sensitive people

Options
foxyforce
foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
is anyone on here super sensitive.

for example, you get called a name or treated a certain way and you start to feel that way about yourself

"you are fat" so you feel fatter than you already did.

Replies

• foxyforce
    Options
    if anyone else needs help flexing their self-esteem muscle:

http://www.spiritwire.com/selfesteemtips.html
  • Jezebel9
    Jezebel9 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I think self esteem is an ongoing thing that is made by the thoughts we think about ourselves and the things others tell us. When the self esteem is strong, if someone says I am fat, I can laugh it off.
    When my self esteem is low, I am vulnerable and weak, and it can hurt me.
    There are a lot of vulnerable people here, trying hard to get stronger in so many ways.

Just my thoughts on the matter.
    Peace~
    8)
  • SVCat
    SVCat Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I was actually very sensitive and I didn't even know it up until after my divorce. It took a whole of crap for me to realize just how much I was that way. Once I realized though, I was able to deflect a lot of the things that I would interpret as "critizism" towards me and was able to either ask what that person meant or just shrug it off as insignificant.

Whats crazy is that I worked in some pretty crazy places where I faced a lot of threats and put downs and never did any of that stuff faze me, but when it came to loved ones, I was extremely so.
  • foxyforce
    Options
    I was actually very sensitive and I didn't even know it up until after my divorce. It took a whole of crap for me to realize just how much I was that way. Once I realized though, I was able to deflect a lot of the things that I would interpret as "critizism" towards me and was able to either ask what that person meant or just shrug it off as insignificant.

Whats crazy is that I worked in some pretty crazy places where I faced a lot of threats and put downs and never did any of that stuff faze me, but when it came to loved ones, I was extremely so.

maybe you internalized it but knew you had to act professionally, then you get home and the professionalism goes out the window. i find my "friends" just make nasty comments to me, and i am slowly running out of them. which is tough cause i don't wanna isolate myself.
  • jyuubi
    jyuubi Posts: 109
    Options
    I'm sensitive when it comes to my boyfriend. Usually anything he says hits me harder than anything else. Of course, he doesn't mean it, we all have our moments of anger, and i do the same to him, but it's only with him that I find myself incredibly over sensitive. When it comes to strangers I couldn't care less. They don't know me.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I think self esteem is an ongoing thing that is made by the thoughts we think about ourselves and the things others tell us.

Definitely this.

There are days where I am strong and want to kick butt. And other days I struggle a lot.
  • delightful_low
    Options
    I'm extremely sensitive, always have been. I think about it a lot, why I care so much about what other people think about me or have to say, and I always tell myself I'm going to start not caring. Never works out like that. It doesn't have to be meant as an insult for me to take it that way.

Ugh, I'm just like my mother :P.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Im not sensitive at all. My family is insanely blunt. By the time I hit my teens years I had problems wth my foot living in my mouth because I couldnt wrap my head around how sensitive other people can be.
  • blackmagic10
    blackmagic10 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I'm fat as *kitten* but its ok lol just don't tell me i'm fat because all cry
  • TitanGM
    TitanGM Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    i have emotions, but i save them for worthy people who have better judgement, and know me well in a personal level. Would be too naive from me if I were to take for real any single word someone in here who don't have any idea of who I am.
  • sktllmdrhmz
    sktllmdrhmz Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    It hurts my feelings when people think my willy is small...
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I've always been sensitive. I have an anxiety disorder and one of my triggers is confrontation so that's partly why. When you've always been made fun of for being overweight growing up it tends to bring down your self-esteem and that's a hard thing to re-build too. Being sensitive also makes me more empathetic I think, and spawns my creative side more since I can delve deep into different emotions and channel them into my writing.
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Hm... Feeling super sensitive tonight over words unspoken. I will be honest. I'm a highly emotional woman! LOL

I'm fairly confident to be honest, but of course, I have my insecurities. I take to heart what loved ones have to say to me or about me. My mother is one. I love the woman. I REALLY do, but one of my visits home she told me I looked fat. Mind you, when she said this to me, I was in a size 14 and I was once a size 24. She made me feel like crap. She's told me multiple times to have plastic surgery and she'll pay for half of a tummy tuck for me. Love the woman, but she irks my nerves
  • EuroReady
    EuroReady Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I am ridiculously sensitive about everything. To make matters worse, when I get angry my tear ducts betray me and I start crying, so I LOOK a lot more sensitive than I already am. It ruins my street cred, I'm tellin' yah.
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I am ridiculously sensitive about everything. To make matters worse, when I get angry my tear ducts betray me and I start crying, so I LOOK a lot more sensitive than I already am. It ruins my street cred, I'm tellin' yah.

^^this^^
    i cry also when i'm really angry. and THAT makes me angry. haha
  • CarolinaGirlinVA
    CarolinaGirlinVA Posts: 1,512 Member
    Options
    I was reading a book called "Living Successfully with Screwed Up People" and it said the comments made by those closest to us will hurt the most because we DO care what they think. Someone I don't know can say something nasty about me, I feel a little bad because I feel like they don't know the real me. But when my husband puts me down, it tears my heart up.

I know I am sensitive. I know I have self esteem issues. I think that is just a part of my personality I will always have. I can't help how I feel, but I can control how I react. Usually. :ohwell:
  • adbohls
    adbohls Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Im not sensitive at all. My family is insanely blunt. By the time I hit my teens years I had problems wth my foot living in my mouth because I couldnt wrap my head around how sensitive other people can be.

I've known a couple people like this. It seems as if you are starting to realize this and that's good. I just wish the ones I knew who are like this could also see the light and start to remove their feet from their mouths. Thanks for being so blunt. It really helped me understand them.

Also, I'm a sensitive person, but am trying to not let things get to me so much. When I mess up, I become very hard on myself and struggle with the fact that it's impossible for me to be perfect no matter how hard I try.
  • CarolinaGirlinVA
    CarolinaGirlinVA Posts: 1,512 Member
    Options
    It hurts my feelings when people think my willy is small...

So stop showing everyone! :tongue:
  • foxyforce
    Options

^^this^^
    i cry also when i'm really angry. and THAT makes me angry. haha

i just did this which sparked this post. thankfully my friend sent me a nasty msg on facebook and not in person.
  • foxyforce
    Options
    I was reading a book called "Living Successfully with Screwed Up People" and it said the comments made by those closest to us will hurt the most because we DO care what they think. Someone I don't know can say something nasty about me, I feel a little bad because I feel like they don't know the real me. But when my husband puts me down, it tears my heart up.

I know I am sensitive. I know I have self esteem issues. I think that is just a part of my personality I will always have. I can't help how I feel, but I can control how I react. Usually. :ohwell:

do you recommend? i am gonna check it out