What kind of dog should I get?

Options
Ok so I want to get a dog... I would really like to find one that I can run with. The problem is that I live in an apartment so I can't get a big dog cause that wouldn't be fair to the dog. I plan on exericising this puppy though! I was looking at maybe a border collie beagle mix, they are medium sized I think, what do you guys think? Anyone have a great dog, oh and I want it to be able to be house trained! Thanks MFP!

~Leash :heart:

Replies

• iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    We're planning on getting a Beagle in the Spring, and I plan on running with him/her :smile:
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    maybe a cocker spaniel
  • neenaleigh
    neenaleigh Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    jack russells are always ready for a walk, small and compact, but brave enough to guard you! :bigsmile:
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    Thanks Kelynn! Do they bark a lot though? Oh and I'm starting gluten free today!

• VballLeash
    Options
    maybe a cocker spaniel

Don't cocker spaniels have a lot of hair? They are really cute though!

• michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    We're planning on getting a Beagle in the Spring, and I plan on running with him/her :smile:

If you want to run, don't get a beagle. I have one and she stops to sniff everything constantly!
  • McFatterton
    McFatterton Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    A goldendoodle!!! Take a look at my picture - how could you pass up that face!?

Obviously, mine would be a little too big for you, but there are miniature goldendoodles as well. Or a ****-a-poo - those are small and adorable!

oops - didn't think about that being a bad word - shame on me!

cocker spaniel - poodle mix :wink:
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    Options
    maybe a cocker spaniel

Don't cocker spaniels have a lot of hair? They are really cute though!

you could keep them trim .... my mom has one and she is a lover ..... and not big
  • VballLeash
    Options

Obviously, mine would be a little too big for you, but there are miniature goldendoodles as well. Or a ****-a-poo - those are small and adorable!

OMG how cute! But he has a lot of hair,I don' think I can keep that clean...
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    Options
    you could get a poodle ... or a ****z zoo (sp?)
  • Simone32
    Options
    Get a rescued adolescent aged american pit bull terrier. There are tons in the shelter right now and most around a few months are already on their way to being house trained. I have two that I run with. They have both learned to run right beside me and my little one is only 40lbs.
  • ShellyLee
    ShellyLee Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Border collies are generally HIGH energy.. and beagles can be loud (not very kind to the close neighbors). I've got two dogs. I have a pembroke corgi, great dog LOVE her, but definitely not into going running with me lol. I also have an Australian shepard, who I think if I'd been a runner earlier in life would love to go with me.. but as he wasn't he mostly tries to trip me up. Both of these dogs are herding breeds, very smart, and again can be high energy and since they are smart they will find things to entertain themselves when bored (but this really goes for ALL dogs). That said mine aren't any of these things.. they are lazy, sleep all day, and are well behaved. I think if you've got plenty of time to spend and train that an Australian shepard might work for you (or Aussie mix). They're medium sized dogs, have plenty of energy. Mine has lived in houses and condos.. he's adapted to both. They do shed quite a bit though!

Just make sure you look into the breed(s) before deciding on what to get. There are some amazing dogs that go through the shelter because people don't learn about the breed before they purchase and then the dog doesn't fit into the lifestyle of the people that get them. Soo many owner surrenders are because the dog is too active, but had they looked at any site it would have told them that! Go check out your local shelter!
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Greyhounds are AWESOME apartment dogs! They don't need a lot of exercise and are really content to sleep about 20 hours a day if necessary. They can be *great* running partners if their stamina is built up (my retired racers were built and trained for sprinting). I've been building my guys up slowly. They can go a good 2.5 miles now if the temp isn't too high.
    Greyhounds vary in size from about 40 pounds to about 100 pounds and come in something like 160 different color combinations. :tongue: Retired racers don't have a lot of genetic health problems like a lot of dogs because they're bred for *health* and athletic ability. Plus, if you adopt a retired racer, they'll probably already be trained pretty well to heel on lead and house trained.

Fantastic dogs (I have 2)!
  • allisontaylor
    Options
    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE adopt a doggie that would otherwise be put to sleep at a shelter! Please don't buy one, and please make sure to get it spayed/neutered! Mutts have many less health problems than full-breeds. A good friend of mine has a pug that she trail runs and hikes with often - and it does awesome, but again, no need to get a full-bread anything! Good luck :)
  • liz72
    liz72 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Beagles are barkers, and I'm not sure how well a Border Collie would do in an apartment. They need a lot of exercise and probably need to keep busy since they're a "working" breed.
  • vanimami
    vanimami Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I have a german short haired pointer and we also got him because my bf and I are active as well. They're medium sized: males are between 55-70 but it's all muscle, they are not big dogs. They are very high energy dog, though, so if you plan on running with them daily, you should be fine. Mine does not bark very much, actually we call him a mute :huh: but every dog in a breed is different. I would recommend just to do your research, though :smile:
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Mutts have many less health problems than full-breeds.
    :noway:
    This is not necessarily true. There's nothing special about a "mutt" and they can have just as many genetic problems as poorly bred purebreeds. If you did choose to buy a purebred dog from a breeder, though, PLEASE research your breeder thoroughly. There are way too many irresponsible breeders out there (I'd say about 90% of breeders are horrible and are in it for the $$, not bettering the breed).
    2 of my dogs are rescues from horrible back yard breeders. 1 was bred for bones so thin that he can hardly walk without breaking a leg (has broken 2 since March). The other was kept in a tiny cage and was used as "breeding stock." :cry:

For apartment living, stay FAR away from any herding dogs (collies, border collies, shelties, corgies, shepherds, etc). They *will* go nuts without adequate exercise (and it's a lot of exercise).
  • VballLeash
    Options
    Don't worry everyone, I'm already planning on adopting one! I filled out the adoption pet form already :happy: Thanks for the help, now I'm more confused but I need to make sure I get the right kind of dog, I don't want a loud dog, so I have to look into that for sure!

• duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    When our family selected our dog (Duffy) I did a quiz on the internet. We ended up with a schnoodle which is a schnauzer poodle mix. He is perfect for us as we needed a hypoallergenic dog. He is not a good running mate because he has all that terrier need to chase and sniff. If you are in an apartment and want a quiet dog but also want a good running companion, have you considered a Whippet. Size wise they aren't too big. But most of all I encourage you to research research research! When you are selecting your breed and then again when you are selecting your individual dog.
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options

oops - didn't think about that being a bad word - shame on me!

cocker spaniel - poodle mix :wink:

Your dog IS cute!! My parents have a standard poodle who is a really good girl but barks a lot.

I have a jack russell and DH and I think she is the best dog in the world! Very sweet, affectionate, and full of personality. Of course, that breed isnt for everyone. They are very very energetic and require a lot of attention. They are very easily trainable. I've had 2 of them and never had trouble potty training them or breaking of bad habits. Good luck!