Snacks I Bring to Work

Options
2»

Replies

• cattiemac
    cattiemac Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    For snacks I like popcorn, fruit, rice cakes or wasa crackers with hummus, fibre 1 bars, Blue Diamond nut thins, Kashi TLC crackers, organic tortilla chips with hummus or salsa. The list could go on ....
  • mavsfan2009
    mavsfan2009 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I work out at Lifetime fitness and they have a cafe where they have quinoa on the menu...I saw it mentioned earlier...but I have no idea what it is...can you tell me?? :embarassed:

I always bring multigrain cheerios (I as well, can't stand milk in my cereal..or milk in general) and eat them dry. I like the Kashi Summer Berry granola mixed with yogurt. Be careful, though...the granola isn't low calorie but is good for you.

I like 100 calorie pack oreo thins for my sweet tooth after I eat lunch.

Cut up veggies and fruit...I especially like cucumbers and jicama. Srinkle any spicy flavored spice (if that makes sense) on jicama and it is GREAT...I use a brand that you can only buy in Mexico and I don't know what it's called:(

Pumpkin seeds - its the perfect time of the year for them!

Almonds
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Qunioa is a grain (in fact it's the only compleate protein in a grain). I'm a vegetarian and it's a staple of my diet due to the high protein content and it has all the essential amino acids. It's very similar to amaranth (try this too, it's very tasty). Quinoa is cooked very much like rice (two cups water, 1 cup quonia-simmer for about 17-18 minutes).
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options
    Cut up veggies and fruit...I especially like cucumbers and jicama. Srinkle any spicy flavored spice (if that makes sense) on jicama and it is GREAT...I use a brand that you can only buy in Mexico and I don't know what it's called:(

Pumpkin seeds - its the perfect time of the year for them!

I love jicama-most people have never heard of it. Being a veghead I have probably eaten more fruits, veggies, and grains than most people have ever had, lol. Do you like daikon (japanese raddish)?-so tasty with a little salt and pepper or lemon juice...my mouth is watering.
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    I love jicama too! didn't know they sold that in the US.
  • mavsfan2009
    Options
    I've never had diakon. I see it at the grocery store all the time, but have never had it. I'll have to try it. I'm craving jicama now, though. You're right - most people have never heard of it. I go to Mexico with my boyfriend to work at an orphange (I live in Texas so its not TOO far away) and one of my favorite things, besides the kids there of course, is the traditional Mexican snacks. They have stands on the streets that sell cups of fruits and veggies like jicama, cucumber, carrott, and pineapple drizzled with chile sauce and lime juice. SOOO delicious! Helotes are also delicious..but EXTREMELY unhealthy. I don't know why I even mentioned it, haha.
  • mavsfan2009
    Options
    Yes, they do! At least in Texas they do. I get it at HEB, Central Market, or Kroger. I know they don't have HEB outside of Texas (you're really missing out)...but I think they have other stores that carry it.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options
    I love jicama too! didn't know they sold that in the US.

I get mine at Publix (my Publix has a lot of 'gourmet' items that are hard to find in other stores).
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    hey linz...I was actually thinking of your post last week when I made this post!
    What is the difference between greek yogurt and regular yogurt? Taste differences? I've wanted to try it, but I haven't found any in "smaller" sizes!

Greek yogurt is a lot thicker than regular yogurt...kind of like sour cream. It has a lot more protein than regular yogurt as well. You can actually use it in recipes that call for sour cream.

I really like the Fage Total 0% brand and then I add a tablespoon of honey.

so do you ever eat it plain or do you typically add either honey or fruits and things?? and is greek yogurt organic yogurt?

Not all greek yogurt is organic. It's very thick and tart. If you're used to eating the sugar laden crap it'll be a shock the first time you eat it. I also like the Fage 0% but strawberry or blueberry because it's a bit sweeter and more palateble.

I usually have:
    greek yogurt
    almonds
    carrots
    prunes
    left over quinoa or brown rice

Sounds great, I think I'm going to give it a try. I actually can't stand yogurt because it is too sweet for me. I've tried Yoplait, Activa, Fit N Good....all of them...and I can't eat it because it is too much. Maybe this will help. I love adding fresh fruit to yogurt, so I think I'll have to try it!!

Thanks everyone for all the great snacks!!! I'm hoping to be able to switch up my snacks each day to give myself a variety!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I wanted to start a thread to see what types of healthy snacks everyone likes to bring to work/school/trips...or even something easy at home. I figured this could help some of us out who have a hard time thinking of what to bring with us to work. Such as ME!

:happy: I have the following to start off...

Frigo Light Cheese = 60 cals
    Emeral natural almonds (100 calorie pack) = 100 cals
    6 Ritz whole wheat crackers & 1oz mozz cheese = 170 cals
    carrots & 1 TBSP hummus = 60 cals
    apple & 1 TBSP PB = 160 cals
    1/4 c. whole wheat Chex + 1 TBSP peanuts + 1 TBSP craisins = 172 cals
    3/4 c. dry Special K fruit n' yogurt = 120 cals

and of course fruits...oranges, bananas, grapes, strawberries...etc.

it's scary how close this is to my snacks.
    Difference?

no chex, no special K no Ritz
    instead I bring
    Carb control lite n fit yourt
    1 serving of whole wheat snyders honey wheat pretzels
    low sodium v8
    sometimes on the way to work I'll have a baggy of Newman's Own
    Sweet Enough Honey Flax Flakes Cereal
  • tanya7712
    tanya7712 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I usually have a dannon light and fit yogurt as a morning snack - 80 calories
    and for a afternoon snack I have a fruit. Recently I have been having 2 clementines - 78 calories

-Tanya
  • vanimami
    vanimami Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    You guys are giving me good ideas! I'm going shopping onmy lunch hour so I can get snacks! I usually have:

Wasa Crackers
    Fruit (banana or apples mainly)
    snack cheese
    steam fresh veggies (green giant)
    Fiber bars or low sugar protein bars
    veggies (cucumbers, sugar snap peas, etc)
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    Ann's House Good Health Energy (a mix of soy nuts, cranberries, almonds and pumpkin seeds) - I get it at Wal-Mart... 150 cals for 1/4 cup - as long as I pre-measure, I can't go wrong.. so yummy!
  • guamchar
    guamchar Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    For my morning snack I eat an apple and 100 calorie pack of almonds.
    Afternoon snack I eat greek yogurt.

I've always wanted to try greek yoghurt but dunno where to buy it? store and aisle?

You can but it at almost any grocery store. I know Walmart carries it and it's beside the other yogurt in the refrigerated dairy aisle. (I love regular yogurt, but I'm not a fan of Greek. It definitely has a different taste and consistency than regular yogurt.)