thanks I also thought that advice was good, and while I do not follow it completely, I do recognize that it is on track.

Yeah I did the test years ago and have his book. The important thing is for people to listen to their body and do what makes them feel good. :)
  • runlaugheatpie
    runlaugheatpie Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    meh. I don't really care if something is historically or scientifically proven. What I do know is that I've started eating loosely based originally on the Paleo diet and not only did I break through a 2.5 year (yes, YEAR) plateau (and feel free to read through my blog if you think I just wasn't trying hard enough), but I sleep better, I feel better and I have more energy. At this stage I eat almost no wheat products, no soy, no legumes - though I have probably had wheat 5 times and beans 3 times since February. The black beans I ate seem to have processed better than the bread/pasta I've had.

I don't criticise people whose diet consists of all pre-packaged, fast food, or convenience food. That's their choice.

Regardless I would be a meat eater. I like meat and try to buy at least 50% organic/local of what my household consumes (including fresh dairy and eggs, but easy enough for me I live near a whole bunch of farms in the Netherlands). Unfortunately I have to make choices with the Euros I get from my employer every month.

Oh yeah and I have red wine every weekend. Sue me ;-)
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    This is interesting reading. I'm not sure what the point of this post is. I couldn't tell. But, I read it all up to this point. I was searching for this topic becasue I have interest in this, although, I am beginning to quickly reject the idea for a very simple reason. In the way I think, Paleolithic man did not choose their diet. I doubt they were even healthy, since they all died at age 30, or whatever. I'm sure they would have been really happy to have a bag of rice hanging around to cook up when they ran short of food to eat.

So, I am rejecting it due to it's silly-ness. If the paleo man chose their diet, than I would have respect for it. But, because we now have shipping vessels and a world market, I can choose other options, like pasta or rice or other foods that have benefits for my body.

I do reject all processed foods as much as possible. But, don't get mad at me if I have a can of tuna for lunch.

Edited to add: I like the idea though. It helps me focus a little bit on my diet. When I reach for something in a bag, I will think twice about what a caveman might choose. I'm being serious, in a silly way. Just eat wholesome natural foods. Simple enough.
  • herownkindofwonderfull
    herownkindofwonderfull Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    bump to read later.
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options
    This is interesting reading. I'm not sure what the point of this post is. I couldn't tell. But, I read it all up to this point. I was searching for this topic becasue I have interest in this, although, I am beginning to quickly reject the idea for a very simple reason. In the way I think, Paleolithic man did not choose their diet. I doubt they were even healthy, since they all died at age 30, or whatever. I'm sure they would have been really happy to have a bag of rice hanging around to cook up when they ran short of food to eat.

So, I am rejecting it due to it's silly-ness. If the paleo man chose their diet, than I would have respect for it. But, because we now have shipping vessels and a world market, I can choose other options, like pasta or rice or other foods that have benefits for my body.

I do reject all processed foods as much as possible. But, don't get mad at me if I have a can of tuna for lunch.

Edited to add: I like the idea though. It helps me focus a little bit on my diet. When I reach for something in a bag, I will think twice about what a caveman might choose. I'm being serious, in a silly way. Just eat wholesome natural foods. Simple enough.

I agree with most of what you said, in particular with respect to the Paleo diet. There are some severe problems with the whole concept:

1. First of all, no one knows what the Paleolithic diet was. There is no reason to believe that it was the same everywhere, any more than people's diet today is the same everywhere. I believe you are correct in saying they ate whatever didn't eat them first.

2. You are also correct in saying that Paleolithic man did not live to a ripe old age. That being the case, the chronic diseases of old age were not a factor for Paleolithic man because they died before these diseases came into play. As a result of dying young, we really do not know how their diet would have affected them had they lived byond 35 or 40.

3. Even if you wanted to, you probably could not reconstruct the Paleolitic diet. How many wooly mamouth steaks have you seen in the supermarket lately?

4. Exercise for Paleolitic man was a huge part of his life. He probably spent most of his waking hours looking for food, or trying to avoid danger. Is this really the lifestyle you want?

I think if you want to put together a diet that is optimal for the modern age, use studies on different diets and opinions of medical experts. In my opinion, a wholesome vegetarian diet is the optimal diet based on both studies of chronic diseases and the opinions of medical experts. The Paleo diet, as I understand it is a meat centered diet. I do not see how that can work long term.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Why is it silly to follow the principals of a diet though?

We all do it in some way, some push grains out of their diet and call themselves Paleo. Some follow the national guidelines, some avoid meat and call themselves Vegetarian, what does it matter, it all ends up being calories in calories out and what we chose to put in our bodies is our choice.
  • RussianLynx
    Options
    Do all humans eventually die of somethng? Well, duh yeah. But you die a lot faster if you eat things you were not designed to eat.

That is basically the logic behind the Paleo Diet.

I get really sick if I eat grains or dairy, but that doesn't mean I think the Paleo Diet is the answer for everyone.

I don't find the diet to be "meat-centered" at all. I find the vast majority of what I eat is vegetables. Just saying.
  • ESVABelle
    ESVABelle Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Jaw Motion
    Human: No shear; good side-to-side, front-to-back

Amen?!
  • the4grows
    the4grows Posts: 2
    Options
    I have found that blending the weight watchers core food idea with the ideas of the paleo diet I am less hungry and can eat more food for the calories I allow myself. I also count calories here using this ap and exercise daily or more often. I will eat grains or beans if I have to but I don't as much as possible because I can eat many more calories and feel less hungry. My splurge is generally a 100 calorie ice cream bar after dinner but other than that it's lean meats and fish and fresh veggies and fruit. NOT ATKINS. I do have to eat processed (canned tuna or pouches of salmon weekly because of convenience). I love the ap on here because it shows me how much protein I am eating and helps me keep my carbs low. If I get to the point where I am training for a marathon then I might introduce some grains into my diet but it's suiting me right now. Some Paleo people are hardcore but I live in a small town and it doesn't work for me to try to find grass fed, wild, cage free everything.

I am losing weight, I do have energy and I do feel pretty great. Works for me. Always looking for yummy food options without sugar or starchy carbs.